Log In Sign Up

AFP Results

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,201
I got a call from the doctorís office last evening. My AFP results came with down syndrome screening positive and they wanted me to have an ultrasound done at a high-risk Obís office asap. When I called into schedule an appt, they said they can not fit me in for today(Friday) and asked me to call back in the morning at 8am to see if someone has cancelled. I just kept crying and praying that it would be a false positive. I just could not relax. My husband tried to give me all the support I needed and told me that we will deal with it together. I called up in the morning and told her that I am stick to the stomach and can not wait to get the u/s. she told me that I can just go and wait at the office, whenever there is an opening she would get me in and asked about the insurance details and now my docís office had to send a referral note to the insurance and a lot of other things happened. Now I go into the docís office and they took me into the u/s right away and the high risk Ob was so nice, he did all the measurements on the baby and told baby looked fine (like heart, back of the neck, length of the legs, weight, circumference of the head etc). But they still can not guarantee that there was no down syndrome. Only Amniocentesis can guarantee but if they do the amnio test the risk of having a miscarriage is increased. The doctor suggested waiting for 3 weeks and then getting the 2nd level u/s might help in making a decision to go for amnio or not. I am just stressed over it. Do not know what to do. I just can not think straight right now.

Do you know anyone who had a +ve AFP and what did they do and how was the baby born?
Reply With Quote
March 9th, 2007, 12:13 PM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,732
You must be beside yourself right now with worry. I've heard quite a few stories of the screen coming back positive, but baby being just fine. I'm glad DH is being supportive. You'll get through this. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
Reply With Quote
March 9th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Posts: n/a
to you.

The thing to realize about the AFP test is there are very high rates of false positives. This is the main reason why I chose not to do it in the first place. That and I would not have an amnio and had no plan on terminating the pregnancy.

The good thing for you is everything is measuring normal. So mostly like you are one of the MANY false positives. When I was trying to decide whether or not to get the testing or amnio done, my doctor said I should think about this: what would I do with that information? Would I terminate the pregnancy? Would it help me prepare?

I hope you can find some answers and find peace in whatever decision you make.

Reply With Quote
March 9th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 56,618
I am sorry you are having to go through this stress...

I have heard of quite a few false positives with this test, I hope that yours is one of those!

Reply With Quote
March 9th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Posts: n/a
Ok, well, I can kind of relate. When I had my test, it came back ok, but when I had my u/s to find out the sex they told me they needed me to come back in to see more of the heart. Turns out there is a spot on her heart that causes concern. They call it a "soft" marker for downs, BUT after looking at it again they think it could just be a calcium deposit, BUT they can't guarentee me 100% that she isnt' downs. ALSO, my sil had the nucal fold (back of the neck) come back that her baby was downs and guess what, she had him in December and he is so perfect and healthy!

I think that all will be ok for you and your little sweetie. I didn't go further and do the Level II u/s, and an amnio wasn't even offered to me because they said one marker coming back just isn't enough reason to do one, especially since they really think it is just calcium...BUT I am very aware, that when I deliver my sweet little girl, there is a chance of Downs....to me, it doesn't matter, I can't change anything by knowing anymore info or getting any more tests done, termination was/is just not an option for me, so I left it in God's hands and know he will take care of us.

You are in my thoughts and prayers, I remember when I heard these news too, I was just so sad, and in fear, and every emotion you can possibly feel!! Your DH sounds like a great support for you, lean on him for strength!

But here are some and more for you!

Also, when I did research, I found there are more false positives between the tests and "soft" markings they find that 80% of the time the tests are incorrect and the babies are perfect and healthy!! Hope that can ease your mind a bit!
Reply With Quote
March 9th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Daniellea22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,076
Send a message via AIM to Daniellea22
aw im so sorry your so scared. i have heard of so many false positives with that test though..atleast 5 so try to hang in there and just keep positive. is this your first child?
<div align="center">
Reply With Quote
March 9th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,107
I, like the other girls, have heard (and read) that the rate for false positives is very high. I know that may not be much comfort until you have a definitive answer, but you will get through this.
Shannon, proud mommy to:
Reply With Quote
March 9th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,201
Thanks so much for your support! I really appreciate your inputs. Me and my DH are going to talk tonight or over the weekend about getting the amniocentesis done or not.

Baner, I also believe that God is our caretaker. Thanks a ton for your support. I will keep you all posted.
Reply With Quote
March 9th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Spotis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,926
I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Like others have said, I'm thinking this is probably a false positive. I know when I had my Nuchal Translucency test done at 12 weeks (screens for Downs), DH and I had a talk about the "what if...." We came to the resolution that if we have a child with Down's, it will be just as precious to us. It helped having recently held a 6 mo. old baby with Down's - I know all babies are sweet, but this one was just soooooo sweet. He was one of the happiest babies that I have ever seen, just smiling and cooing at everyone. I know it's disappointing to think about, but if you keep in mind the worst case scenario, your child has Downs and you're going to love that baby no matter what, it may help with the stress. I'm sure it's just a false positive though.

Your in my T's & P's.

Nolan John turns 2 on 8/28/09
Thank you Jessica for the siggy!
Reply With Quote
March 10th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Mom2LinaNangels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,170
I have to add my feelings. If you plan on keeping the baby if it has Down's Syndrome than I don't suggest you get the amnio. I am sorry but there is still a chance for miscarriage. Someone from the loss boards was told her baby had Downs and had the amnio at 17 weeks even though she didn't want to terminate. Her family just wanted to know. Well her water broke a few days after from the pin hole and after they kept her in for 10 more weeks the baby was born at 17 weeks and lived for 9 months. She was so underdeveloped from the lack of fluid for the last 10 weeks that she went through so many complications and eventually died. It has made me really think about Amnios. Her daughter DID NOT have Down's syndrome and would be here today without that amnio most likely. It is your decision, but I always have to give this warning, because it does happen. In your case it really sounds like a false positive. And like I said if you plan to keep the baby anyway and just want to know before birth, than maybe wait til you are further along and the baby is viable. Sorry for sounding rude, but I just think people should know the chance of it happening is slim, but does happen. Best of luck to you, hang in there.

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0