What would you have done?

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2007, 01:47 PM
DQM2007's Avatar Veteran
So we were going up for communion this morning and a blessing for my son, when the priest's line up was done so he went back to his seat, the line up for us ran out of communion so he just looked at me shrugged and walked away, so I was a bit confused and went and sat back down...no blessing for Quinn, no communion for me.

Ack what should I have done?

Support me in the breast cancer CIBC Run for the Cure!![/url]
July 15th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thats bizarre that they didn't have enough communion to dish out. Seriously, that was wrong, IMO. They should have opened the tabernacle and gotten some more for you, or maybe some other Eucharistic Minister had some? If so, they should have directed you to the person still handing out the Body. That put you in an awkward position, and I that it is wrong. I would say something to my priest if he did that to me. Maybe go up on the alter and start waving my hands demanding the BODY OF CHRIST!!!!!! haha....just kidding. I would quietly, after mass, approach the priest and ask what the deal is. I'm sorry they left you and your son out.
July 15th, 2007, 05:52 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Oh, boy... I don't know what I would have done. How strange. You might phone Father and ask him if the Extraordinary Ministers are trained as to what they should do if they run out. If not, they should be.

It seems like every time I've had an embarrassing or uncomfortable moment when receiving Holy Communion it is because of an unsure and/or poorly trained lay person distributing. I try to make sure we receive from a priest whenever possible.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

July 15th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Julka
I'd call the priest and talk to him. Doesn't sound right to me. Although I am confused: was a lay person giving out the communion in your line up? Because lay people shouldn't generally give out blessing to children, the priest or deacon should. My husband always goes to the line up with the priest/deacon to get a blessing for my daughter.
July 15th, 2007, 07:04 PM
DQM2007's Avatar Veteran
It was a Eucharistic Minister, I don't know the whole thing is awkward, I really don't mesh well with the priest, so maybe i will see how it goes next weekend.

Support me in the breast cancer CIBC Run for the Cure!![/url]
July 15th, 2007, 08:17 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
The extraordinary minister probably just had no idea what to do. In some places they apparently aren't trained very well.

And Julia is right... no layperson, except your husband and yourself, can give your child a valid blessing.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

July 15th, 2007, 08:51 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh no!

What everyone is saying is true... the extraordinary minister of the eucharist should have gone over to get more (or started breaking the hosts in pieces once he saw he was running out). If it happens again you can go to the priest afterwards to receive the Body of Christ after Mass. I know in some cases Choir members will do this if they don't get the chance to receive during Mass, so it isn't completely unusual to receive after the Mass is over. Hopefully it doesn't happen again!

July 24th, 2007, 10:31 AM
BusyMom
This happened once at my church, I don't know why he didn't start to break up the hosts when he realized he was running short. What they did was went and got some unconcecrated (sp?) hosts and dipped them in the wine and began saying "blood of Christ" because that is what they were now receiving.
My brother, mom, and dad are all EM and i have no problems receiving from a EM. They are well trained and go through a very complete class. I accept a blessing to be valid form them just as when I sneeze and somebody says "God Bless you" it is not meaningless because they are not priests. Anybody can offer you a blessing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search