Log In Sign Up

Attitude


Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
May 17th, 2009, 01:28 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 27,575
Have you ever gone to a different parish besides your own for Mass and found you really prefer the way your parish does things?

We went to DH's parents' parish today and it's a pretty solid orthodox parish, but it makes me glad we're at our parish instead of this one. There is so much respect for the Eucharist at our parish. Today I had to take Mary out and like five people came up to me ogling over Mary. I'm glad they are so friendly, but I was trying to pay attention to Mass through the doors so it was kind of annoying. I noticed a lot of people were wearing jeans today, and a lot of people walked in late... and there was like a mass exodus (no pun intended, lol) right after communion but before Mass was actually over. Also, there was a sign advertising the Church nursery at this parish. It said: What? Church Nursery When? During the 10:00am Mass Why? So you can enjoy Mass again.

I was like, what?? That sign made me really glad our Church doesn't have a nursery. I guess as a parent I want to feel encouraged to bring my children to Mass, and I want there to be other children there so my kid doesn't stand out and annoy everyone because no one is used to children being at Mass. Children at Mass means no one can enjoy the sacrament? I really thought that was a terrible attitude to be promoting.

Sorry, lol, had to get it off my chest I guess.
__________________







Reply With Quote
  #2  
May 17th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Julka
Guest
Posts: n/a
Well, at the parish we attend every Sunday, I would say 95% of the parishoners wear jeans to Mass (I do too most of the time, really), and there are always people coming in late, they usually sit down during the first reading. It's very annoying. I don't know about the jean thing, I guess I do dress up the girls a bit nicer than casual for Sunday Mass, but haven't been doing so myself all of the time.

And I complained recently about the whole nursery thing; I intially thought it was really great and thoughtful that they destroyed the "crying room" and turned it into a shrine, but then the priest complained about children distacting Mass and being "all over the place" and that the back of the church area was not a "play room" and I was really annoyed. How can he say it's important to bring children to Mass and at the same time be so unrealistic and expect small kids to behave all of the time? I donno.

But I do LOVE the Cathedral downtown, everything is a lot 'stricter' there. Granted, that Cathedral is a "tourist Cathedral" and there are constantly visitors to Toronto there, but it's still so much more formal.

At least in our Parish, the choir recently started wearing 'uniforms' or whatever it's called, but they all wear the same clothing, where before each person wore whatever and it just didn't look good and was distructing.

The parish you attended, Lizzy, sounds a lot like some Protestant churches I've heard of or been to - crying room, more relaxed in terms of speaking during service, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
May 17th, 2009, 03:37 PM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ATL
Posts: 1,902
I love the Cathedral in Toronto, very pretty!

I love my parish vs. the parish that also is attached to the kiddos school; I feel like a particiapant in the Mass at my parish vs. an attendee when we go to Mass at the school's parish.

Jeans down here are the norm as well as baseball uniforms, soccer uniforms, and shorts, tshirts and flip flops for Mass Attire. the first time I attended a Mass down here, I was positively overdressed.
__________________
And now there are 6....
Traci 14
Leigh 9
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
Reply With Quote
  #4  
May 17th, 2009, 09:01 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 27,575
Aww, well I guess there are different norms everywhere in terms of attire... I hope I didn't offend anyone. But it was really the attitude of children being an annoyance at Mass, and like tons of people running in late and running out early that was mostly bothering me. I mean, how many of those people, if they had some really awesome seats to an incredibly exciting sporting event would slide in late and slide out early? And I would argue the banquet of our Lord is more important than ANY sporting event!
__________________







Reply With Quote
  #5  
May 18th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 15,647
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
Wow, I've never heard of a church nursery before during Mass! I don't think there is such a thing over here. Some Parish's have crying rooms so that if you have a particularly restless child there is a place to go so as not to disturb other parishioners, but our's doesn't. Our Priest just talks a bit louder The older parishioners love seeing young kids during Mass, even if they are causing a bit of chaos!
Fortunately our Priest is very child friendly and doesn't mind little ones playing in the aisle during Mass as long as they aren't running up and down etc. Jaidyn used to play in the aisle and dance to the hymns! Now she'll happily stay beside me in the pew and will stand, sit & kneel at all the right times. She doesn't make a sound during Mass and I think that is because she has become used to it. She has been since birth and because we don't have a crying room I got used to trying to keep her quiet and I guess she has gotten used to being quiet (she makes up for that at home )

As for leaving after Communion, there are a few in our Parish that do and I just don't get it! I mean Mass doesn't last much longer so why do people feel the need to leave? Late comers are pretty common too and the thing that makes me laugh is that it's usually people without kids or just one or two! I'm sorry but if I can manage to get my 4 kids ready and be sat in the church at 8:50am ready for 9am Mass why can't others? Plus they can get their kids to school for 9am so why can't they get them to the church?!!

Admittedly the 'dress code' in our church is pretty much jeans etc. Our Priest says he doesn't mind what people wear as long as they are there, which is the main thing I guess. If there's something going on like First communions most parishioners dress more 'fine', but jeans and T-shirts etc are the norm.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
May 18th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Julka
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzy27 View Post
Aww, well I guess there are different norms everywhere in terms of attire... I hope I didn't offend anyone. But it was really the attitude of children being an annoyance at Mass, and like tons of people running in late and running out early that was mostly bothering me. I mean, how many of those people, if they had some really awesome seats to an incredibly exciting sporting event would slide in late and slide out early? And I would argue the banquet of our Lord is more important than ANY sporting event!
Yeah, totally. I completely don't understand the being late part. I mean when someone goes out to see a movie in a theatre, they're usually there at least 15-30 minutes early to get good seats, right?

The attire thing... HONESTLY, I wish it was more formal. But we'd all look like dorks in our parish if we dress super formal within everyone else wearing jeans & t-shirt. I know it technically shouldn't matter to me, but selfishly it does. I do try to wear something a bit more formal than jeans & swearshirts, maybe nicer semi-formal pants & a sweater, but not like a formal dress or a skirt. I'd feel so weird. The other thing is that we usually go out with the girls afterwards... mall, park, etc. and it would just be uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaidynsmum View Post
Wow, I've never heard of a church nursery before during Mass! I don't think there is such a thing over here. Some Parish's have crying rooms so that if you have a particularly restless child there is a place to go so as not to disturb other parishioners, but our's doesn't. Our Priest just talks a bit louder The older parishioners love seeing young kids during Mass, even if they are causing a bit of chaos!
Fortunately our Priest is very child friendly and doesn't mind little ones playing in the aisle during Mass as long as they aren't running up and down etc. Jaidyn used to play in the aisle and dance to the hymns! Now she'll happily stay beside me in the pew and will stand, sit & kneel at all the right times. She doesn't make a sound during Mass and I think that is because she has become used to it. She has been since birth and because we don't have a crying room I got used to trying to keep her quiet and I guess she has gotten used to being quiet (she makes up for that at home )

As for leaving after Communion, there are a few in our Parish that do and I just don't get it! I mean Mass doesn't last much longer so why do people feel the need to leave? Late comers are pretty common too and the thing that makes me laugh is that it's usually people without kids or just one or two! I'm sorry but if I can manage to get my 4 kids ready and be sat in the church at 8:50am ready for 9am Mass why can't others? Plus they can get their kids to school for 9am so why can't they get them to the church?!!

Admittedly the 'dress code' in our church is pretty much jeans etc. Our Priest says he doesn't mind what people wear as long as they are there, which is the main thing I guess. If there's something going on like First communions most parishioners dress more 'fine', but jeans and T-shirts etc are the norm.
Your priest sounds great And wow @ Jaidyn. I can only wish Natasha behaved that well. She just runs up & down the aisles and talks loudly. *sigh*

People here leave after communion too. Sometimes after communion, I am like, "wasn't there a lady sitting beside me before? Where did she go?" I also don't understand people leaving right when the ending hymn starts but the priest haven't walked out yet. I find it disrespectful.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
May 18th, 2009, 07:37 AM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ATL
Posts: 1,902
I still dress up, I make the kiddos dress up, and the few times that we were late was the traffic in and out the church it can be a nightmare.

I cannot understand people who bail after communion. I have had to bail in the middle of a mass if I was on shift and we got a call, but we are unobtrusive as possible.
__________________
And now there are 6....
Traci 14
Leigh 9
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
Reply With Quote
  #8  
May 18th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 15,647
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julka View Post


Your priest sounds great And wow @ Jaidyn. I can only wish Natasha behaved that well. She just runs up & down the aisles and talks loudly. *sigh*
He wasn't all that great when he first arrived, he's kinda mellowed over the years He came from a very big Parish where he had to be more, how shall I put it, strict (not quite the word I want, but I think you get what I mean), but once he settled into our small Parish where he only had one school instead of 6, under 1000 Parishioners instead of 10 000, I think he realised he could 'relax' a bit He knows every kid's name, remembers every kid he's Baptised and Jaidyn thinks he's amazing! I really hope and pray he stays with us until God takes him Home, he's been a blessing to our Parish.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:35 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0