Log In Sign Up

Stella Lenore 11-6-08

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 10,208
I know that she is nearly 18months old, but this subforum did not exist when she was born, so I am posting it now. Warning: its long!

The short story:
3 weeks early. Pre-e. 28 hours of labor. 20 minutes of pushing. No repair. Jaundice. Delayed coming home.

The loooong story:
Tuesday November 4th
At my 36 week appointment I had protein in my urine so the doctor ordered a 24 hour urine and some blood work. At my 37 week appointment I found out that those results were not good. Before the doctor told me my results I told him that if he needed to put me on bed rest I would not fight him on it. He said "I don't think that keeping this baby in there any longer is doing us any good." He then told me that I would be going to triage instead of to work that day. I thought this meant that I would just be monitored for a little bit then sent home. Boy was I wrong! I went to his nurses office and she was on the phone scheduling my induction for the next morning. I started freaking out! I was not ready at all. Thank god they let me go home and pack a bag before going to the hospital. Then off to the hospital we went.

I laid around all day Tuesday at the hospital. I was not happy because I did not understand why I needed to be there all darn day when they would not be starting the cytotec till late that night. Plus the girl who put my IV in had to give it 2 attempts and ended up putting it in my left hand, even though I asked her not to put it in my hand. I am left handed to I had almost no use of my dominant hand because of where she had put it. Needless to say, my birthing experience was not going the way I wanted it. I told every nurse I came across that I wanted my IV changed and they all just shrugged it off. About 10pm they started me on cytotec so to get me dilating. I was only 1 cm when I was admitted.

Wednesday November 5th
They were supposed to start my pitocin at 7am, but they were a ton of women birthing that morning and They did not start it till about 8-9. Overnight I have made it to only 4 cm with the cytotec. Shortly after the pitocin was started I got up to use the bathroom and leaked the whole way there. The nurse came in and checked me and there was still a question about if that was my water breaking or not. Then the contractions started, and did they ever start! Apparently I was not the nicest person to be around at that point. I got stadol and that took the edge off for a couple hours. I wanted to put off getting my epi as long as I could, that did not go as planned either! Once the stadol wore off they gave me demerol. It did nothing to the contractions, but put me to sleep between them. I was contracting every 3-5 minutes and falling asleep between every contraction. I caved and asked for the epi. Putting it in did not go as smooth as I wanted, I had several contractions while they were doing it, and it seemed to take forever. Luckily my nurse was someone I knew and she was awesome at talking me through it. The epi slowed down my progress, but it was so nice to be a civilized person again!

That night I had a great nurse who finally got my IV moved. Bless her! All through the night I had to lay somewhat on my left side because every time I lay in any other position the baby's heart rate would drop. There were nurses in and out of my room all night long. I was exhausted so I did manage to get some sleep.

Thursday November 6th
My nurse checked me at about 530am and told me I was about 8 cm. She came in to get me vitals less than an hour later and I told her I was feeling some pressure, almost like I needed to poo. She checked me again and said I was almost at 10cm and would probably be pushing within an hour. DH was asleep in the chair bed and sprung up when he heard the words 10 and push. It was so funny, he went from dead asleep to wide awake! I called my mom to let her know that things would be rolling soon and that she should get to the hospital soon.

My doctor came in and checked me and told me that I was 8 cm. I said "No, they already told me I was 10cm and you can't take that back!" He explained that I was 10, but when he would push the baby's head I would revert back to 8cm. That was really disheartening. He told me that we would try upping the pitocin a bit, but if that did not work then we would be having the baby by c-section. Even more disheartening. Over an hour they upped my pitocin every 15 minutes, and I napped. I woke about 10:45am to the doctor standing at the foot of my bed. He checked me, said I was ready to start pushing and off he went to do a c-section. I had a nurse and a student nurse who were both so awesome. DH grabbed my right leg and I started to push. I pushed 4 rounds of 3 pushes and the nurse said we needed to see what the doctor wanted to do. He was still in the c-section and I was ready to go. They said he may want us to wait. I made it very clear to the nurse that I would not be waiting! Luckily there was another doctor from my group who was in the hospital so I did not have to wait.

2 rounds of pushing with the doctor and next thing I knew there was a nurse practically jumping on my stomach. Everyone kept shouting "Keep pushing!" When she came out they laid her on me and I said "She's not breathing!" Her head was all purple and she was not crying. Then I screamed "What is it?" They said "Its a girl", DH cut the cord and she started to cry. It was amazing.

Turns out the purple head was from her coming out posterior, her poor face was one big bruise. And the reason the nurse jumped on me was that she had her head out and one shoulder and the cord was around her body. I still managed to get through it with no ripping or tearing.

We were waiting to see what she looked like before deciding on her middle name. It was either going to be Lenore or Lucille. They asked me what her name was and I yelled to DH, “What’s her name?”. He picked Lenore, and I love it. He then got to go out and tell the family that we had a girl, I have never seen a more proud pappa in my life!

Friday November 7th
In the early afternoon the nurse came in and told me that Stella would need to go to the nursery to spend some time under the lights because she was jaundice. I could not go with her because my BP was running high again and they wanted me to relax. Kind of hard to do when they are taking your baby to another area and you cannot go.

Saturday November 8th
I was discharged, Stella was not. Leaving the hospital without her was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I sobbed the whole way home. We traveled to the hospital every 3 hours to feed her and get to spend a little time with her out from under the lights.

Sunday November 9th
At about 6pm Stella was allowed to go home! We were so excited to finally be taking our little one home. Being home without her was very surreal, we were ready to begin our life with her.

Monday November 10th
We went at 2pm to get her Bilirubin checked. At 6pm her pedi called and said that we needed to take her back to the hospital, she needed more time under the lights. I hung up the phone, looked at DH and began sobbing. Taking her back to the hospital was a horrible feeling. This time we got to stay with her in the nursery. They had an empty isolation room with a chair bed and they let us stay in there.

Tuesday November 11th
They had to check Stella’s hearing again since her bilirubin level had got so high. Thankfully she passed.
That night at about 7pm we got to take her home, and stay home.

Told you it was looooong. Mostly I wrote it down for myself, but if you read the whole thing, rock on!


Reply With Quote
May 7th, 2010, 01:54 AM
FruitLoopLace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: missouri
Posts: 4,215
Send a message via MSN to FruitLoopLace Send a message via Yahoo to FruitLoopLace
I loved reading this! I am sorry that your birth didnt go according to plan, but so glad your lO is okay! HUGS!

Thank You Ashypoo03 for my Beautiful Siggy
Reply With Quote
May 7th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 10,208
I did too! It had been a long while since I posted it in my PR, it was great to go back and read it again.

Reply With Quote
May 13th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,629
Wow what a story!!! Must have been hard!!! I'm terrified of them having to take me baby somewhere and me not bein able to see her. Honestly that my biggest labor fear...the pain doesn't scare me thou lol
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0