Log In Sign Up

Triple/Quad screen

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2007, 11:47 AM
Daniellea22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,076
Send a message via AIM to Daniellea22
how many of you had this done? I had an ob appointment today..it was offered to me and i had given permission at my first prenatal visit but i declined it today. My ob does the quad screen. I have another appointment on the 16th and its my last chance to get it done if i want it.

I am iffy on it..im scared of a false positive but it would be SO great and ease my mind SOO much if it were to come back fine. It did with my son!

Problem is..because of the possible hematoma that i had i could get a false positive reading and i hate to take the chance of amnio and risk of m/c. Im confused. Any advice?

also i have a level II u/s on the 30th of this month..could they detect problems them? I asked today and my 12 week u/s was perfect..i asked about the nuchal fold etc. and all was normal.
<div align="center">
Reply With Quote
April 2nd, 2007, 12:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 18,680
I refused all of those tests due to the false positive rates, and it wouldn't change anything for me if it was a true positive since I'd never terminate. I think they just cause undue worry. You can't change anything and after dealing with recurrent pg loss I believe that it's out of our hands and I'm trying to be as naive as I can be since I already know too much.

Good luck with yout decision! (((hugs)))
Thank you Claire1977 for my adorable siggy
For the special little one in your life!
Reply With Quote
April 2nd, 2007, 12:07 PM
Daniellea22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,076
Send a message via AIM to Daniellea22
i couldn't agree more. It would change nothing for us too. id just like to be prepared and not go into something not knowing how to handle it kwim? The only thing pulling me towards doing it at all is the chance they will call and say all is well. But im not sure even this blood test could tell that..only amnio can i believe.
<div align="center">
Reply With Quote
April 2nd, 2007, 01:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,201
I did it this pg, not in my previous two. I did as per my Dr advice and unfortunately it came back positive. I can not tell you how much I have gone through (but half of it coz of DH’s stupid family and their influence on my DH). 2nd level u/s will tell you only about the major physical abnormalities but not all and of course not all kinds of down syndrome. I was totally convinced after the u/s that everything is fine but DH wanted to make sure everything is fine and after many of my family friends (doctors) suggested that risk of m/c is very less, we went for amnio. But without my MIL’s interference probably I would not have gone for amnio at all. I did 2nd level u/s and then amnio. I was so relieved when the amnio results came back normal, atleast I can breathe a little easy until I deliver. Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote
April 2nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,732
I opted not to do it, for the same reason as Nicole. I wouldn't have terminated, so for me it wasn't worth going through the waiting, worry, and potential for false positives. I've had u/s at every appointment, so that's been enough reassurance for me. If we discover tomorrow that something isn't right, we'll deal with it then. We gave this pg to God at the very beginning and trust Him to help us deal with whatever comes our way. It's a tough decision, but I'm sure you'll do what's best for you.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
Reply With Quote
April 2nd, 2007, 02:07 PM
jessjillmama's Avatar ***Staying Positive***
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Coushatta, La
Posts: 7,892
I did do it with my son and it told me nothing. I am not doing it this time.

The thing is even if you did know, its really hard to prepare. Nothing can really prepare you for it.

With Jakob we never really knew for sure if Jakob would be born with problems or not. We just knew something was off with his brain but they weren't sure if he would be retarded or normal. So I worried like crazy and had a very stressful pregnancy.

With this pregnancy I am going to do the ultrasounds and maybe a fetal MRI to look for the Joubert but mainly just because I want to know if my baby will possibly need NICU or not. I will try to prepare myself emotionally as best as I can but even if they see no signs of Joubert I have to assume the baby could still have it.

So its a bit complicated. I am okay though with the ultrasounds since I get to see my baby. All the other test that don't really tell me anything I pass on.

Its of course totally up to you though.

And also my situation is very very rare, 1 in 100,000.
Wife to Brian since October 2004, Mama too:
Jakob (May 12th 2004- Feb. 24th 2009 Had Joubert Syndrome RIP)
2 Baby beans lost
Ava Sept 14th 2007, Beaux Oct 3rd 2012
* Tubal reversal December 17th 2010

Reply With Quote
April 2nd, 2007, 03:42 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 56,618
the only test i received was the NT test - and i only had the scan done, didn't have the blood test taken. If i was offered any of the other tests, I would have declined all of them, because of the chance of a false positive (I know too many people who've had false positives)..

Reply With Quote
April 2nd, 2007, 06:27 PM
Daniellea22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,076
Send a message via AIM to Daniellea22
yeah me and dh talked and he is glad i declined it and so am i. sometimes i question myself on things i decide when it comes to my kids but it won't make a difference for us and it would probably make my pregnancy even more stressful and i refuse to have that..its not fair to the baby either. i love my baby..thats the bottom line. thanks for all the support
<div align="center">
Reply With Quote
April 2nd, 2007, 06:50 PM
Posts: n/a
i don't even know what those test are...so apparently i never had them done
Reply With Quote
April 3rd, 2007, 07:19 AM
Posts: n/a
I declined them as well for the same reasons previous posters gave. I am really trying to enjoy this pregnancy and I will handle whatever God blesses me with. Plus, I've heard the false positive rate is as high as 80%. And at my doctor's office, she goes right for the amnio if you want further testing and there was no way I was going to have an amnio.

Either way it's a personal decision, and either choice is the right one for you. Good luck.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0