Log In Sign Up

What am I to think?? (OT)

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected]om.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2012, 04:19 PM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,741
Ok, I know a few of you are aware of my situation with our medical insurance. Well, we finally get it starting the first of next month. We have been stressing about it though because it will cost is $700 a month and still has a deductable of $2500 per person/$5000 for family. On top of that, prescriptions are not covered until the deductable is met. Needless to say with how tight money is right now, we are scared about this, but it is a necessary evil. I've paid a few thousand out of pocket already for the last 4 months, so I was grateful to have something in case of an emergency.

Well here is the kicker. The hubby calls me today at lunch. His old work buddy from back in Las Vegas, who lives here now, offered him a job at his firm. This would be doing what he did for years before coming here to Texas. When we moved here, he actually took a demotion just to have a job. Beggers cannot be choosers in this economy.

My problem is that we are just NOW getting insurance through his company because we missed the open enrollment last year. If he were to take this job, we would be out insurance for another 3 months, which cuts it pretty close to delivery. Plus, we would still be paying out of pocket for my visits and u/s's. They need someone now, but I told the hubby unless they are offering you a minimum of $10k a year more not to take it. He was insulted and said he would take $5k more a year if they'll give it to him. Arg!! Anyway, I am not for sure the job is a yes right now, but I am terrified none the less. The hubby is happy because what he did before was his passion, and I am scared of losing insurance again.

I just do not know what to think....

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
Reply With Quote
February 9th, 2012, 04:42 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: illinois
Posts: 8,894
I guess Im confused, would any insurance company cover your pregnancy now anyway? Your half way through it, would that not be considered pre-existing condition? Or does it matter through a group policy? Ive never had a job that would let me have benefits while existing pregnancy was already diagnosed. I also was an employer who offered health insurance with maternity coverage, but if the employee was already pregnant prior to employment, Blue Cross Blue Shield would not pick it up.

Hopefully all will work out and you have already verified that coverage will take place upon enrollment. I say to wait out the job movement until after your pregnancy if that is the case. I would not want to jeopordize not having a 10-15k vaginal delivery not being paid.
momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

Reply With Quote
February 9th, 2012, 04:47 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In yonder mountains
Posts: 9,339
I thought that there was a law saying pregnancy was not a pre existing condition because it endangered the life of a child if no prenatal care is given. That is what people told me when I lost insurance coverage right before delivery and I had insurance right at delivery with a different company.

I am so sorry that you have to worry about this. it would be a really rough decision but you just need to figure out what is best for your family. It is never a one size fits all world.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

Reply With Quote
February 9th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 10,074
Don't quote me on this cuz it could change by state. But I thought they had to cover you even if you are pg. I had no problems switching from DH to mine, they never even asked me anything. I would call and ask. It's weird that you would have to wait that much for coverage. With DH, since it was an "event"- I lost my insurance, I got coverage right away.

Reply With Quote
February 9th, 2012, 06:13 PM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,741
Well there are 2 sides to this. Yes, pregnancy cannot be considered a preexisting condition anymore, so they have to cover me regardless of an existing pregnancy. This is also group coverage provided from his work, so it also works out that way. Also, we had to wait because I lost my insurance last year literally right before I found out that I was pregnant. They will only make an exception if there is a birth, divorce, marriage, or adoption to enroll anyone before the open enrollment.

On the other side, if the hubby gets a great offer but does not accept it right away, there is no offer and no job. It is one of those things that will not be around in 3-4 months when I deliver. He would qualify though for insurance literally right before the delivery, so at that would be covered.

I mean, I feel like I am jumping the gun here, because they were going to talk it over either tonight or tomorrow during lunch. DH has been literally looking for a second job because things are so tight, but if this job pulls through he will not need one. Probably way better benefits too. Then again, should I let him risk it when his job is so secure where he is at?? Bleh... He came home super excited at working in structural engineering again too. He kept saying that maybe this is God's way of working things out, but I am just so unsure.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
Reply With Quote
February 10th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 5,820
You get COBRA for two months after quitting a job where you had insurance. Also, your new insurance is likely to deny expensive things under the "pre-existing condition" excuse anyway. I am a believer in having a job that makes you happy. I had a high paying job once that I hated and I learned that I'd rather make less money and be happy than to have more money and be miserable.
Reply With Quote
February 10th, 2012, 05:02 AM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,070
I have a friend who was able to negotiate insurance benifits immediately upon hire because his wife was pregnant. Of course there is no gurantee, but I can assure you there are "exceptions" made to waiting periods all the time. I believe he negotiated something like a delay (6 months) in the full salary he was going to get in exchange for the immediate benifits. Good luck!

Reply With Quote
February 10th, 2012, 05:42 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 17,624
He *should* be able to start the insurance plan the date the coverage ends with the old insurance the new insurance should start the next day. I used to work for human resources and upon starting a new job he could make it the condition that the insurance start immediately. They (the employer) can start it at any point for a new enrollment for employment. But you can only make the changes then once a year at open enrollment except for birth, death, marriage, divorce or loss of benefits. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Expecting my baby boy May 9th
Emergency cerclage put in 12/24

Reply With Quote
February 10th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 865
I agree with Katie...that's how our insurance works too. when you get hired it's considered one of those "qualifying events" and you get like a month or so to decide if you want to sign up for insurance and which plan you want and then after that you have to wait until open season or until you have another qualifying event - birth - to make changes to the policy. hopefully it works out for you guys! Otherwise i would look into COBRA like PP said.
DH - Matt
DS - Owen 2yrs old (5/28/2009)
Twin Girls - April 23, 2012 (38 weeks)

3 angels (08, 10, 11)
Reply With Quote
February 10th, 2012, 08:55 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 16,621
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I agree- he could have the insurance effective immediately and you do have the cobra option. The waiting period is not set in stone.

Reply With Quote
February 11th, 2012, 09:45 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,966
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
Im sorry all this money and insurance crap sucks here too.
We are scared hubby is going to loss his job and not sure what would happen with insurance and how long we would have to wait to be able to get new at a new job.
With the insurance we have now its $2000 deducable per person plus 30% of all the bills.
The OB office wants me to pay them in full before April 1st ($2700.00) Then I will owe 30% of what ever the hospital bill is.... I dont have the $2700 yet and I still have so many baby things to buy.
I just turned in our taxes and hope my we can get them back and they can deposit the return in time.... and hope the return can cover the hospital bill.

My mom just sent me a $200.00 check so I can go buy a travel system so I have a car seat to bring baby home in.

Reply With Quote
February 13th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Delaware (the state!)
Posts: 7,513
Ugh, what a dilemma. But, I agree with Courtney, having a job that makes you happy is better than anything else. Plus, if they offer him a job, ask that he negotiate with them on the insurance and have him explain the situation - like others have said, that waiting period is not set by the insurance company, it is usually for employers to ensure that their employees won't take advantage of insurance benefits and then leave soon after hiring! It's worth a talk if they are serious about hiring him, I wouldn't have him bring that up until they make him an offer, then he can negotiate.
4/2008 8/2011

Reply With Quote
February 13th, 2012, 12:17 PM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,741
Well we find out soon, maybe even today if they are going to submit a real offer and not just a verbal "we want you," so I guess it is just a wait and see now.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0