Making it your own

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2007, 11:34 AM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did you have a moment where you made Catholicism your own?

For our converts, what attracted you to the faith? What about Catholicism helped you make your decision?

For those who were born into a Catholic family... what convinced you to stay and make it your own as an adult?

July 11th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Julka
Quote:
For our converts, what attracted you to the faith? What about Catholicism helped you make your decision?[/b]
I am not sure how to explain it without turning it into an essay, but to make it short... I guess the fact that being a reform Jewish person I didn't really have a religion or a set kind of belief system and deep down really wanted one. One thing that attached me and pulled me was also the fact that I never felt like I don't belong, kwim... people were so invited and eager to answer my questions, which is another thing: I could never come up with a question that didn't have an answer that made sense... I was just pulled. I couldn't see myself going back.
July 11th, 2007, 03:46 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I was raised in a family that was typically American Catholic. Mom was a luke-warm, "cafeteria" convert, and Dad was (and still is ) a non-practicing cradle Catholic. We went to Mass most Sundays, but religion didn't play a major role in our day-to-day lives or even in our holiday celebrations.

I left the Catholic faith when I was 15 (although I still had to go to church when mom went) and considered myself pagan/wiccan for a while. DH and I met shortly after that. We started going back to Mass for a while after our oldest son was born, but it didn't last. We lived a seriously sinful life for a few years. Then we just... I dunno... came home. We both decided we were tired of what we were doing, and went to Confession. That next day was Sunday and we went to Mass; the Gospel for the week was the prodigal son. We had setbacks, of course, but that began our reversion experience. It was about a year later that I threw away my birth control pills, and that really kick started our spiritual life as a family. We had our marriage made sacramental in 2000, on our fifth anniversary. That was the "end" of the beginning of our journey back into the Church. We've been kept in the fold ever since! Thank you, Lord!

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

July 11th, 2007, 05:08 PM
These are beautiful stories so far! Keep 'em coming girls!

In college I had a small amount of time away from the Church. I started dating this guy who was Catholic, but didn't go to Mass and had all these wacko ideas about God. I felt really icky about it, but I stopped attending Mass. When he broke up with me I was devastated and for a brief moment entertained some suicidal thoughts. I glanced up at the crucifix above my bed and had a powerful "conversion" moment. I realized that if Jesus suffered all of that for me, what I was goign through was nothign. From that moment on I knew I had to "cling" to Jesus and to His Church. I knew what was right, there were no excuses for me. The next year in college (my sophomore year) I threw myself into every activity I could to meet some good, Christian people. I went back to Mass and joined the Choir. The Catholic community at my university was awesome. I met so many great friends and my DH there. I started asking lots of questions about the faith and as Julka found, every answer was reasonable and everything, all the teachings of the Church, fell into place for me. There's no going back for me. I admit that there are things I struggle with understanding, but I completely submit to the authority of the Church, which after all, is Christ's authority manifest in the world.

Turned into a novel, sorry!

July 12th, 2007, 07:39 PM
mudholemama
I would say that I'm one of those apples that fell far from the tree but came back and then rolled away, then
came back, then rolled away again, and came back a "HOT" pepper. I guess God knew that was all part
of His plan. I remember having this epiphany after Isaac was born and I came to an understanding of all
of my past....It's hard to explain....but it all came together for me. Shortly thereafter, we had our marriage
blessed on Isaac's baptismal day. It was wonderful. Since then, I've been in full communion with the Church
and am in love with our Faith!!!
July 13th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Quote:
I would say that I'm one of those apples that fell far from the tree but came back and then rolled away, then
came back, then rolled away again, and came back a "HOT" pepper. I guess God knew that was all part
of His plan. I remember having this epiphany after Isaac was born and I came to an understanding of all
of my past....It's hard to explain....but it all came together for me. Shortly thereafter, we had our marriage
blessed on Isaac's baptismal day. It was wonderful. Since then, I've been in full communion with the Church
and am in love with our Faith!!![/b]
Praise God!

July 29th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I just came across this even though it has been a few weeks since it was posted. I'm a very recent convert (this past Easter). I grew up Southern Baptist, and my family and I were very active. When I went to college I was very active in the BCM (Baptist Collegiate Ministry), in fact I was a summer missionary for them during two summers. I met my then future DH my sophomore yr. of college and we would go to both Mass and he would attend church with me. I was NOT going to convert in my mind. We dated for 4 years before we got married (waiting for me to finish grad school). We then started visiting different churches. After about 3 months he told me he was only comfortable in the Catholic church soooo after being mad I prayed about it and realized that my parents, my church, and my God had taught that wives should follow their husbands because they were the spiritual leaders and I felt so at peace about it. I really have enjoyed my experiences and it wasn't hard at all for me once I began the journey. I now teach children's church and taught VBS at our church and my DH and I love attending Mass together and can't wait to go with our children someday!!
July 29th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Quote:
I just came across this even though it has been a few weeks since it was posted. I'm a very recent convert (this past Easter). I grew up Southern Baptist, and my family and I were very active. When I went to college I was very active in the BCM (Baptist Collegiate Ministry), in fact I was a summer missionary for them during two summers. I met my then future DH my sophomore yr. of college and we would go to both Mass and he would attend church with me. I was NOT going to convert in my mind. We dated for 4 years before we got married (waiting for me to finish grad school). We then started visiting different churches. After about 3 months he told me he was only comfortable in the Catholic church soooo after being mad I prayed about it and realized that my parents, my church, and my God had taught that wives should follow their husbands because they were the spiritual leaders and I felt so at peace about it. I really have enjoyed my experiences and it wasn't hard at all for me once I began the journey. I now teach children's church and taught VBS at our church and my DH and I love attending Mass together and can't wait to go with our children someday!![/b]
What a neat story! I admire your obedient spirit and pray that I can live that out a little more myself. Have you read anything by Kimberly Hahn? Your story reminds me of her journey to the faith as well. Might be worth looking into her books.

Welcome to our board! I hope you stick around, we'd love to get to know you better!

July 31st, 2007, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Quote:
I just came across this even though it has been a few weeks since it was posted. I'm a very recent convert (this past Easter). I grew up Southern Baptist, and my family and I were very active. When I went to college I was very active in the BCM (Baptist Collegiate Ministry), in fact I was a summer missionary for them during two summers. I met my then future DH my sophomore yr. of college and we would go to both Mass and he would attend church with me. I was NOT going to convert in my mind. We dated for 4 years before we got married (waiting for me to finish grad school). We then started visiting different churches. After about 3 months he told me he was only comfortable in the Catholic church soooo after being mad I prayed about it and realized that my parents, my church, and my God had taught that wives should follow their husbands because they were the spiritual leaders and I felt so at peace about it. I really have enjoyed my experiences and it wasn't hard at all for me once I began the journey. I now teach children's church and taught VBS at our church and my DH and I love attending Mass together and can't wait to go with our children someday!![/b]
What a neat story! I admire your obedient spirit and pray that I can live that out a little more myself. Have you read anything by Kimberly Hahn? Your story reminds me of her journey to the faith as well. Might be worth looking into her books.

Welcome to our board! I hope you stick around, we'd love to get to know you better!
[/b]

No I haven't read anything from her (as I'm writing her name down). I will start looking for her books though. Thanks!! I will probably be frequenting this board a lot more.
August 2nd, 2007, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]

No I haven't read anything from her (as I'm writing her name down). I will start looking for her books though. Thanks!! I will probably be frequenting this board a lot more.
[/b]
Oh, I hope you do, we are happy to have you!

Rome Sweet Home is the book in particular I was thinking about. She cowrote it with her husband. Let me know what you think if you read it!

August 2nd, 2007, 09:57 PM
I just ordered it from Amazon. I'll let you know what I think!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search