Babies/ kids bringing toys to Mass

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2007, 07:35 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What are your thoughts on babies and kids bringing toys to Mass? We let Nathaniel play with a couple things during Mass, because otherwise he just wants to jump out of our arms and onto the floor. All he wants to do lately is crawl, crawl, crawl. But I knwo some people say toys are a no no at Mass? What do you think?

And what do you think about kids eating during Mass? Like cheerios, sippy cup, etc?

June 12th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am all about the sippy cup and random cheerioe. Also, I am all about the toy. This is based on Nathaniel's age. However, as the kids got older for me, I tried to make the distractions as "mass" related as possible. I know you can buy toys and coloring books and what-not that are Catholic related. That would be cool. I would look online. I would also go to local christian bookstore. They got lots of stuff. When my kiddos were 4 and 5 and 6ish, I remember bringing in a blank sheet of paper, and some crayons and I told them to draw whatever they saw....mostly it was the crucified Christ. It was neat. They could draw, but i t had to be somehting they saw in the mass.
Hope this helps...it helps me...as Jeffrie is a BUTT HEAD THESE DAYS!!!
June 13th, 2007, 05:00 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
We haven't allowed our last three children to bring toys or snacks at any age (we did allow it until the age of 3 or 4 with our older two). The only thing they are allowed to bring is a misalette or a picture Bible. We do not allow our little kids down... if they are under the age of 3 or so they literally spend the entire Mass in my or DH's arms. If they fuss, I take them out and deal according to their age. Since DH travels for work, I usually have to take the children to Mass alone.... I think my younger children are much better behaved and listen/watch/participate more than my older two at the same age.

Now when I sit behind kids with snacks and toys I realize how distracting it almost always is.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

June 13th, 2007, 05:47 PM
mudholemama
Well, we do bring religious picture books for Isaac and he sometimes is allowed to
bring the occasional toy car. He gets snacks because Mass is at 8:30 and we don't
have enough time to feed him breakfast beforehand. Clare will stay in our arms...
June 13th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Choose joy
For now I think toys are fine, as long as they're quiet. I often bring books or beanie baby type stuffed animals. Mostly he likes the little Purel on my purse I'm not much for snacks/drinks but I was desperate once and gave him a puff As he gets older I would like to rely on toys less and less, transition to coloring, and then to nothing. I don't let him down either. I try to respect others-kids can be really distracting, but it's important for them to be there.
June 15th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Julka
I haven't experienced this yet as Natasha is still too small to make any significant disturbances. If she cries, we pick her up, and if that doesn't help, we take her to the back, into the 'lobby' where all the other crying babies are lol.

One thing I heard someone suggest with a bit older kids is for parents to sit at the very front with them because then they can actually see the priest and what's happening at the front, which will keep their minds somewhat occupied, as opposed to sitting at the back and staring at the walls. I don't agree with allowing food at mass - sippy cup/bottle with water is ok, I think, but cheerios, snacks, etc. is too much (JMO).
June 15th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I changed my mind. Last week we were at mass with my sis and her baby girl who is the same age as Jeffrie. He daughter is very fussy all the time. Jeffrie is very laid back. Anyhow, I was trying to distract her baby and I gave her a couple of goldfish. Well, after that, she kept wanting them and wanting them, and crushed them all over the pew and on the ground and everything. It was a mess, and I was irritated I had even shown her in the first place.

I officially renig my prior statement and say this: Children can be distracted at mass WITHOUT food.

ALso, my sis put her baby on the ground, and she took off crawling up and down the side isle. It was very distracting, and everyone in mass was watching the cute baby and not listening to the priest. I have never put jeffrie down. I do not think I will now....unless it is in the pew with us sitting.
June 16th, 2007, 01:48 PM
When my third was a baby I read a book called (I think) Parenting in the Pew by Ruth Graham. Although written from a Protestant perspective, I remember it was very helpful and most of it applied to taking children to Mass. I found it at the library; I have no idea if it is still in print but it's worth reading if you find it.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

June 18th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Quote:
When my third was a baby I read a book called (I think) Parenting in the Pew by Ruth Graham. Although written from a Protestant perspective, I remember it was very helpful and most of it applied to taking children to Mass. I found it at the library; I have no idea if it is still in print but it's worth reading if you find it. [/b]
Thanks so much for the recommendation! I'm going to check my library!

June 18th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to look for that book too! We've had some issues with our very active boys during Mass.
June 20th, 2007, 06:39 PM
LINK to a new edition of the book on Amazon. I may just have to find this to read again.

June 20th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the link! I am going to order it... just as soon as I come up with another book that costs roughly $20 so I can get free shipping.

June 20th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Thanks for the link! I am going to order it... just as soon as I come up with another book that costs roughly $20 so I can get free shipping. [/b]

Lizzy...go for "THE PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE." It is good. It is not Catholic. But it is good...trust me.
June 22nd, 2007, 04:24 PM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
Our Priest has requested that only soft toys or books are brought for babies & toddlers as some parents were letting their kids bring in toys like cars etc that were being dropped on the pews and making loud noises which was disturbing other parishioners. I take a couple of things for Jaidyn to keep her entertained. If there's another baby in front or behind us she usually ignores the toys!!

As for food, again our Priest has asked parents not to bring crisps (chips) or fruit as kids were making a racket with the crisp packets and some were leaving apple cores and stuff under the pews!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search