Introducing myself (and some questions for y'all)

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Hello! I just joined, and want to introduce myself. My name is Sarah, I'm 25, married, and I have PCOS. I was diagnosed in 2012, and have had a number of things done to try and help my husband and I conceive. HSG, three different amounts of metformin, letrozole, and now Provera in pill form (I refused deposit shot because my OB said it would act as BC - explain in a second).
I recently switched to a new OB since my previous one retired. She as put me on a 1500-calorie diet and Provera cd1-14 each cycle. I've never been on Provera before so I'm not sure what to expect.
Today (was) cd21. This morning, AF appeared. Is this normal for Provera?? I've never had a cycle shorter than 28 days, and that was only on BC.
Sorry if I'm just jumping in, I'm just not sure what to think.
December 19th, 2016, 01:16 PM
chrysalis1's Avatar Super Mommy
Provera jump starts a cycle so this is normal for Provera. I'm guessing your new doctor wants to force a few cycles to "reset" your system? Provera directly doesn't help you get pregnant, what it is is a synthetic progesterone that tricks your body into thinking you've already ovulated so your menses can start. Progesterone is created naturally after ovulation and lasts for ~14 days, and when it goes away your uterine lining sheds. So by taking it days 1-14 is not allowing a chance for ovulation in the first place. What it is doing is giving you regular menstruation. I would guess your OB is doing this to start you with a blank slate. I would talk to your OB and ask what the plan is for after though. Does she want you to do this for a few cycles, then stop and see if your body ovulates on its own? Or will she start you on a new medication? Etc.

I have taken Provera once before (for 10 days) to jump start a period and then stopped. In the next cycle after doing that I did ovulate naturally. Then my doctor started me on a pcos friendly diet, and I actually got pregnant doing that but I knew from talking to my OB what my next steps would be if it didn't work. Her plan for my next step was going to be metformin, and if different doses of that didn't work the next step was Clomid. So I would talk to your OB to see what her greater plan is, because Provera is usually used to give a blank slate and as a first step to something else.

"Mild" pcos, conceived DS1 on cycle #4 ttc
Baby B. 5/2014

BFP on first cycle TTC baby #2.. So surprised and happy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search