will someone please give me their opinion

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2005, 09:32 AM
cantwait2BaMommy's Avatar Regular
[B][FONT=Geneva][SIZE=7][COLOR=purple] I am a 23 year old married female and me and my husband are wanting a child.. I've been to an OB-GYN b/c I've never had regular periods. I have alot of the symtoms for PCOS and I brought it to his attention and he said that was "out of the question" so he wouldn't even consider that an option. I haven't had a period since January of this year. He put me on Provera in November 2004 and I had a cycle.. I had a cycle in December with the help of Provera and I had one in Jan. with Provera but after that he said he wasn't going to give me anymore prescriptions. He told me that we was going to "wait a few more months and I should be regulated" It is now August and I still haven't started. I called him to see if he would give me another prescription and he said NO!!! What would you suggest? Does it sound like I could have PCOS and if I do does that mean I won't ever be able to conceive a child? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

<center><font face="verdana,arial,sans-serif" size="1" color="black">days til our 2 year anniversary</font>
</center>
August 2nd, 2005, 10:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
First, FIND A NEW DOCTOR! What a jerk. All doctors should listen to you! Remember they work for us, we don't work for them. And there are hundreds of good ones out there! I have been to over 30 different ones. The first doctor that I went to told me I was to young to have problems like this. LOL ... 5 yrs later I sent my records to him! What makes you think you have pcos, what symptoms do you have?

There are lots of different problems that will cause you not to get af. If your not getting it at least once every three months your health care provider should be concern'd.

If you and Dh are really interested in having a baby soon, I would recommend seeing an RE.

August 2nd, 2005, 11:51 AM
cantwait2BaMommy's Avatar Regular
well, for one I don't have a monthly cycle, excessive hair growth, acne, oily skin, and a light case of dandruff, and overweight. I could be wrong about having PCOS but according to some of the reasearch I've done online it sounds like i COULD have it..

<center><font face="verdana,arial,sans-serif" size="1" color="black">days til our 2 year anniversary</font>
</center>
August 2nd, 2005, 12:09 PM
Leslie=)'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would also suggest that you find a new doctor ASAP!!! It is hard enough going through this process if your health care provider is not listening to your concerns. I would probably try to find a good ob/gyn who will do a routine check-over when you tell them you are wanting to get pg, if there are any underlying problems they should turn up and at least you will know where to go from there.

As for you having PCOS, your symptoms sound suspicious and I would definitely express these concerns to a good doctor who is willing to listen to you and wants to help you. But even if you do have it, there is no reason to believe you will never conceive, you just may need a little more assistance. I have PCOS, and with the help of excellent doctors I am now expecting a baby girl Nov 10. There are several other women on this forum as well who have PCOS and are currently pg. Good luck to you and definitely keep us updated on your progress.
August 2nd, 2005, 01:13 PM
baner
I agree with the other lades!! You need to find a different doctor! One who actually cares and listens to you!! Good Luck!! Keep us posted!
August 2nd, 2005, 01:32 PM
sandycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree find a new doctor... You need a doctor who will run tests on you..

Keep us updated!
August 3rd, 2005, 08:47 AM
monkhester
OMG!!! Get away from him!!! You need to find a new doctor quickly. Apparently, he is one of the old schoolers that believe that PCOS is more a mental condition than a physical, serious medical one. PCOS had a long fight being recognized as a serious disease. I think this mostly comes from it be a 'female' disease.

Absent of cycles should be a red flag to any doctor that something is not right. It is NOT normal for a woman to NOT have periods in absent of meds/medical procedures to prevent them.
August 4th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Regular
Quote:
Originally posted by walkergm@Aug 3 2005, 09:47 AM
OMG!!! Get away from him!!! You need to find a new doctor quickly. Apparently, he is one of the old schoolers that believe that PCOS is more a mental condition than a physical, serious medical one. PCOS had a long fight being recognized as a serious disease. I think this mostly comes from it be a 'female' disease.

Absent of cycles should be a red flag to any doctor that something is not right. It is NOT normal for a woman to NOT have periods in absent of meds/medical procedures to prevent them.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
August 4th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Regular
New here...but a long-time PCOS patient. You really need to find a new dr! Any physician, regardless of specialty, that doesn't take into consideration their patients' wishes, shouldn't be a physician.

As for the "cycles", just because you used Provera and had a period, doesn't mean you had a cycle. A cycle requires ovulation, and if you truely have PCOS it's very unlikely that your ovulating. (Sorry, I just found this out myself, after 5 yrs of ttc. Thought you might like to know early on.)

When you find a new physician, you need to ask him about doing an intrauterine ultrasound. This will confirm or deny the presence of PCOS. (The many, many cysts {which are unreleased eggies} give it away.) THEN... you should ask about a serum insulin blood test to determine if you have insulin resistance causing the PCOS or if you may have what's called Syndrome X. That's what I have and you seem to be describing it to a "T".

Just a thought

aglionz

ps. sorry for that last post forgot what to do.
August 9th, 2005, 01:15 PM
michelemybelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Definitley find a new doctor. I had a great one for years who was totally understanding and dumbfounded about my symptoms, but simply wasn't educated on PCOS. But you should NEVER feel belittled or made to feel crazy or not taken seriously by your doctor.

PCOS is complicated, some people just have PCO (just cysts on the ovaries and little other symptoms) but the idea is that PCOS is a SYNDROME. There isn't really a specific test that can confirm except an internal vaginal ultrasound to see if you have cysts. But that along with your other symptoms is what usually results in a diagnosis.

Sadly, a lot of people think it is relatively harmless and more of an 'inconvenience' of irregular cycles and hair growth, but it is a MEDICAL condition that needs to be treated and can affect your fertility, hormones and insulin.

If possible you should be referred to an endocrinologist as well as an OB who can work together to treat your symptoms and help you regulate your body.

Don't give up, be persistent and take charge of your health!

Good luck!

Michele

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search