Log In Sign Up

Beth 11/19/09 emergency c/s unintentional general anaesthesia

Cesarean Section Experiences, and Birth Stories

Members of the cesarean section board give detailed accounts of their time in surgery.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Experiences, and Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,033
I went into the hospital on Wednesday, November 18, 2009, at 6 pm for an induction, because I was 41 weeks and to be honest, everyone realized without being evicted, Katie was not going to leave her cozy little world to join the rest of us on the outside. We were intending to have a vaginal birth until more than 24 hours had passed without Katie arriving (DH jokes now that she got stuck and didn't have 4 wheel drive to get out). The doctor had me agree to have an epidural so he could perform a c-section. The first needle stick did not work out well (punctured my spinal sack and spinal fluid was leaking out) so the head of the anaesthesia (or how every it is spelled) department did the second needle stick. The second one was clean and the doctor asked me if I was okay. I said that I was then when he asked again a moment later, I didn't answer him. The meds had went through the leaking spinal fluid up to my brain and caused my lungs to stop working (instant code blue for l &d). This made the c/s suddenly an emergency one. It was the same as having general because I don't recall anything until they were taking the tube from my throat. There was no information given to me on what was happening, of course, if they had talked their heads off to me, I wouldn't have actually been processing what they were saying.

I was really fortunate that they let DH go in with me when they were delivering Katie. He was able to give me the actual information about what happened at Katie's birth. I suspect he was allowed in the OR because they were half afraid that one or both of us weren't going to make it and they wanted him to be able to say his goodbyes. Katherine Elizabeth came into the world, yelling her displeasure at being stuck for more than a day at the top of her lungs, at 7:25 pm on 11/19/09 (roughly 25 1/2 hours after my induction had started). DH got to see Katie immediately and even cut off some of the extra cord that they left when they initially cut the cord (not sure if they did it because they knew how much it would mean to us or not, but I am so glad he was able to do it). They did the checks then took Katie to the nursery to do the hearing check. DH got to hold her and even did the skin to skin contact since I was still being sewn up. Katie never left his sight during the first hour and when he joined me in the recovery area as I was waking up, Katie was also nearby. The first thing I did upon waking (raspy voice and all) was ask about my Katie Sunshine. The nurse who had been with us from the early morning brought Katie to me (even though her shift had technically been scheduled to end a couple of hours earlier).

I was in pain (controlled by ibuprofen and darvocet) during my entire hospital stay and after going home on Sunday afternoon. I was headachy (thanks to spinal headaches caused by leaking spinal fluid) and felt as though I had been ran over by a freight train. I wasn't able to bf although I did try so hard. They had a catheter in and a morphine drip with a pain pump thing that allowed me to dose myself as needed. I didn't use the morphine other than the little that went through the IV solution preset and had the catheter and IVs removed by Saturday. The hardest thing about the post op experience other than the headaches which were not actually caused by the c/s, was being attached to the IVs and stuff which made holding Katie a real pain in the bottom.

The thing I want everyone reading this to understand is that my emergency c/s was caused by something that is a one in a million thing. I was the first person in the 30+ years that the OB had personally seen this happen to. I was the only person in the history of the hospital (near South Bend, IN) who had had that experience. The majority of the problems I had were caused by the spinal headaches and not by anything done during the actual c/s. I had very little incision pain and once I left the hospital and had the spinal headaches solved with a blood patch, I only had to use a few doses of the 800 mg ibuprofen. I never touched the darvocet once I had the blood patch on the day before US Thanksgiving.

Last edited by MomtoKatieB; April 4th, 2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Needing some editing
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0