scapular

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So, I have been wearing these cool scapulars that I got online from Autom.com. You buy them by the bunch...like 20 or so in a bunch. They end up being like, 29 cents each. they are plastic. Anyhow, I got some 2 years ago when I was teaching CCD to the High Schoolers in Indiana. Well, I have a bunch left over. I have been wearing them since. BTW: if anyone wants to PM me their actual address, I would be more then willing to send one. I think I could stick it into a regular envelope, as they don't weigh anything. If you don't want to give me your address, I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND. I probably would not give you mine, as my hubby would probably be very upset with me....haha Here is a pic of one.

So anyway, I was wondering WHO wears a scapular.....and why? And what kind do you wear if you do?

I was given a scapular recently by my neice's fiance. His family is WAY orthodox Catholic...like, they go to a church that still celebrates the mass in LAtin, etc. I am reminded of Mel Gibson. ANyhow, Fulton, (he was named after the famous catholic bishop fulton sheen) lives in Idaho. You are not the ho, I du ho.....haha JUST KIDDING!!!!!! come 0n you guys!!!!

Okay, so anyway, fulton's mom's friend makes these way cool scapulars that are actually wool. The ones I was wearing before were not wool, but actually plastic. I figure the Good Lord doesn't mind either way, but the actual scapular WAS wool. I love this thing, but it has no picture on the front or the back. But it is symbolic still the same.
What do you guys think? Do you think it matters either way? I am such a flipper flopper.

So getting to my actual point:
I am in HEB, a local grocery, and I spy the church deacon. So I'm like,
"Hey Deacon Hobby! Can you bless my scapular?" So he is like, "right here? right now? IN the condonmint isle?" SO I was like, ya!
So he started with the sign of the cross and blessed my scapular! Aint it cool? I just had to share my story.

BECK
September 11th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Very cool! I like your scapulars, a friend of mine wears one like that too! I wear my scapular all the time, I haven't taken it off in 10 years! My husband and kids wear theirs all the time also. (we celebrate the TLM at our parish too!)

Mama to:
Nick, 19
Abby, 17
Gabe, 15
Isaac, 13
Mary-Kate, 12
Sam, 11
Henry, 10
Molly, 8
Mark, 7
Greta, 5
Cecilia, 4
Josephine, 2
Evie, born 12.31.13
Baby due in July!
September 11th, 2007, 07:55 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wear mine all the time, it's a bigger one though that goes under my clothes. DH wears his when he remembers to, and the kids need new ones. It reminds me to "put on Christ" every day, like wearing a little uniform as a sign that I'm in Mary's Army.

September 11th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Julka
I don't wear one but my hubby does under his clothes... it's one of those with the wool back, pretty neat.
September 16th, 2007, 03:34 PM
mudholemama
We use this one:

there's a clear "seed" bead in between each note and the scapular medal and crucifix is
plastic. Me and 3 of my good friends all wear one. you can find them on ebay. They're
really really hard to find here in the US. I guess they make them overseas for the Missions.

http://stores.ebay.com/Crystal-Joy-Rosaries

They're under knotted rosaries....just in case anyone was interested.

--Christine

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search