Log In Sign Up

Toren's update (pic heavy)

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to board[email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By Ame C
  • 1 Post By JackieV
  • 1 Post By kaylakay
  • 1 Post By Boos Moo
  • 1 Post By lelila
  • 1 Post By humnck
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 1 Post By MelChicago
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,915
Thursday morning was a challenging and emotional for all of us. It was the day of Toren's surgery and he wasn't allowed to eat before. The last bottle of milk he had was at 11:30pm the night before and a bottle of pedialight (or however u spell it)at 6am. Before it was surgery time he had already gone 7.5 hours without eating/drinking and was really upset! They gave him a paci with some sugar water to dip it in. It really didn't help but at that point he was so exhausted from crying for so long that the paci was just enough to get him to pass out for the rest of the time we waited, which wasn't too much longer. I kissed him goodbye and cried of course. It was hard letting him go but at the same time I was happy that he was finally getting "fixed".

I was told the endoscopic surgery would take 45-60 minutes. After about an hour and 15 minutes the nurse walked out. As she was walking up to me I could see disappointment on her face. The first thing I thought was that she was going to tell me Toren didn't make it... She approached me and said "I'm so sorry, they JUST NOW started the surgery. They had a really hard time finding a good vein to get the IV in. It will be about an hour, but I will give you a call as soon as they are done and let you know how he's doing." -- OMG! My heart skipped a few beats, but I was just so happy everything was okay!!

It only took 45 minutes before I got the phone call, all was well! He was being taken to picu and they would come get me and take me to him when they had him and his room all situated. The wait felt like forever, but it wasn't long, maybe an hour. I had a hard time keeping track of time after this point. They took us to his room and he looked amazing!! Practically no swelling at all!

The next few hours were a bit hard. He was in pain, crying in and out of sleep. He would jump every now and then from what I can only assume were shock waves of pain that would come and go. They gave him a shot of morphine before they even took him to his room, but it had already worn off after only 3 hours. I was practically begging the nurse to give him more drugs! She kept telling me he was hungry (I could tell the difference in his cries, he was in PAIN) but I fed him a bottle... whatever I had to do to prove he wasn't crying for food. He took a few sips from the bottle but couldn't stop crying long enough to get much of anything but an oz. Most of it probably dribbled out of his mouth while he was screaming. The nurse finally gave him some Motrin after an hour and a half total of him crying out in pain. It didn't help.... his blood pressure was getting really high and his heart rate was going up in the 250's!! I was starting to get really upset and about to get nasty with the nurse but thank God there was a shift change right then and the new nurse came in and was immediately like "When was the last time he had pain killers?" I told her he had Motrine about an hour before she came in and that the other nurse wouldn't give him morphine and thought he was only crying because he was hungry. The new nurse was like "OMG! Let's give this poor baby some drugs!!" She looked on the computer and said Dr Jimenez initialed that it okay for Toren to get morphine every 2 hours if needed. So he finally got his second shot of morphine after about 2.5-3 hours of being in constant pain . Almost immediately he stopped crying,dozed off to sleep and his vitals went to normal levels.

Around 11:30pm he started acting more like his normal self and in a lot less pain. He was happy and playing with his toys. Chewing on his toy rings and watching tv, lol They discharged him around 1pm the day after surgery. That's when his swelling was the worst but still not bad at all! He was still in some pain. He was okay as long as I was holding him but as soon as his head laid down on anything he would start fussing. We are alternating between Motrin and Tylenol but today he has been TONS better! He doesn't hardly fuss in pain at all when his head presses against stuff now. My little superman!

We are home now. Got home last night. We were planning on staying the weekend in San Antonio since he has more appointments on the 9th and 10th for his helmet, but we were all tired and wanted to sleep in our own bed. There's no place like home! It feels sooo good to be back!! Toren slept about 8 hours last night before waking up to eat. He's recovering amazingly well and everything is going great!! I couldn't be happier at this point. We are all feeling much better now!

^Waiting for Toren's name to be called.

^He was such a cutie in his hospital gown!

^Pre-op, getting his vitals checked.

^About an hour post-op. This was before the morphine wore off.

^About 9-10 hours post-op. Chewing on his toy rings and watching tv.

^ About 9-10 hours post-op. Playing with his toys.

^I almost got a smile

^9-10 hours post-op.

^1 day post-op. Discharged and waiting for daddy to pull the car up. This is the worst his swelling got (if you can see his puffy head/face). This is the only picture I got of the swelling before it got better and went away.

^2 days post-op (today 7th). His 2 small bandages. It's amazing those are going to be the only two scars he will have from the huge amount of bone that was cut out and removed.

^2 days post-op. Life is good

^See a difference?

Reply With Quote
June 7th, 2014, 05:53 PM
JackieV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,741
Oh, Ame. I am so happy to read this great update. Sending positive thoughts and prayers for a continued fast healing for Toren. I couldn't imagine all of that stress on you watching you sweet rainbow baby going through that. You are a trooper! Sending continued T&P to you and your family!
Ame C likes this.
Reply With Quote
June 7th, 2014, 07:17 PM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,472
You can totally see a difference!!!!

What a trooper. I'm glad he's doing great figuring all he's been through.
Ame C likes this.

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
Reply With Quote
June 7th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,249
Oh Amy so glad to hear he's doing so great. Though that really stinks they didn't call you or come out and tell you the surgery got delayed and the first nurse wouldn't help him more with his pain. Hugs to Toren.
Ame C likes this.

Reply With Quote
June 8th, 2014, 06:48 PM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,235
What an amazing post! I'm so glad for Toren and for you! What an amazing transformation! Hooray for Toren! Looking forward to seeing more great news in the coming days!
Ame C likes this.
Leia 42 yrs young

Wife to Big Bull 41
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
Reply With Quote
June 9th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Delaware (the state!)
Posts: 7,513
I am so glad that he is doing so well! He looks great, he is way too cute in his gown and in the photo you captioned "Life is good" - he looks like he is throwing his arms up in victory! LOVE IT
Ame C likes this.
4/2008 8/2011

Reply With Quote
June 9th, 2014, 09:33 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 14,409
That first picture is awful. you can tell he's not happy. I'm so glad that it all went ok and that he's ok.

How long will he have to wear a helmet? I don't think I knew that you would have to do that also. You can definitely tell a difference in the before and after.
Ame C likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
Reply With Quote
June 9th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Just keep breathing.
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,734
Sending giant hugs! I'm so, so glad everything went as well as could be hoped for. What an ordeal for you all.
Ame C likes this.
Reply With Quote
June 11th, 2014, 09:07 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 6,913
I had read your updates on FB, but didn't hear about the mean nurse not giving him drugs. I would have been really PO'ed about that. I'm so glad someone new came on and was able to give him some more morphine to help him feel better. Poor widdle bubby! So glad he is doing so well now. He looks so happy!
Ame C likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0