Halloween

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2007, 10:16 AM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you celebrate it? What are your thoughts on it? Are your kids dressing up as anything? What activities do you usually participate in surrounding Halloween?

October 2nd, 2007, 10:30 AM
mudholemama
Okay, this topic is unfortunately one of my "soap boxes"... I hope NOT to offend anyone in anyway by my personal
views on this subject. Everyone has the right and privilege to choose what is right for their families....
Alot of mommies don't agree with my point of view on this and I'm perfectly okay with that. Again, everyone is
entitled to their own opinion....

I DO NOT believe that this holiday is to be taken lightly. I don't believe that it's "just fun for the kids"because the impacts of the decisions I make now may effect them later on. I do believe this holiday has Christian origins.
Unfortnately, the secular world has allowed this holiday to be what it is today....ghosts, ghouls, costumes of scantilly
clad women, vampires, dead corpses, etc. etc. etc.

So, what we do, is my children can choose to dress as either a creation of God...i.e. an animal...or they can
dress as a Saint.... Since HALLOWEEN literally means....All Hallow's EVE (All Hallow/Holy Eve'n)
the night before ALL SAINTS DAY....that's how we choose to approach this holiday.

October 2nd, 2007, 02:47 PM
mamaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Growing up, I had no idea that Halloween was a divisive holiday. As an adult, I've known (nonCatholic) Christians who celebrate "Holy"ween instead, as well as a Jewish friend who hates the holiday but refuses to discuss why. She does not let her children trick or treat.

I myself don't know much about the origins. I found these links online:
http://www.history.com/minisites/halloween...Page?pageId=713
http://www.neopagan.net/Halloween-Origins.html

As for our family, all we've ever done is Trick or Treating with the kids, and maybe attend a Halloween party as thrown by one of our friends. Carve pumpkins, eat candy, all the standards. My girls are so young that there hasn't been a lot in the way of costume choice - ladybugs, cows, pirates, that kind of thing.

I'm definitely interested in learning more about why this holiday is upsetting and/or divisive. I personally have never given it much thought, but am concerned that perhaps I am missing something crucial.
October 2nd, 2007, 04:35 PM
mudholemama
MAMAB! Here's a great article about "taking" our Holiday back!

http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1998/9809fea2.asp

and about the origins of All Saint's Day!

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01315a.htm

hope this helps!
October 2nd, 2007, 07:01 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's okay to "live in the world" but not be "of the world". We do the candy apples, and the trick or treating, and the costumes. But I totally agree that there should be a big emphasis on the All Soul's Day and All Saint's Day feasts just after Halloween. Our parish has a big party where the kids dress up as Saints, and when Nathaniel is older, I plan on participating in that.

I definitely will not let my kids dress up as devils, ghouls, ghosts, skeletons, witches, etc. Every holiday, whether Christian in origin or not, has some element that has been twisted into something not so good. I plan on educating my children about that, and why we don't participate in certain things, when the time is right.

October 2nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
For the last several years we've been able to attend an All Saint's party (with the homeschool group before we moved, with our new parish here) in lieu of celebrating Halloween. At our parish, the party is held after the vigil Mass for All Saint's Day. I also have a book I read with the children Father Phillip Tells a Ghost Story.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search