Log In Sign Up

Melinda's Repeat C/S November 2008, Spinal

Cesarean Section Experiences, and Birth Stories

Members of the cesarean section board give detailed accounts of their time in surgery.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Experiences, and Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2010, 03:13 PM
meli.ann's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,715
I was scheduled to have a c/s on 11/18, but woke up on the morning of 11/15 with contractions. After timing them for awhile, I called my doctor, who told me to take a shower, pack a bag and head into the hospital to see if I was in labor. Once we were at the hospital, and I had gone through registration, they got me into a room. I put on a gown, gave a urine sample, and they hooked me up to a monitor. Once they saw that I was in labor, they started preparing me for the c/s.

They had a hard time getting an IV into my arm, and they had me laying with my arm hanging off the side of the bed. The baby's heart rate kept dropping, so they'd have me change positions. They stuck my arm so many times that by the time they were done it was swollen, bruised and there were spots of blood on the floor. Lovely! Great way to start a c/s They were finally able to get an IV in me, and the assistant anesthesiologist led me into the operating room. Once in there they had me climb up onto the table, and told me to bend over in the shape of a C as best as I could. At my hospital they do both spinal and epidural. The assistant was able to get the epidural in, but something went wrong and she wasn't able to do the spinal. Some spinal fluid leaked when she tried, and they warned me that it may cause a spinal headache later (never did, thankfully). With my 1st c/s I had the "lightening bolt" feeling go down my leg when they did the epidural, but it didn't happen this time.

They had me lay down on the table, and that is when they inserted the catheter (again, different from my first c/s when they did it before I was taken into the OR). They got me better positioned on the table, propped a rolled up blanket under one hip to keep the baby happy/keep his heart rate from dropping again. They put the curtain up in front of me, and put the oxygen tube up to my nose.

The doctor came in and made some small talk with me while he pinched my leg to be sure that I had no feeling. Then he got started, and a few seconds later my husband was led into the room. There was one doctor, the assistant anesthesiologist, and 4 nurses in the room. My husband sat at/slightly behind my head during the c/s. After a few minutes I felt the tugging sensation, and knew that the baby was on his way out. The doctor told my DH to stand up and take pictures, and at one point asked him if he got the picture, joking that he couldn't put the baby back in

Right after that DH left with the nurse to go watch them clean the baby. They were working on closing me up when my DH came back with the nurse and baby. They held the baby close to my face so that I could see him and give him a kiss, but I couldn't hold him because my arms were still tied down.

DH left again while they finished closing me up. During this part I became sleepy, and I think I dozed a little. Then they wheeled me back into my recovery room (I never changed tables, unlike my 1st c/s - they just moved it). I knew from my first c/s that I would probably itch and have the shakes, and I did. When I started itching, I told the nurse and they gave me Benadryl. The shakes set in, but they weren't nearly as bad as they were after my first c/s, and they went away fairly fast. The big problem was that once they got me into recovery, they discovered that the morphine that they had on hand had expired a week earlier. So they had to make a call to the hospital pharmacy for more, and it took FOREVER to get it to my room. I was starting to really feel the pain when they finally came in with it. That part definitely wasn't fun, and if I ever have another c/s I'm going to ask them before I go in for the c/s if they have non-expired morphine waiting for me!

After about an hour I was moved to my permanent room. The fun continued there when the nurses asked me if I could move myself from the bed I was on, to the bed in the room. Um, right! And when they moved me, they tossed me a bit roughly and let's just say ow. The baby was brought in almost immediately and I was able to breast feed. They kept me on a morphine pump for the next 24 hours. I was able to push a button to administer the medication. I learned to do so whenever I knew they were going to have me move around.

The next day I was able to get up and walk into the bathroom. I had very little pain at the incision. Again, different from my first c/s. I didn't have horrible pain with my first, but walking the first couple of days was a little uncomfortable. With my 2nd, I was moving around the room, practically like nothing had happened, about 24 hours after the c/s. The problem though was that my right leg felt like it was dead asleep. When I would walk on it, I'd get a horrible pins and needles feeling. That happened until the next day when it finally started wearing off. Because of that, the next time I have a c/s, I'll insist that the anesthesiologist is in the room when the epidural/spinal is administered. He never showed up until after the c/s, and I really think the assistant messed up more than just letting some spinal fluid leak.

When I was sent home, I was given a prescription for a mega dose of Motrin, and also percacet. I only used the percacet once when it was too soon for Motrin. The Motrin was sufficient the rest of the time. Another difference from my first c/s is that the bleeding was MUCH lighter the 2nd time around. I bled for maybe 2 weeks, and it was very light. And another difference, I didn't have horrible gas pains with the 2nd c/s. Very easy recovery.
Proud mama of Cody {02.06} and Luke {11.08}

Sometimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero. ~Marc Brown

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0