Log In Sign Up

Juliana's birth story - long

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2009, 08:10 PM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,960
This will probably be a bit long....it was a pretty crazy few weeks!

Most of you already know about my kidney stones, so I'll be brief about all of that. I first went to the ER Friday evening, May 22nd with severe (read: vomitting uncontrollably in the parking lot) back pain. I was 37 weeks 2 days and not sure if it was labor or kidney stones again (I had them in Dec). I was eventually diagnosed with probable stones and sent to ER. I was given morphine and discharged. I went back to ER the next morning, was admitted for the night, and discharged Sunday. I lasted 4 hours at home. I had surgery to remove the stone Monday night, was discharged Tuesday, and was back Tuesday night. Finally, things seemed to settle on Wednesday. I went home but refused to take any more percocet....my baby had had so many drugs already!
Friday morning I woke up at 4am itching like crazy! I had been itching while in the hospital but I blamed it on the pain meds. I took a bath and couldn't get it to stop. My routine OB appointment was at 10 am so I decided not to call, just to go to the appointment. The doc brought up Chloestatis of Pregnancy, which essentially means jaundice caused by pregnancy. I had already found this in a google search, but decided not to tell her about my "research". I was sent to L&D for an NST and more liver testing. My liver functions came back abnormal, but baby looked great. They decided I should be induced, but they couldn't get me in till Sunday night. I went home and got a call from my doc, letting me know that my liver functions were actually quite high, and she thinks I may, in fact, have the very rare Chloestatis. So, I started to google again, finding that this particular disease can be very dangerous to the baby, especially a baby at 38 weeks (further along is actually worse in this case). I started freaking out, feeling like a ticking time bomb. My husband called L&D to check if we could get refered to a different hospital, we are willing to drive instead of wait at this point. The on call doc says "well, can you just come in now?" I say "YES" even though I'm nowhere near ready. We get things together as fast as possible and drop Cori off with friends at midnight. They place Cervidil at 1:00 am Saturday, May 30.
Twelve hours later, when they remove the Cervidil, I'm contracting but not dilating any more. We decide to give it a few hours before starting Pitocin to see if my contraction pattern will pick up. We walk and walk. A few times it seems like it might, but by 5 pm, I'm still not dilating past 2 cm. We start the pitocin. The nurse increases the pitocin every 15 minutes. Things start to get a bit more intense, but I'm laughing and joking with DH and our doula. I'm sitting on the birth ball at this point. At 7:30 pm, doc comes in and wants to break my water. I am nervous about this because she is still quite high and I don't want to stall and end up with a c-section. We decide to do it and I spend the next half hour being cleaned up repeatedly because of the giant flood that comes with each contraction. Apparently, I have a very high amount of amniotic fluid. By 9:30, I'm at 3 cm 80 % effaced. I know that effacement is my goal....then things will move fast! At about 10:30 I get to use the telemetry unit which will allow me to walk the halls (the girl who had been using it opted for the epi). I'm thrilled. We walk and I have to pause and hold the railing for contractions. I also should point out that 3 women are in labor in my very small town hospital....where they average less than one birth a day. I get checked at 11:30 and am at 4 cm, 90% effaced. We start walking again. By now I'm having to lean against DH and have him hold me up while I relax and breathe through contractions. Our doula keeps telling me how impressed she is that I can relax so well. Another woman comes in to the hospital in labor. At this point I lose track of time. My contractions are taking so much out of me that I'm not super chatty between them, I just try to rest and keep walking. The doula notices this and decides I'm definitely progressing and maybe we should try the bath tub. I say okay. DH is all for this too, as I think he is getting pretty tired from supporting my weight during contractions. The warm water feels wonderful, but things really start to intensify. I now feel tons of pressure down low and in my back. I lay in the tub until I'm too warm and then ask to get out. Getting out turns out to be tough so I lay draped over the edge of the tub for a few contractions. I get out and go to the bed to lean against it...the doula has raised it up to standing height. Now, I'm squatting my hips and swaying with each contraction. DH is applying counter pressure as well. Between them, I just lay my head down and rest. The nurse wants to check me, but I don't really want to get into bed. I'm at 8 cm, completely effaced. I roll over to my hands and knees and lean up against the back of the bed. I'm starting to feel "pushy" but I don't say anything yet because the urge is not overwhelming as I remember it with DD. A few contractions go by (probably 15 minutes)...then OMG I'm pushing NOW!! Doc comes running in ready to catch the baby even though I'm still on hands and knees. I manage to turn over after the contraction and doc quickly checks. I'm ready to go and baby is LOW. Three rather intense pushes later, she is born at 2:45 am. I realized afterward that I had no concept of time at that point. They could have told me 1 am or 5 am and I wouldn't have thought anything of it. Our doula announces that she has never seen someone push a baby out so quickly. After her birth, Juliana comes to lay on me for awhile. I get two quick stitches then doc literally runs out of the room. Apparently, they were holding the girl across the hall (who was complete BEFORE me) off because she had an epi and they knew I would be really fast. Her baby was born about 15 minutes after mine with the same doc.
The afterwards part was way worse for me this time around. I got the shakes really bad and they had a bit of trouble controlling my bleeding. They left me on pitocin for about 2 hours and had to cathederize me (YIKES). Juliana, however, was perfect, healthy, and rooting for food within a few minutes. She weighed 6 lbs. 14 oz. and was 20.7 inches long. 2 oz heavier, 2 inches longer, and 2 1/2 weeks earlier than Cori. We got to go home the next day. Overall, I'm thrilled with how well things turned out, given all of my complicating circumstances. Despite the induction, I still managed to labor the way I had planned. And, of course, I finally have my LONG awaited little one!
Oh, I forgot to mention, before my nurse was even finished cleaning Juliana and I up, ANOTHER woman shows up in labor and ready to push! So, 5 babies were born in less than 8 hours and 4 of them were with the same doc! They had to call in nurses from all over the hospital to help out.

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
Reply With Quote
June 4th, 2009, 09:11 PM
klt klt is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,233
Wow! 5 babies! unbelievably busy night/day for the docs and nurses.

Thanks so much for sharing the story. I was about to head to bed when I saw that you posted. Couldn't pass up reading your birth story. You sound like you did a phenomenal job! Wow. I am soooo impressed. DH sounds like he was awesome too! So supportive (physically and mentally). And, Juliana came so fast! only 3 pushes...that's what my second L&D experience was like (but I had the epi ) I hope things continue to go well. I'm so glad the doctor induced after determining what was going on. Keep us posted, when you can. We all know you're a busy momma! Congratulations again. What a miracle. Also let us know the results of your scan! Take care. Give baby a squeeze!
Kelty---Mom of 4 boys!

Reply With Quote
June 5th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,070
Wow -- what an amazing birth story. I'm so proud of you for going through the INDUCED labor without any pain medications. So excited that your family of four is now safe and sound at home. What a precious miracle and what an amazing birth story!

Reply With Quote
June 5th, 2009, 06:30 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,318
Thanks Kelly for sharing your story. What an ordeal to go through, I'm glad to hear that Juliana is doing great, and you deserve a medal for handling all of your problems and labor like you did - you are amazing!
Reply With Quote
June 5th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,095
What a great birth story! I am so happy that you got to have your med free delivery, despite being induced. You are a very strong woman. Congrats again on your beautiful bundle.

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0