PCOSers more likely to have low HcG?

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
AmandaEE's Avatar Super Mommy
Does anyone know if women with PCOS tend to have lower HcG levels? I tried to look up some information but all I found was that women with lower HcG levels tend to get false negative tests... but nothing specific to PCOS.

Anyway, just wondering.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful Siggy!
"Even miracles take a little time" -Cinderella

Follow my blog at http://jovieheart.blogspot.com/
September 22nd, 2010, 11:17 AM
Hoping To Be A Mommy
I had read that here and there.. I got a positive blood test at the dr and never got a positive HPT. It was a chemical pregnancy, but I always wonder if what I had read about PCOS affecting HcG levels had anything to do with never getting BFPs at home.. I will search for what I had read and see if I can get it to you.
September 22nd, 2010, 11:27 AM
AmandaEE's Avatar Super Mommy
ok thanks.... I'm just confused because I have had sore bbs for 14 days now and with PCOS I NEVER get symptoms, even before AF... except last month I did have sore bbs for 11 days then BAM AF came. My AF before that was back in May and before that I think was last fall when I was on fertility meds. Since I am experiencing sore bbs again, I figured I would start again but I haven't... I got a BFN yesterday morning on CD30.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful Siggy!
"Even miracles take a little time" -Cinderella

Follow my blog at http://jovieheart.blogspot.com/
September 22nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
Hoping To Be A Mommy
Isn't it terrible? I hate it.. I had every symptom in the book this month, and while I'm still waiting for AF -I can't help but just throw in the towel because I tested until waaaay late and no BFP. But the thought of just having low HcG has continued to cross my mind.. I'm sure it will til AF rears her ugly head. But, I will def look around for that article.
September 22nd, 2010, 12:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
With my first I was sure I was pregnant and kept getting negative after negative. I was really sick and eventually ended up in the hospital vomiting blood. Urine pregnancy test was negative so they ordered a CT Scan to check for ulcers. Screwed it up, ran it again. Came back in and said "we found a mass in your uterus." Scared the **** out of me! Then they said it was where they typically see a pregnancy so they requested an HCG test in addition to all the other blood work and it came back at over 120,000. A number that high and the urine test was negative. U/S the next morning showed my baby girl and they estimated I was about 12 weeks along.

I got solid negatives with my second too until 16 weeks. Finally got a BFP, they sent me to my midwife right away, she orders an immediate u/s. We confirmed my pregnancy and found out his gender in the same day.

I didn't have that problem with my third and fourth.

So to summarize, HCG is stressful and rude and I don't believe negatives until AF shows.

September 22nd, 2010, 12:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's a good question, Amanda. I will do some research on that as well.

Anna! I am blown away by your stories about your first 2 pregnancies! That's crazy! I guess the bright side was that you were pretty far along once you confirmed that you were preggo, so less waiting for the baby to arrive! What a journey!

September 22nd, 2010, 12:10 PM
Hoping To Be A Mommy
Well, THAT there gives me hope. Guess I'll secretly and silently hope til AF ends up showing. (IF she does.)
September 22nd, 2010, 12:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by natgfield View Post
That's a good question, Amanda. I will do some research on that as well.

Anna! I am blown away by your stories about your first 2 pregnancies! That's crazy! I guess the bright side was that you were pretty far along once you confirmed that you were preggo, so less waiting for the baby to arrive! What a journey!
That's true, but I was also in a car accident early with my first so she was x-rayed a lot too. I was terrified she was going to come out glowing green like a Scooby Doo monster.

September 22nd, 2010, 02:06 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anna- Oh my lord! Your story is unbelievable! That is crazy! Thank God your "X-RAY" baby is healthy!

I don't think HCG is linked to PCOS, whether it abnormally high or low, but I do think it's a very unpredictable thing.
Two women can both be 5 weeks pregnant, while one of the womend HCG is 500, the others may be 50,000.
September 22nd, 2010, 06:45 PM
SuthrnMommy's Avatar That's "Doctor" to you!
My first pregnancy had lower numbers than this pregnancy. This time around, my numbers were much higher! I don't think there is a relationship, but maybe it's just my experience!
September 24th, 2010, 06:42 AM
BuckeyeGal23's Avatar Happy Mommy
omg, Anna, I can't believe that! I have seen you say you had negatives before, but I didn't realize that was your story! Crazy, girl - I would have been completely dumbfounded. You almost made it onto "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant"!

I've never ready anything about lower hcg levels with PCOS. I haven't had any experience with this, sorry
September 24th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyto4AngelBabies View Post
I don't think HCG is linked to PCOS, whether it abnormally high or low, but I do think it's a very unpredictable thing.
Two women can both be 5 weeks pregnant, while one of the womend HCG is 500, the others may be 50,000.

I agree completely on this one . HCG varies with each pregnancy and I don't think it has much to do with PCOS . I know that we have an increased chance to miscarry , so maybe with that we have more chemicals or early losses and have low hcg?

September 24th, 2010, 02:26 PM
SuperMartianRobotMom6's Avatar Proud Mama & Happy Wife
Id believe it
Both times I was pregnant I only got a faint line even after 4 weeks.

September 24th, 2010, 08:04 PM
compassiongrl75's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi...lurker here!
Just wanted to share some info I have come across in my research. With my first pregnancy I received neg urine tests done at the dr's office until I was 16wks. With my daughter I had bloodwork done because I just don't trust the HPT's and it was positive right away. Yet when I POAS at home AFTER the positive HcG it was still neg. I really wanted the digital to post that happy little picture showing pregnant.

So anyway I looked into it and asked lots of doctors and what I was told was that it's not that your HcG levels are lower than other women but that some women don't excrete the hormone in their urine as much as other women which is why even when pregnant they still come up negative. And it's not necessarily related to PCOS. But I was told that it is pretty uncommon but it still happens as I think that's what happens to me.
So I hope that makes sense and helps!
September 25th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for sharing. I know they also suspect that sometimes the HCG takes a slight twist along the way so your urine HPTs don't recognize it. It'd be nice if they'd figure it out and come up with an HPT that worked every time!

October 17th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Hi, indeed those women of reproductive years who have ENDOCRINE DISORDERS/DISFUNCTION specifically that dx; of PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) produce very low, often NONE UNDETECTABLE.. The pregnancy is known as a "STEALTH PREGNANCY" "CRYPTIC PREGNANCY" research it.. I'm experiencing this currently... 4 negative urine HPT at home tests, 1 negative blood test <1 quantatative and a negative blood qualitative as well... Keep the FAITH Hold onto your HOPE, VISION, and DREAM in becoming a Mother.. Thinking of you & will keep you in PRAYER
Tania from Massachusetts
October 30th, 2017, 09:18 AM
I recently got negative results both urine and hcg serum . hcg level showed 0.30. Too low. But i really feel that i am pregnant.dont know what to do. So confused.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search