Tuesday Truths

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 23rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you think there's ever a time where a lie is acceptable? Do you think "little white lies" are okay? What about telling a friend she's looks great in a dress, when you really don't think she does? What about when your kids get a gift they don't like? Should they say the like it anyway?

October 23rd, 2007, 01:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I despise lying in every aspect of the word. I also, however, have absolutely no tact whatsoever. So some times telling the truth gets me in trouble. I don't think a kid should lie about a gift. He should say thanks and be gracious. And if he doesn't want it, he can tell me later. He doesn't ahve to lie about liking it.
I would without a doubt tell my friend she looked like crap in that dress...she would be hurt, but thank me later for saving her from her own fashion faux pau.
October 23rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Just to pick on your examples even more....

Quote:
What about telling a friend she's looks great in a dress, when you really don't think she does?[/b]
What kind of friend would I be if I let her buy/wear a dress that isn't flattering? Personally, I would much rather hear "that doesn't look good on you" than walk around looking the fool. This is, of course, assuming you are talking about a friend. If it was someone I wasn't close to, or who I knew couldn't handle the truth, I'd follow the rule of saying something nice or saying nothing at all.

Quote:
What about when your kids get a gift they don't like? Should they say the like it anyway?[/b]
Expressing gratitude has nothing to do with whether or not you like the gift. I have and will continue to teach my children that the true value of a gift is the love and kindness with which it was given. So if grandma gives them a brick wrapped in newspaper for their birthday, they should know to say thank you and try to find a way to use it.

I think it is always best to tell the truth, even when doing so is difficult. I think one big exception would be a situation where lying could save someone's lives. I'm thinking of all the people who helped hide Jews from the Nazis, for example.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

October 24th, 2007, 08:59 AM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I think it is always best to tell the truth, even when doing so is difficult. I think one big exception would be a situation where lying could save someone's lives. I'm thinking of all the people who helped hide Jews from the Nazis, for example.[/b]
That's so funny that you brought up this example, because in my Moral Theology class in grad school we talked about this. Basically, there were two schools of thought in our class. One is, the reason for always telling the truth is because people are "owed" the truth. In the case of the Nazis, because their intent is to kill the Jews, then they are not "owed" the truth. Another school of thought was that we do owe the truth to the Nazis, but there are ways to get around having to tell the truth. There was a case where the Nazis came to the door of some Christians who were hiding Jews in the basement. When the Nazis asked if there were any there, the Christian said sort of jokingly, "the only Jews we have here are under the kitchen table", gesturing over to a table with nothing under it. This was actually the truth because under the table, under the FLOOR were hidden Jews. But the Nazis laughed and moved on. I don't know if this story is true, but it was brought up in my class by my professor.

Anyway, I just thought I'd relate a part of our discussion since you brought that scenario up. I totally agree by the way, that lies in all the scenarios I presented are not acceptable.

October 24th, 2007, 01:05 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I've heard that story, too. I also thought of it as an example of God's protection on all those who serve the Truth.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

October 24th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Julka
I guess if sinning by lying would prevent a greater sin from happening, then lying is ok in that case.

When it comes to white lies, I think many times it depends on your intention. i.e. when I lived with my parents and went shopping specifically for a birthday gift for my mom, she then asked me "what did you go shopping for?" I made something up because telling the truth, well you know... it would have been silly and in any case, she would have expected me to tell a white lie here. So there was no harm intended and no harm received.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search