Baby Food or Gastrodisaster?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Boos Moo
  • 1 Post By lelila
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2014, 06:19 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
SIL strikes again! This is kind of funny and kind of sad, but I had to share. You all remember the dramatic story of my clueless SIL and her daughter's birth in September. And I'm sure you all know my MIL and her insane interference. Well the combination of the two can be pretty awful.

MIL is basically teaching SIL how to raise her baby. The latest is baby food. Baby is now 5 mos old and on solids.

Oatmeal, Raw Bananas and Half and Half. Yep, you read right. No formula. No more BFing. No mixing rice in with the formula. Straight to Half and Half. That's the stuff you buy in the milk section of Walmart, yes. What's next? Coffee and a danish?

Tell me I'm being mean and judgmental.

Wife to Big Bull 41
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
March 14th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, you're being mean and judgmental! That said (joking), wow that is crazy. Is your MIL originally from another country? I know it can be common to start them on solids earlier in other areas, but oatmeal (I'm picturing the thick stuff, but maybe they are thinning it out with the half and half)? And half and half huh? I think yes, coffee is the next step, though you can pass me the danish Well I hope for baby's sake SIL gets a clue.
Ame C likes this.

March 14th, 2014, 08:57 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Marsi was on SOME solids at 5 months. But she got my milk till a couple months past a year. I hope that they leave you alone about how you raise your baby. That would make me go bat crap crazy if they tried to tell me to do those things!!

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 14th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Just keep breathing.
lol, I'll have some coffee, too. Add an espresso shot in mine!I'm a ftm, so I really don't have a clue about baby food. BUT I was just at newborn care/infant cps class, and they talked a little about introducing solids. The nurse did make a good point about how doctors/nutritionists/health types are objecting to how much processed food people eat- and then the very first thing we feed babies is rice cereal and formula. Still not so sure the half-and-half is a good option. But oatmeal and bananas actually doesn't sound that bad.
March 14th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boos Moo View Post
Is your MIL originally from another country?
Nope. Born here, though sometimes I wonder if maybe she came from Mars. ALL her children were on solids by the time they were 5 months (is what she says) as well as BF'd until they were in college. Of course, every single one of her kids is overweight (including DH), has intestinal issues (DH has Crones and Colitis) and treats their kids the same way and now their children are all overweight at a young age. BIL was feeding whole slices of pizza to his son at 12 months and that child had intestinal issues at the age of 6 (and was still in diapers) and is nearly 100 lbs and he just turned 7. My other BIL's second son was 12 weeks early, premie, and is now 4 years old and weighs nearly 50 lbs. and has chronic acid reflux. DH's older sister has two teenagers both over weight with IBS.

I flat out refused to let her feed DS solids at 5 months, though she tried to give him CHILI at 6 mos!! He didn't get rice in his formula until 6 mos when he started sitting independently, pureed veggies until 9 and mild table food at 12 mos. (he didn't pop his first tooth until 11 mos, so how could he chew?).

I might have been a paranoid first time mom, but my kid is the only one of her grand kids that is thin, doesn't have intestinal or gastric issues AND doesn't have cavities. He's also the only one that is NOT a picky eater and eats a well balanced diet.

Ok, I AM mean and judgmental!
Ame C likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 41

March 14th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Just keep breathing.
Yikes! Your MIL is nuts! I feel bad for her kids and other grandkids. 100 pounds at age 7?!? That's awful. Poor kid.
March 14th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelChicago View Post
Yikes! Your MIL is nuts! I feel bad for her kids and other grandkids. 100 pounds at age 7?!? That's awful. Poor kid.
I know. I feel so bad for him having to wear diapers at the age of 6 because he can't control his bowels. That poor kid is traumatized. He's now on meds, but his parents feed him crap food (in my opinion 2 big macs, large fries and a large soda for dinner is crap) and he can eat a whole bag of candy or chips while watching a movie. That doesn't help his health issues.

I often wonder why parents continue poor habits like that, especially with today's knowledge about childhood obesity, diabetes, etc. Both DH's parents have Diabetes and Heart Disease in their families. That scares me that DH is prone to it without his weight issues. Add weight and health issues and his chances go up dramatically.

This is why I have worked SO hard to put together our little farm and have an organic household. Keeping my family healthy is one of my top priorities.

Wife to Big Bull 41

March 14th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelChicago View Post
lol, I'll have some coffee, too. Add an espresso shot in mine!I'm a ftm, so I really don't have a clue about baby food. BUT I was just at newborn care/infant cps class, and they talked a little about introducing solids. The nurse did make a good point about how doctors/nutritionists/health types are objecting to how much processed food people eat- and then the very first thing we feed babies is rice cereal and formula. Still not so sure the half-and-half is a good option. But oatmeal and bananas actually doesn't sound that bad.
. U

March 14th, 2014, 02:46 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow. Just wow. No, you're not being mean and judgemental! Your MIL is bat **** crazy. 100 lbs at 7? Bowel problems and in diaper still at 6? Some people are not fit to be parents. She might as well sign off his death certificate now. Ugh sorry you caught me on a bad day but seriously...stuff like that makes me SOOO mad! You are not being a paranoid mom, you're obviously doing the RIGHT thing because your kid turned out healthy! Good job!
Ame C likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 18th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The only thing that giving a child rice cereal will do is teach them how to eat from a spoon...it doesn't have any real nutritional value. Oatmeal and bananas may not be terrible, but they shouldn't only be eating that if they are getting solids. At 4 months, I introduced a little oatmeal (rice with DD1 because I didn't really know better at that point), just as an introduction to spoon feeding, it was very watered down with formula. 6 months was when they really started eating veggies and they should be introduced slowly, mostly so that you can determine if they are going to have reactions. it's a learning curve, but your MIL is clearly helping bad habits form. We had a friend that came over when DD1 was newborn and they had a 6 month old, they brought over a pizza to share with us and handed their 6 month old the crust with some of the pizza still on it. I was SHOCKED! And that child has weight issues now, partially genetic from her father's side, but that kind of habit didn't help!

March 18th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Right, you watered your baby's oatmeal down with formula. NOT Half and Half. I am still in shock thinking about it.

Wife to Big Bull 41

March 19th, 2014, 08:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I don't get half and half...weird!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search