Tuesday Truths

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2009, 09:20 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have you caught your kids lying? If so, how have you handled it? If not, how do you plan on handling it in the future?

August 18th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Julka
My kids are still too young to lie, so we haven't dealt with this yet. I'm not sure how I'll handle it in the future, really... but I am not going to have kids who lie to me.
August 18th, 2009, 08:19 AM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
AJ has fibbed knowingly cause he knows he will get in trouble for doing XYZ, but we haven't really addressed the lying. We usually address what he did that he wasn't supposed to do.

PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

August 18th, 2009, 12:14 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
My kids are too young for that yet - not sure how I'll handle it. My friends were talking about it the other day though and one of them pointed out that often parents ask their children questions when the parent already knows the answer when it might be better to avoid the opportunity to lie by just saying what you already know. For example: instead of "DS did you write on the wall?" she says "DS, I see that you wrote on the wall."
August 18th, 2009, 12:24 PM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With us its why did the younger ones lie?

We punish the deed not the lie (yet). We talk to them about lying and see how they would like to be on the receiving end of a lie.

A good example is the Ally Bank commercial with the kids getting baited and switched on toys; this both Leigh/Brandon understand. Lies from Leigh had happened from day one. Most of it we think is from fear, and the abuse prior to them arriving in our household. It was stupid stuff like hiding food, stashing clothing, and the fear of going away.

The Teen.
She knows right from wrong, shes basically a good kid, but sometimes the mouth is in gear faster than her ability to think it through. Once again its little things, and I won't want this to develop into bigger things.

Typical stuff like "I was at so and so's house", but we found her at someone else's house. She gets one chance to come clean before punishments begin. So far she comes clean during her one chance amnesty discussion.

She had already learned the hard way, if you don't come clean during your last chance session; life can get miserable with no phone, turn in the cell phone, no pool time, no social outlet, extra stuff after school canceled, no tv, no computer, no radio, and your chore list increased with a deadline to do complete everything.
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
August 19th, 2009, 07:39 AM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My kids also are too young to lie. I don't really know how I'll handle it except I know for sure I'll try not to overreact to anything they tell me so that they're not afraid to tell me things in the future. My parents used to overreact and punish me for the stupidest things so I used to lie a lot when I was younger. It took a long time to break the habit, and still to this day I am not completely open with my parents. I'm not dishonest, but I don't open up all the way either.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search