No kids liturgy in the summer

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2007, 10:22 PM
DQM2007's Avatar Veteran
I need ideas to get my 5 year old through mass! I know that just sounds so aweful but I was not very happy with him today in mass! I bought him a book called Teach me about the mass, it's in the I Am Special series. So he coloured in that, but he wouldn't shake hands, I had to carry him up for communion (see other post about that). It was just not a good mass day for him. He loves kids liturgy and is really upset when it's not happening.
Any ideas to get him over the grumpy stage!

Support me in the breast cancer CIBC Run for the Cure!![/url]
July 16th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Julka
Don't have too much advise, I suppose.... but that's funny, because my husband really dissaproves of kids liturgy, like when right before the readings the priest calls all the children to exist the church and go to one of the classrooms in the hallway for the readings...they have a kid instructor or whatever who handles them while the readings are done... Hubby believes the kids should spend the entire mass inside the church and not somewhere in another room.
July 16th, 2007, 06:14 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
If last time was an isolated incident, and not a pattern of behavior, you needn't worry about it too much. Sometimes I still have the "off" week where for whatever reason I don't feel like participating at Mass. But if he is like this most of the time, then hopefully you will find some ideas that work.Well, one thing I do that really helps is to sit right up front (or as close as I can get) so the kids can see better what is going on. Can you imagine going through an entire Mass looking at nothing but the back or butt of the grown-up in front of you? LOL! I know the tendancy of most parents is to hang out at the back in case they need a "quick escape" but with a 5yo that shouldn't be routinely necessary.You might consider going through his book or another one with him during the week when you are not at Mass. That way you have the time and opportunity to talk to him about what happens when and why, and how he can respond and participate.Then, in the car right before you go in, you can give him one or two reminders about the importance of his behavior and what you expect. Introduce the habits you want him to acquire a little at a time. Then, right after Mass, give him encouragement, praise, and correction as appropriate. Sometimes I'll say to my children something like "I enjoyed your company at Mass today so much that I would like to go to the park later on." Or if one of my older children has been especially disruptive, they know they will have to "practice" how to sit at Mass by sitting for an hour at home. I also ask the older kids about the readings and any outstanding parts of that Sunday's liturgy. You might see if he remembers what color vestments the priest used, or ask him to hum the tune of the last song.Didn't mean for that to turn into an essay! LOL! But I HTH.
Quote:
Don't have too much advise, I suppose.... but that's funny, because my husband really dissaproves of kids liturgy, like when right before the readings the priest calls all the children to exist the church and go to one of the classrooms in the hallway for the readings...they have a kid instructor or whatever who handles them while the readings are done... Hubby believes the kids should spend the entire mass inside the church and not somewhere in another room.[/b]
I would tend to agree with your husband. We never used the nursery or children's liturgy. At one parish we were part of, the CCD classes took place during Mass! If the goal is to raise young people who love to go to Mass, it doesn't make sense to encourage them to stay outside of it.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

July 19th, 2007, 07:59 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just read Parenting in the Pew which was recommended here, it's not a Catholic book, but it has some great ideas for bringing kids to Church. I'm trying to remember now what it said, lol. Oh, it talked a lot about whispering to the kids at Mass about what's going on while it's happening.

Get him excited about Mass starting early in the day. Talk about how it's Jesus' special day of the week. Have a special breakfast or something beforehand and have him help pick out something nice to wear.. maybe tell him he gets to wear a dress shirt like Daddy, etc. Play special music... hymns or something to get in the mood.

During the week, practice the prayers said at Mass. The Our Father, Creed, etc. That way when they come up during Mass you can point it out to him and he'll get excited about hearing something familiar. Maybe make an extra point to greet the priest after Mass, so he has something to look forward to towards the end of Mass.

One big thing the book talks about is instead of saying "be quiet", you should say "pay attention" or "It's time to pray" or "look at what Father is doing", etc. The focus should be on worshipping God, not on being silent and still in the pew.

Hope I helped a little.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search