Anyone know?

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I live in surrey bc. My husband and I gave notice to our landlords because we are moving at the end of the month. We went away this weekend and when we came home the light in the bedroom, the light in the bathroom, the heat lamp in the bathroom and the fan in the bathroom were all on. Our landlord came in here, turned these all on and didn't bother to turn them off. The lights don't bother me that much but the heat lamp uses an extraordinary amount of energy, the one time we ever used it our hydro bill skyrocketed. Plus having the heat lamp and the fan on could have started a fire. I have been trying to get in contact with my landlord but they won't take my calls. I have also tried to contact the residential tenancy office but no one repsonds to my calls so I sent an email but I'm not expecting them to respond. Does anyone know if I can tell my landlord that they are not to come in here unless we are home? They are extremely irresponsible and the next time they do this it could start a fire. Plus we can't afford to pay our bill after that heat lamp has been on for an hour and it was on all weekend for all I know. I am also afraid that they will come in here and end up letting our cats out. (they have done this before to our old neighbours - I found their kitten wandering the hallway after the landlord had been in the apartment) I am just so frustrated right now, I'm not looking forward to how much our bill is going to be and I just found out I am pregnant so I don't really want to start any arbitration or any legal processes. Too darn stressful. If anyone has any advice I would really apreciate if you could help me out.

August 8th, 2006, 08:34 PM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didnt think they could enter your apartment unless they had cause ie smell of smoke etc I would be so angry if I was you and I would ask the landlord to pay for some of the bill and to please let you know when he will be having people through, not to mention being careful with the cats.

August 8th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Super Mommy
I am pretty sure they are not allowed to enter your apartment without asking permission and giving you lots of notice. I would tell them they had to pay for most of the power bill because of what they did. Just think at least you will be rid of them in a little while.
August 8th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the replies you guys. I keep telling myself that I'll be rid of them once and for all soon but that is not soon enough! These people are really the worst landlords. I don't know how I've put up with them for so long. I just can't wait till we are away from them.

They don't listen, If I tell them to turn off the lights they don't, if I tell them to make sure the cats stay inside they won't bother. I'm going to anyway but they think they can do anything they want. I think I'm either going to have to make sure somone is here at all times, or I'm gonna have to put a deadbolt on the door and climb off the balcony.

I'm going to try and get them to pay for part of the bill, I really doubt that I will see any money though. I have to somehow get a hold of the renters board people which is practically impossible. I'm going to talk to my fil, he's a laywer, he might be able to help. We'll see. Thanks again for your responses, it helped to lower my stress level. Have a good night.

August 9th, 2006, 10:21 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Legally they have to give you notice that they are entering. It has to be in writing, they can't enter otherwise, except in an emergency.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search