Catholic schools

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2007, 09:11 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did you attend Catholic school? Are you sending your kids to Catholic school?

July 9th, 2007, 10:21 PM
mommyinky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't. The boys will go to whatever school I'm teaching at. If we had a Catholic HS here though, I would def send them to it.
July 10th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Julka
We are planning to, yes. Although I hate hate hate the Catholic school uniforms, those short skirts that barely hide your behind just really bother me. In some Toronto schools they're beginning to change those uniforms and implement pants for girls which I think is way better.
July 10th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
K through 6th, I attended Holy Spirit in SanAntonio, TX. 6 -8th, I attended St. George in Baton Rouge, LA. For high school, I made into a very elite and prestigious all girls acadamy. It was St. Joseph's Academy. DH, Jeff, went to Catholic High, the all boys school down the road.

My Catholic schooling experience was WONDERFUL. Unlike Julka, I loved loved loved the uniforms. You didn't have to worry bout what you were gonna wear, and you could save your "real" clothes for the weekends and parties. I loved having religion class. I loved everything about the experience....especially going to an all girls school. No makeup or worries.

When Nathan started K, we put him in St. Bernadette's in Miami. But then we moved, and when we did, we couldn't afford catholic schooling in Nashville, TN. So then we moved to St. Pete , FL in 96, and we put all three kids in Sacred Heart. But it was a bad decision. The kids hated hated hated it. The curriculum was poor at best, no computers, no sports. It sucked. I was paying a ton of money for daily mass? I dunno. I lost faith in the school system and all beauracracy associated with it. It is all political and about money. If the school and church are in a rich neighborhood in a rich town, the school is great. KWIM?

I vowed not to put the kids in Catholic school again. But I may change my mind again. I will reevaluate and probably send Jefffrie to a Catholic school if there are any good ones here.
July 10th, 2007, 05:21 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I went to public school. DH went to Catholic school for a few years and had a really hard time because his family was low-income but the other kids were not.

We homeschool our kids, and plan to through high school.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

July 10th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Julka
Quote:
Unlike Julka, I loved loved loved the uniforms. You didn't have to worry bout what you were gonna wear, and you could save your "real" clothes for the weekends and parties. .[/b]
No, I didn't mean I don't like the idea of having uniforms. I just don't like the uniforms Catholic schools have because the skirts are too short and inappropriate, in my opion. I do like the idea of uniforms, though, just something less revealing.
July 10th, 2007, 06:50 PM
mudholemama
I did attend Catholic school from 1st-3rd grade and then attended public school once we moved.
We plan to homeschool the kids but if not, will send them to a Parochial school.
July 10th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am sorry Julka! I didn't mean to sound like you were against uniforms. When I was in high school, in my last year, my senior year, they introduced capri pants-which were NEVER heard of. None of us seniors bought them, but the rest of the under kids did. I thought they were a great idea. Our skirts had a requirement of being long enough if you put your hand on side, fingers down, then the skirt was one inch below that. Of course there were rebels...myself included...but it wasn't the skirt length....I just hate the navy blue sox. So I would put on hot pink or orange or some other crazy color sock and put the navy blue one over it. It onlyshowed at the top....I was such a rebel!! hhaha
July 10th, 2007, 09:52 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
We are planning to, yes. Although I hate hate hate the Catholic school uniforms, those short skirts that barely hide your behind just really bother me. In some Toronto schools they're beginning to change those uniforms and implement pants for girls which I think is way better.[/b]
What? Short skirts? Eeek. Our uniform skirts (and the ones at the school we hope to send Nathaniel to) were long, to our knee.

I did go to Catholic school, K-12. Then I went to college and there was a vibrant Catholic community there and I learned more about my faith than I ever did in Catholic school. But I think that had a lot to do with my own attitude at the time. The parish we attend has a gradeschool and I've heard excellent things about it. They have a junior kindergarden (preschool) that just started up, so if I think Nathaniel is ready at age 4, that's where he'll start. I'm really pro-Catholic schools but also I believe that education begins in the home. I plan on playing a really active role in my kids' education no matter what school they attend.

July 11th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Julka
Yes... Becky and Lizzy... I donno, maybe it's just here in Toronto but when I see Catholic school girls in their skirts, it barely covers their behind and they bend the top of the skirt inwards so it looks an inch even shorter than that... their white blouses are knotted at the bottom so it shows their stomach as well... it's pathetic and that's why I hate it... I wish those schools AND their parents were more strict about it. It's indecent.. I would never allow my daughter to walk around like that.
July 11th, 2007, 10:19 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Quote:
Yes... Becky and Lizzy... I donno, maybe it's just here in Toronto but when I see Catholic school girls in their skirts, it barely covers their behind and they bend the top of the skirt inwards so it looks an inch even shorter than that... their white blouses are knotted at the bottom so it shows their stomach as well... it's pathetic and that's why I hate it... I wish those schools AND their parents were more strict about it. It's indecent.. I would never allow my daughter to walk around like that.[/b]
That's awful! All the Catholic uniforms I've seen were skirts to at least the top of the knee! I wouldn't allow that, either! I wonder if perhaps these girls adjust their uniforms when they are not in class???

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

July 11th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Julka
Quote:
Quote:
Yes... Becky and Lizzy... I donno, maybe it's just here in Toronto but when I see Catholic school girls in their skirts, it barely covers their behind and they bend the top of the skirt inwards so it looks an inch even shorter than that... their white blouses are knotted at the bottom so it shows their stomach as well... it's pathetic and that's why I hate it... I wish those schools AND their parents were more strict about it. It's indecent.. I would never allow my daughter to walk around like that.[/b]
That's awful! All the Catholic uniforms I've seen were skirts to at least the top of the knee! I wouldn't allow that, either! I wonder if perhaps these girls adjust their uniforms when they are not in class???
[/b]
Possibly.. but I don't think the schools stress enough how indecent it is. I know a lot of these girls also buy skirts a few sizes smaller so they look shorter...
July 11th, 2007, 03:22 PM
bookbizmom's Avatar Member
Both my parents went to Catholic schools through college but for some reason, I can't remember what - the expense maybe - my brothers and I didn't.

But my kids are. My oldest starts kindergarten in a month!!

wahm who loves her book biz!</span>
July 14th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
My schools were Catholic and my kids go to Catholic schools too. All schools over here have uniforms, and the skirts vary in length as it depends what the parents buy!
July 14th, 2007, 03:49 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I only went to Catholic school for high school. Our kids will go to Catholic school as long as it has strong committment to the faith, not just because it has "Catholic" in the name. I've known SO many "Catholic" schools where the teachers undermine the teachings of the faith or completely misrepresent them. You wouldn't believe the things our religion teacher told us in high school. I didn't know the faith really well, but I knew enough to question some of the things she said. I don't think it was her intention to mislead us, but she was truly ignorant about what our faith teaches. Rather than look up the answers for us, she would pass off her own personal opinion as fact. Her own personal opinions about some pretty major moral issues weren't even remotely close to what our faith teaches. Unfortunately, so many of my friend share similar experiences about Catholic school. At the time, I was old enough to know better - but I wouldn't want to subject very small children to that kind of ignorance. I would rather have the kids in public school so that we can be the primary educators of the faith instead of having to unravel incorrect information learned at school.

So, we're sending the kids to a Catholic school that has a reputation for taking the faith seriously. My husband also just accepted a teaching position there, so he'll be paying close attention to what's going on. If I hear of the faith being disrespected or misrespented in a serious manner by school staff, we will reconsider our options. I would love to homeschool and that's something we're considering for when they are older. It's one thing for DH to teach there, because he can work to make a difference - to defend the faith when it isn't being respected, to teach the facts to his students in Religion class. But it's another thing to leave our impressionable little children there if I discover that they are being misguided in any way. Our oldest starts Kindergarten this year, so I guess we're proceeding with caution to see how it goes. I admit, I'm really nervous about it.
July 14th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I went to Catholic school 1st-8th grade. I sent my older son to Catholic school for 2nd-5th grade. Then we moved and there wasn't a Catholic school in our new neighborhood. One opened last year, but I didn't want to switch him to a new school for 1 year, he starts high school this year. I'd like to send my younger son to Catholic school, but my husband isn't really into that idea. I still have time to work on him though.
July 14th, 2007, 07:39 PM
DQM2007's Avatar Veteran
I did not attend Catholic school, if my parents could have afforded it I am sure we would have gone. My boys will be going to Catholic school, we can't really afford it but we'll see how we handle it.

Support me in the breast cancer CIBC Run for the Cure!![/url]
July 16th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Super Mommy
i attended catholic school and it was the worst experience of my life. if you are thinking of sending your child to one really really research it, drop in during lunch, recess, between classes, etc observe the students and see how they talk to each other.
<div align="CENTER"></div>
<div align="CENTER"></div>
July 24th, 2007, 10:20 AM
BusyMom
I attended public and teach at public and send my daughter to catholic. I love it.
Catholic school has provided a sense of community that you don't get a public school. We are friends with all the parents. I can call them on a moments notice if i have an emergency. My daughters kindergarten teacher even babysits for weekends and has a kids night out for the kids to get together and the parents to get out. Madison has learned how to pray and mentions God and Jesus much more than if it was just us raising her. After teaching public school and seeing how the kids treat each other and adults, I don't want her around those influences. Not to mention the sex, drugs, and alcohol. I know those are in public school as well, but not anything like I deal with.
As of the skirts, as she grows her skirt does get short, but they sell modesty shorts that they wear under them. They look like spandex bike shorts (well not spandex but cotton I suppose). She wears them no matter how long the skirt so her underwear doesn't show when she plays at recess.
I would suggest checking out the catholic schools in your area first, sit in on a class. Talk to the parents. Like I said I love it.
July 26th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
THis might be my first time posting on this board, but just wanted to add my experience. I went to Catholic school from Grade 1-6,and then again for high school. I went to public school for junior high, and boy oh boy what a difference! The kids at the Catholic school were such good kids compared to those at the public. My catholic school friends were still kids in 7th grade, but the 7th graders at the public school were smoking, drinking, getting high, having sex....etc... I was looking to rebel when I got to junior high and the public school was a great place to do it. My poor parents!

As for uniform skirts, ours were long too, but many of girls at my catholic high school rolled them up at the top to make them shorter. I always wore shorts underneath mine and didn't roll up the skirt. I do remember some girls getting in trouble for rolling up their skirts. So maybe that's what you're seeing with those short skirts.

I recently pulled my kids out of public school to homeschool them. But if for some reason, we had to send them back to school, I would look into the Catholic schools around here. I don't know if we could afford it, but I just remember my junior high and can't imagine sending my kids into that kind of environment.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search