Questions, Vent, Frustration

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 17th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Dirtroads's Avatar Facta Non Verba
Alright, not long ago I posted that my lab had all come back normal. This is what I was told by the nurse (also a friend of mine, I trust her completely). However, I decided to ask for copies of my lab yesterday and today I received them. This lab was drawn on CD 23. I think I O'd on CD 15. That would mean that I was in the luteal phase, correct?

This lab says that the range for Progesterone in the luteal phase is 3.3-25.6, my result was 1.3.

What do you think about this lab and what is next?

Make a pregnancy ticker
November 17th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I hate to say it but it doesn't look like you O'd....

I got the same kind of results a few months in a row before they started triggering me. I would get positive OPK's and everything, but my body never produced enough progesterone to actually make me O. I need the trigger to help me out each time.

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

November 17th, 2009, 06:38 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
kari...doesnt sound like you O'd....I dont think with progestrone that low its possible to O

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
November 17th, 2009, 07:32 PM
really? wow.

Okay, but that would have put me in the luteal phase anyway? If I didn't O? Because if its still folicular than 1.3 is fine. I'm confused, I thought luteal began after O but if you don't O then what?

My appt isn't until next month!

Make a pregnancy ticker
November 17th, 2009, 09:59 PM
MandyRS's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry you're getting mixed messages, Kandie. I agree that 1.3 is obviously not ovulatory... which means you were not in a luteal phase at all, I guess. Your siggy says you are CD6, but its possible your AF was annovulatory bleeding. Hope you get some clearer answers soon!

THANK YOU to *Sharon* for my perfect siggy.
November 18th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyt View Post
Sorry you're getting mixed messages, Kandie. I agree that 1.3 is obviously not ovulatory... which means you were not in a luteal phase at all, I guess. Your siggy says you are CD6, but its possible your AF was annovulatory bleeding. Hope you get some clearer answers soon!

I went through my whole life thinking I was pretty lucky. I had the best periods of all my friends. They came with no cramping or anything and only stuck around for a few days. I was envy of everyone.... WRONG!

I had no idea that each month I was actually having annovulatory bleeding. My RE says that my body does everything it should to gear up to O but when it comes right down to it, I don't. But there is just enough progesterone produced to force some kind of bleed in there. Are you charting? When I used to chart it was the most frustrating thing ever, which is why I gave it up. My temps were telling me that I never O'd.... very static, but then I would bleed and I'd think I must be doing something wrong.

I hope that at your appointment you will get the clarity that you need!!!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

November 18th, 2009, 04:52 AM
That is where I am confused . . . if I never went into the luteal phase does that mean I was still in the folicular phase on CD 23? The range on the lab for the folicular stage was 0.2-1.4. I guess I had to cross over some where because I obviously had another AF since then. So how do I know? Agh!

Thank you to everyone that had responded, I appreciate you!

Make a pregnancy ticker
November 18th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Cheryl_W's Avatar Izzy's Mom!
Well did your bloodwork include FSH? That'd be one sure way to tell (obviously).

I agree it looks like you didn't O, which means it looks like you're still in the follicular phase and that the bleeding you saw was annovulatory bleeding...

BUT it still refreshes the lining, so you can call it an AF as long as it was heavier than just spotting. This is according to my OB/GYN. Even though I was annovulatory, he put me on Clomid and told me to start taking it CD3 as soon as AF showed up.

So if you really are annovulatory, then yeah you're pretty much in a constant follicular phase - hence the cysts with PCOS. At least that is my understanding, although apparently FSH levels drop after the eggs are as mature as they're going to get - so you're not really folicular, or ovulatory, or in your LP... You're just - well, you're another woman stuck trying to figure out her darn body with PCOS.

With PCOS, your cysts are likely always producing progesterone (hence your levels being on the high end of follicular.)

So basically, this test tells you that you didn't ovulate - you should get your FSH tested on your next CD23 bloodwork to see if you're still in the follicular phase.

Make sense?

GL hunnie - and KUP!

Big huge hugz and thanks to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy!

- and -
November 18th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Thank you Cheryl, you explained exactly what I wanted to know. No, FSH was not tested. It was Prolactin, TSH and Progesterone.

Now I am noticing a reoccuring pain on my right side and I am wondering if I have a larger cyst again.

Make a pregnancy ticker
November 18th, 2009, 02:20 PM
MandyRS's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awesome answer, Cheryl!! I never knew that about the cysts producing a small amount of progesterone... you're like the Dr. House of PCOS!

Kandie, don't worry about a bad cyst just yet. At this part of your cycle your body is probably trying to gear up to O again... I felt reoccuring O pain from about CD6-20 or so this cycle. But now it's mostly gone away, and my body is sitting around doing nothing. Oh, except getting sick and giving me a fake slightly elevated temp so that I continue to have no idea what's going on. I'm with you Kari, I'm almost about to stop charting until my next medicated cycle, I am so frustrated with it.

THANK YOU to *Sharon* for my perfect siggy.
November 18th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Yeah. Its good in a way to have an idea of why I am hurting though. Usually when I started having these pains that didn't go away after I O'd (or thought I O'd ) I had a friend who is a PA that would calm me down and talk me out of getting excited thinking I had another "problem" cyst. Sadly, we don't work together anymore so I guess I'll have to turn to you all! You know, I have been to the women's clinic twice in the past asking for an U/S because of the pain and fearing I had another twisted cyst . . . they give me the U/S and say "yes, you have cyst but they aren't that large, you shouldn't even feel them" and send me on. No explanation of why.

So to you ladies I say a huge, from the heart THANK YOU.

Make a pregnancy ticker
November 18th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Cheryl_W's Avatar Izzy's Mom!
I don't know, I think women with PCOS feel things on their ovaries more for some reason - maybe we're more in tune with it? I know lots of PCOS women have O cramps, but you don't hear that as much from non-PCOS women - KWIM?

@ Mandy - I'll take that as a compliment Especially since House is so hot! LOL

AFAIK, the cysts don't produce much progesterone at all - not nearly as much as a corpus luteum would. But enough that after an "attempted" ovulation, levels would be slightly higher than they were during the normal follicular phase (but still within follicular guidelines, if that makes sense.) At least thats what my GYN told me, he said he could tell when I have a cyst by doing a blood test, because my levels would go up by .2 or .3 but are still under 1.5.

Here's a good article explaining hormones in relation to ovulation with PCOS - The Role of Natural Progesterone in PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)

Hope that helps

Big huge hugz and thanks to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy!

- and -

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search