looking for advice

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Denise66's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies!

Hoping you all can give some advice. This is for my daughter and not myself. I am 6 Ĺ months pregnant with baby #7 and a member of the Feb DDC and have been a part of JM since 2005.

My daughter who is 21 and her husband have been married a little over a year. From the time she young she has never had regular cycles. She would maybe have just a few a year. When she was a teen I just figured it was from being in sports, but as she got older it continued. She went on the pill for awhile about 8 months or so before her wedding and it regulated it. She went off right before her wedding. She hated being on it. After that she was back to where she was before. She tried natural progesterone cream and it worked for awhile but then that stopped working. Finally a few weeks ago she went to a different dr. He did blood work and said she has PCOS. He said that her ovaries are barely working. He is also sending her for her insulin level to be check. Not sure why about that. He also said her thyroid was off. Her husband isnít ready to start a family just yet. He is a wonderful husband and will be a great dad someday. He is just enjoying it being the 2 of them at the moment. They are 21 and 23. The Dr said until they are ready for children that the best thing for her is to go back on the pill and then as soon as they are ready to start a family come in and he will start her on fertility pills. My heart is breaking for her. My husband and I have been married for 23 years and we struggled with fertility for years. I know the heartache of wanting to have a baby and it just doesnít happen. I have went thorough different test in the early years of ttc. I really think that I too had PCOS but was never tested for it in the early 90ís. I remember month after month waiting and it not happening, and then being heartbroken when those around me got pregnant so easily. I really think that I too had PCOS but was never tested for it in the early 90ís. They just always told me I never ovulated, which I didnít. We had to use fertility pills for 4 of my pregnancies. It wasnít until I was in my late 30ís that I became fertile and didnít need medicine anymore. Crazy I know. Anyway questions for you all. Is it wise for her to go on the pill? She was really miserable on it. What other options does she have? I told her that not to wait a long time to get pregnant because it could take awhile. I really think her husband should read up on this stuff so he can understand what all she is going through. There is so much more out there to do than what was available for me. I want to help her and direct her with information as much as I can. She comes from a big family and she wants children of her own soon. I get teary eyed every time I think of about what she may go through in the future, because all the heartache of ttc comes right back to me. We are very close and so much a like. I don't want to push her to hurry before they are ready but I also know that planning ahead is a good thing.

Any advice direction or anything else you can share would be wonderful. Hope you all donít mind me asking here. Thanks ladies!!!

October 26th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
Not all women with PCOS have a terribly difficult time getting pregnant. Not all women with PCOS end up having to go through loads of drugs and procedures. And there really is no way to tell who's going to have the most trouble and who isn't. In my case, it just took some time at the right dosage of metformin. In some other ladies' cases, it takes much more... the point is, it's not a death sentence to fertility and there's a LOT that can be done to help things along.

Best advice, listen to the doc, ASK QUESTIONS, do your own research... TONS of it. There's all kinds of sites out there that are full of info on PCOS. The sticky at the top of this board is a great place to start.

Good luck to your daughter and good luck to you with your pregnancy!

October 26th, 2009, 11:08 PM
MandyRS's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After all, it certainly sounds as though you had PCOS, and look at you now! I know its not the best news, but your daughter has the huge advantage of a diagnosis and a protocol for treating it. Generally, women with PCOS who want to get pregnant eventually do.

As for her current situation, if I were your daughter I would really press my doctor for Metformin instead of BCPs. I react horribly to the pill as well and refuse to go on it ever again. Even if she's not TTC right now, getting regulated on Met and finding the right dosage can take awhile. I actually feel better on Met- more energy, fewer sugar cravings, better skin, etc. If your daughter and son-in-law really want to avoid getting pregnant, IMO even condoms are better than hormonal birth control.

Definitely check out our FAQs sticky, and tell your DD she'd be welcome here anytime! Several of our ladies are WTTC, pregnant, or even done having kids. It's just a great resource and support group for anyone with PCOS. Lots of luck to your daughter (and you in your current pregnancy! ).

THANK YOU to *Sharon* for my perfect siggy.
October 27th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Sasix's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Denise - glad to see you're doing well during this pg!! with what Mandy & Bam have said. PCOS can be frightening to be dx'd with at first, but every woman is so different with this condition and each of us respond differently and needed different treatments. For me, Met was amazing in regulating my hormones and I started having normal length cycles. What also helped me lots was these ladies here, just being around others going thru similar situations. Good luck to your daughter & for your pg!!!!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
October 27th, 2009, 05:36 AM
*Stephanie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thats right, not everyone has troubles getting preggo with PCOS. I was on the BCP for years along with Metformin for insulin resistance. After we got married, I got off the BCP and it only took a month and a half for me to get pregnant. I was just still on the metformin. Now we have a beautiful baby girl. It just depends, not everyone has the same issues. As soon as I was dx'd my dr put me on the pill right away, that was around 13 or 14, so I was on it for 10 yrs straight. It really helped my periods be less painful and more steady. The side effects of PCOS are a pain for me. GL tho!
October 27th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Denise66's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you ladies for the advice. I will pass it on to Danielle. I will mention to her about the Metformin. If there is something else out there to help her besides going on the pill she would be thrilled.

Thanks so much again!!!

October 29th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I'm actually only 21 and kind of in a similar spot with your daughter. Has she tried different BCP's? I started off on othro-tricyclen lo and it made me really depressed and extremely emotional, but I switched to Yaz and that's been much better for me.

I tried Metformin and it gave me such a bad stomach reaction I couldn't stay on it, but I have other PCOS friends who are on it and adjusted to it well.
October 29th, 2009, 07:05 PM
MandyRS's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey im a nanny (I'm a nanny too!! ) ... just wanted to let you know that stomach upset is very typical for a month or so while your body adjusts and that taking the Met in the middle of your meal rather than at the beginning or end of it can help a LOT. I understand if you want to look for alternatives anyway, but just an FYI in case you end up needing to try again to conceive. Good luck, and I hope you'll stick around the board... don't be shy! We're here to help!

THANK YOU to *Sharon* for my perfect siggy.
October 29th, 2009, 09:46 PM
sportyboymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do like Met more than the BCP because it treats the root of the problem in PCOS. Also, I had horrible reactions with all other BCPs except Yaz. Yaz was amazing for me.
October 29th, 2009, 11:03 PM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyt View Post
As for her current situation, if I were your daughter I would really press my doctor for Metformin instead of BCPs. I react horribly to the pill as well and refuse to go on it ever again. Even if she's not TTC right now, getting regulated on Met and finding the right dosage can take awhile. I actually feel better on Met- more energy, fewer sugar cravings, better skin, etc.

Not to mention, the Metformin regulated my cycles so I knew when to expect my periods and when I was ovulating (for the most part).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search