Log In Sign Up

Kason Richard - Waterbirth - 2/10/10

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2010, 05:46 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar Plus 1 :)
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,797
(people referred to below: Robin is my doula and Bernie is my midwife)

On Tuesday 2/9/10 at 4 p.m. as I was getting dressed after taking a shower, my water broke. An event that I'm all too familiar with as this is the 5th pregnancy that my water has broke on it's own. The last 3 babies were induced after labor didn't start after rupture. I really wanted to avoid pitocin this time so decided I'd wait it out at home all night and if no labor by morning I'd head in. Well those plans changed once I learned that the sitter we had lined up couldn't come sit with my kids the following day I knew it would be too hard on my oldest to have all the kids all day (I assumed school would be cancelled due to the snow storm we were getting at the time) and the last thing I wanted during labor was to be focused on what was going on at home. So we decided to come in Monday night and just get induced so Rich could be back home by morning with the kids (we had someone that was able to stay the night with them).

We arrived at the hospital around 9 pm at which time I was 3cm's dilated, 80% effaced, no contractions. The pitocin was started at 10:25p.m. and Bernie arrived shortly after. I called Robin around 11:30 pm, the contractions weren't painful yet but I knew it would take her awhile to get here with the snow. I think she arrived around midnight, maybe a little after. I tried to get a little rest but just couldn't so we started walking the halls. It was sometime between 12:30 and 1 a.m. I think that I started feeling pain with the contractions. I think they were coming about 2-3 minutes apart at that time. I sat on the birthing ball for awhile and that wasn't helping so I put a pillow on the floor, got on my knee's, then leaned over the bed with each contraction. That helped quite a bit for awhile. Once they got even more intense I asked for the tub to be filled. I have no idea what time that was, I never looked at the clock again after about 12:30.

It was instant relief once I got in the tub. For quite some time the only part of the contraction I really felt was the peak and they were easy to get through. My husband, midwife and doula were all in the bathroom with me and we chatted between contractions. The only lights on were those in the tub itself so it was very relaxing in there. Things started getting more intense and Robin was awesome about talking me through each and every contraction, reminding me to relax everything and breathe baby down. If it weren't for that constant talking through - I would never have gotten through them. There was one point where the tears started flowing after a contraction and I couldn't hold them back. I remember Robin telling me it was the surge of oxytocin and that it was ok to cry and meant I was getting close. I really didn't think I was getting close, and never asked to be checked because I was too afraid I'd hear I was only 4 or 5 cm's and that would have made the labor harder. It wasn't long before I was able to stop the tears and fully focus on what Robin and Bernie were saying to me during contractions. I also noticed the pressure changing at that time. I had been feeling a lot of pressure in my bottom with each contraction, but now I was feeling the pressure move forward a bit too. Robin and Bernie kept saying it was 'close' but I just knew I still had years of labor to endure and they were just trying to make me feel better lol. It was around that time that I didn't really have much time between contractions anymore. Surprisingly though, I was still able to talk and make smartass comments between most of them I remember getting more vocal at this time too and moaning through each contraction. At one point Bernie told me to feel down there with the next contraction to see what I felt. So I did, and I felt something - but I told her I didn't believe it was his head lol. Once I realized it was, my anxiety heightened a bit but Robin was able to talk me through it. I remember her telling me over and over not to be afraid of the pressure but to work with it. I started to feel my body push with the contractions. I was never told to push, I never tried to push, my body just pushed and I went with it and before I knew it, my sons head was in my hands. Another push after that and the rest of him followed. Bernie helped bring him up to my chest. He was just so awake and alert We hung out in the tub for awhile, once the cord stopped pulsating Daddy cut it, then we got out to deliver the placenta due to bleeding issues in past deliveries. He started nursing shortly after and nursed for nearly an hour before drifting off to sleep. I had just a small tear and got I think 2 stitches.

All in all, I don't think things could have gone any better I would have loved to have avoided the pitocin, but in the end it all worked out and was much easier than my other poticin deliveries and I never once even asked for pain relief. Robin told me later that the pitocin level was never raised very high at all, so I'm sure that helped too. During the labor I never knew how far progressed I was or what time it was - and lacking that information is a huge part of what made things go so smoothly. Plus it was great not having any uncomfortable cervical checks My husband who is usually a stiff silent statue during my labors...........well he was still that way for this one lol but instead of standing by my head staring at the wall, he actually Watched his son be born and took a little video clip of it as well And no one had to pick up him up off the floor either lol.

He was born at 4:41 a.m. on February 10th weighing 7 lbs 11 oz, 18.5" long.

And here are the pics and a video clip (view at your own discretion - actual birth scenes)

My Birth Pics and Video

Mom to Meagan,Nathan, Dylan, Tristan ^i^, Zachary,Ashlyn,
Gavin, Kason, Aidyn,Adelynn & Rylen due July 7, 2015 - born June 5th!

Reply With Quote
February 15th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Riley & Landon's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Va.
Posts: 2,804
Send a message via MSN to Riley & Landon's Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Riley & Landon's Mommy
Great story! I'm glad things turned out so well. The video was beautiful! He's adorable! Congrats, mama!!

**Thank you to BAM for this amazing siggy!!**
Whoever said, 'There's no use crying over spilled milk,' obviously didn't have a child on Alimentum

Reply With Quote
February 16th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,181
What a great birth experience. I'm glad things went so well for you. Congrats!
- Virginia

Reply With Quote
February 16th, 2010, 11:46 AM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,090
Great story and great video. I've been waiting for your post!


Reply With Quote
February 16th, 2010, 12:22 PM
fulloflove's Avatar I love being a mommy!
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,576
your video made me cry!! so beautiful!! congrats it looks like you had a beautiful experience..

this AMAZING siggy was made by Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob*!
Reply With Quote
February 19th, 2010, 12:06 PM
*AngieKH*'s Avatar Mom of 4
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NE Missouri
Posts: 5,511
Great story and I'm so glad you had a good experience! Your video was very cool too.

Grace (7), Elijah (4), Hannah (1), Joey (born at 39 weeks)
plus 3 step-kids Brandon (18), Sarah (16) and Adam (13)
Reply With Quote
February 25th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Sassafrass's Avatar Running Mamma
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 4,767
Congrats! Loved your video!
Mummy to 7,

Scarlett Arya('15)
and 3 in my heart(3/13, 6/13 & 9/13)

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0