Ovulation prediction kits

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2016, 06:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So for the last few days I felt like I was leading up to ovulation. I have never used the ovulation prediction kits but I bought some today. I took the first one tonight and it clearly showed positive.

I have done some google searching and see that they may not be that accurate if you have PCOS. Have others used them? Were they accurate if you did use them?

Mom to Premies, IVF mom,
December 19th, 2016, 12:52 PM
chrysalis1's Avatar Super Mommy
In my experience they are still accurate but harder to read if you have PCOS, because those with PCOS tend to have elevated levels of LH naturally. My only pcos symptom is irregular cycles and elevated LH. When my pcos was really out of control, at its worst my OPK's were coming up as near-positives all cycle long. And then when I was actually ovulating they would turn SUPER positive, so dark that there was almost no ink left for the control line. Other times my body would try to O but wouldn't so I'd get several days of positives.

The cycle I got pregnant I had started a pcos friendly diet and my OPKs were so different. They were clearly negative at the beginning of my cycle and my positive was not anywhere near as dark as it was in prior times. It was just barely dark enough to match the control line. So in my experience, when my pcos is really raging, my LH is always elevated, and my OPKs always have a substantial line which made it hard for me to read it (because it would look positive but I would have to know it wasn't a true positive). Also, my true positives were SUPER DARK and still obvious compared to my negatives. On the other hand, when my pcos is controlled by my diet, my OPK results are much easier to read. There is barely anything there when it is negative and the line is just about equal to the control when it is positive.

To put things in perspective, my positive OPK when my pcos is under control is about equal to my negative OPK when my pcos is really acting up. But in either cycle, I always know the true positive because it is different from all the previous days. The only thing differently I would tell a fellow PCOSer using OPKs is to start using them for like a week or even 2 weeks before you expect to O (as opposed to a few days before). Then you can see your baseline for that cycle better. And if your cycles are long or really irregular like mine were, keep using them until AF and even paste them into a little book so you can see in retrospect around what time of your cycle they got the darkest.

"Mild" pcos, conceived DS1 on cycle #4 ttc
Baby B. 5/2014

BFP on first cycle TTC baby #2.. So surprised and happy!
December 19th, 2016, 01:01 PM
I also forgot to add that I wouldn't try to use anything digital like the Clearblue fertility monitor. They could be highly inaccurate due to the whole elevated LH thing. I would stick to the ones with the line on them because by lining them up from every day and looking at the lines, they will always show when the LH surge happens. Even if they look positive all cycle due to PCOS, you'll know your LH surge because it'll be the only SUPER positives. I would buy cheap OPK's bulk online and get like 100 of them for $15 or so, so I can take them all cycle long.

Baby B. 5/2014

December 19th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I took another one 50 hours later and it was negative. I did not get a chance to go between to get another one of the same tests and I didn't want to buy a different type.

So I think it was a real positive, but I wonder if that means that I actually ovulated or not

I was using dollar tree brand.

Mom to Premies, IVF mom,
December 19th, 2016, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing View Post
I took another one 50 hours later and it was negative. I did not get a chance to go between to get another one of the same tests and I didn't want to buy a different type.

So I think it was a real positive, but I wonder if that means that I actually ovulated or not

I was using dollar tree brand.
Fx you ovulated and caught that eggy! Sure sounds like a good sign OPKs are working pretty well for you
December 20th, 2016, 11:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
now I don't know what to think I took another OPK today because I am crazy...lol. It came up dark again. Not as dark and think as the first one, but almost as dark as the control line, and much darker then the one I took a few days ago So was my first one real or just a fluke, do I just go through phases that I am spiking but not ovulating....so many questions now

Mom to Premies, IVF mom,
December 22nd, 2016, 09:40 AM
You might be going through phases that are spiking but not ovulating.. that has happened t me before .... One time I spiked twice in my cycle until I actually ovulated on CD35... it is your body gearing up to O but not being successful so it tries again. That can happen with PCOS bc we sometimes produce a lot of extra immature follicles that compete with each other and make it take longer to get down to one fully mature and ready egg; I would keep taking the OPKs and also start bbt temping if you can because that was how I knew for sure which spike was real

A positive way to look at it is that at least you know something is going on, there are people who get zero line on OPKs all month and that is a whole new set of problems

Baby B. 5/2014

December 22nd, 2016, 06:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
so I took another opk today. I compared all three the one I took last week was very clearly the darkest. The one from 2 days ago is dark but not nearly as dark, and not as dark as control line, and the one today is still clearly a line but much lighter then the others, so clearly the amount seems to be going down since the first one so I guess the means that the first was my real spike? I hope so!

Mom to Premies, IVF mom,
December 23rd, 2016, 01:46 PM
Eeee congrats I think so too! This means you can start testing soon if you like to POAS

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search