NFP research study

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2009, 12:05 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Here is a like a friend of mine sent me to a NFP research study being conducted:
Marquette University | Natural Familiy Planning | User Registration

Being only 5 months postpartum I haven't really read much about it so I'm not endorsing it in anyway but thought I'd pass it on in case any of you would be interested. It looks like you can get a free ClearBlue fertility monitor out of it.

Shawna I would be interested to hear what you think of the ClearBlue fertility monitor - I don't know much about it but do have some friends who use it.
May 31st, 2009, 09:09 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well the ClearBlue Fertility Monitor by itself isn't reliable for avoiding pregnancy. Used in conjunction with the Marquette Model of NFP, nothing wrong with it! The only concerns I have about the Marquette Model is that it's relatively new without a lot of study to verify it's effectiveness, the test strips for the monitor are an ongoing cost, and it can't be used by those with long, irregular cycles. But other than that, I've been following this study with interest and am eager to see what the findings will be.

One of the gals over at NFP/FAM is actually participating in that study. If you don't have dire need to avoid pregnancy and are in the market for a new method of NFP, why not?
June 1st, 2009, 12:57 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never heard of it. Is there any benefit to it over the other methods? I guess given the additional cost, I would prefer people be spending time and resources promoting Creighton or Sympto Thermal or Billings instead of creating a new model.

June 1st, 2009, 02:21 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The benefit is that some women feel like they are doing something more "advanced" if there is a technological gadget involved, and this increases their confidence. I'm in the "if it makes you feel more confident, then by all means" camp.

But it has enough downsides that I wouldn't call it "better" than any of the other methods. The monitor is expensive, the test strips are an ongoing expense, it can't be used for those of us with irregular cycles, it's not a viable option for impoverished or illiterate couples, and it hasn't been studied much yet. I know of a few Marquette users who used the monitor simultaneously with their charting and got conflicting results. I am very interested to see what the findings of this study will be though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search