Unplanned after history of spina bifida

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2017, 05:18 PM
I was wondering if anyone has experience with this. I am pregnant and it was unplanned. My husband and I had a child who had spina bifida so we were prescribed high dose folic acid. As this pregnancy was not planned we were not taking the high dose folic acid this time preconception. Has anyone had a history of spina bifida and not had the folic acid and what was the result? Thanks so much!

July 23rd, 2017, 01:58 PM
Veteran
Sorry, I don't have experience here. But hoping everything goes well! Be positive Mom! And eating well now can help , along with the supplements, even if you were not before.
July 27th, 2017, 09:40 AM
I just wanted to reply with an update in case anyone else is scouring the internet looking for answers to questions similar to mine. I spoke with my doctor and he said single focus spina bifida, not caused by another chromosomal issue or another disease process but JUST spina bifida, has a 1% chance of recurrence. Some studies have concluded it could be as much as 5% but that can be due to multiple uncontrolled factors. I also asked him about AFP tests and he said if it is open spina bifida your numbers will be off the chart it's not going to be just a on the cusp or a little above, but if it is above they have to investigate just to be sure but open neural tube defects will be extremely high. My AFP came back today negative for an open NTD! So I am one of the lucky 99% this time. But I will always take Folic acid now no matter what!!!
July 29th, 2017, 10:18 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebird05 View Post
I just wanted to reply with an update in case anyone else is scouring the internet looking for answers to questions similar to mine. I spoke with my doctor and he said single focus spina bifida, not caused by another chromosomal issue or another disease process but JUST spina bifida, has a 1% chance of recurrence. Some studies have concluded it could be as much as 5% but that can be due to multiple uncontrolled factors. I also asked him about AFP tests and he said if it is open spina bifida your numbers will be off the chart it's not going to be just a on the cusp or a little above, but if it is above they have to investigate just to be sure but open neural tube defects will be extremely high. My AFP came back today negative for an open NTD! So I am one of the lucky 99% this time. But I will always take Folic acid now no matter what!!!
Yay! That's good news!

Tags
folic acid, spina bifida, unplanned

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search