Log In Sign Up

Jack Ryan

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2010, 08:11 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 7,696
On Wednesday night (the 14th) I had woke up about 4 times during the night with a hard contraction. I had noticed in the last 2 days that they were becoming more painful and involving more of my back. They were not consistent at all though. Thursday April 15th I woke up with soaked pants. Throughout the morning I noticed I was "leaking" constantly so I called the clinic and they asked me to come in right away. We finished packing our bags and got Lydia ready to go to my Grandparent's house. We dropped her off and were on our way around 10am. My contractions were becoming a little more consistent, at least time-able on the way to the hospital (1.5 hrs away), I was having a contraction about once every 20 min. When we got to the hospital they got me right into a room and had me change into a gown. Then they did a swab and sent it to lab to make sure it was amniotic fluid. The nurse came back in and told me I "was a keeper". They proceeded to set up my iv and get my antibiotics going for the Group B. By the time I was all set up with the monitors and IV my contractions were becoming more painful and a bit closer together, about 7-8 minutes apart. When they checked me at the time of admission I was still 2cm and 50% effaced, just as I was at my 38 week appointment I had 2 days earlier.

After laboring on my own for about 3 hours the doctor decided they wanted to put my on pitocin to get things going a little quicker. They were worried about me having my water broken since last night and didn't want to risk problems of prolonging labor. They started the pitocin and I labored with the pit for another 3 hours. By the end of the 3 hours I was in excruciating pain, each contraction would get worse and worse and more intense. It was at that point I decided to get the epidural. I was 4cm and 90% effaced at this time. I had 2 contractions while getting the epidural, which was really hard. It took about 30 minutes for it to fully take effect and after that I was so comfortable and relaxed. I wasn't in any pain at all but could still feel and move my legs and feet. After another hour the doctor came and checked me again and I was whopping 8 cm and 90% effaced. I was SO surprised. I had expected her to come in and say I was .5 a cm more. It just didn't seem possible that I could be so comfortable and not in any pain but make SO much progress so fast. Another hour later she checked me again and told me I was complete. She said "HELLO BABY!" when she checked me. I guess his head was right there. They had me do a couple practice pushes. Then I started pushing with each contraction. It took 30 minutes of pushing and Jack Ryan was born. It was 9:32pm. He was 6lb 15oz and 19in.

He cried really hard and they put him on my belly as they wiped him off. Then they took him to go do the routine checks. The noticed his breathing was a little labored so they decided to do an xray where they found some air pockets in his chest cavity. This happens sometimes when the chest is compressed through the birth canal then it expands rapidly after birth, accompanied by a hard cry which can trap air outside of the lungs in the chest cavity. This air then puts pressure on the lungs and doesn't allow for baby to breath quite right. The pediatrician at Spearfish did not feel comfortable keeping him there in case the pockets would not go away or get worse so they called the neonatal department in a nearby bigger city to come get him (30 min away). This was the hardest thing I have ever been through. Not being able to hold or breastfeed my child and being separated from him right after birth. That was the longest worst night of my life having him taken away.

They promptly released me the next morning and Ryan and I headed right over to see Jack. The neonatal practitioner had called me at 2:30am the night of his birth and said they did another x-ray and noticed that it was already starting to go away. By the end of the 2nd day the air pockets were completely gone. But they wanted to keep him there at least 3 days since they had him on antibiotics that they wanted him to finish. (Although he never had an infection - it was precautionary as they said). Meanwhile I had started pumping since the night they took him to get my milk to come in. I had collected all my colostrum and they would give it to him in a small tube in his mouth the first day. The 2nd day they made him eat at specific times and specific amount of formula. This I did not understand. It seemed like they were feeding him so much that he would throw up afterward. My Grandparents brought Lydia to us on Saturday and she stayed with us after that until we went home on Monday.

On Sunday they allowed him to leave the nursery and room in a private room with me at the hospital. He should have been free to go in my opinion but they wanted to make sure he would "feed on demand" while breastfeeding. They made me record every time he ate and for how long and if he urinated or pooped. I had to keep all his diapers for weighing and they weighed him that night to make sure he wasn't losing weight. He had gained weight, as well as being taller and his head larger than he was the day prior. The next morning they did his circumcision and a hearing test they do for all babies before release. By 11am we were free to go. Meanwhile Ryan had been with Lydia at a hotel. She had never got to meet him until the trip home since they do not allow children in the NICU.

We were so glad to be going home. I am very thrilled that I was able to have a painless and successful VBAC. It was a great experience, and would have been perfect if not for his air pockets. We are so thankful and blessed that it was a very minor thing and everything got better on its own.

We are all getting adjusted now that we are home, today was our first full day at home with Jack. Lydia is very good with him and has been a very loving sister. She does not seem jealous at all at this point. We are all still pretty tired, I think it will take awhile to recovery from such a stressful, sleepless week last week.

We are so blessed to have 2 beautiful children. Our family is now complete with our little Jack. Ryan & I are so in love with our babies. We couldn't be any more proud.


Reply With Quote
April 20th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 19,074
Congrats on the successful VBAC! He is so cute!

Reply With Quote
April 20th, 2010, 10:21 PM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,650
He is a cutie! Thanks for sharing your story. I have not heard of the air pockets before. Glad everything turned out well!
*~ Laura ~*

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

Reply With Quote
April 21st, 2010, 12:22 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,636
Shannon he is so freakin adorable! I love his little lips!! Sorry he had to be transferred I bet that was really scary for you and Ryan! Glad you guys are all home together now! Enjoy your new family of 4!!!!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
Reply With Quote
April 21st, 2010, 05:25 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 4,367
Congrats! It sounds like the the whole NICU thing was stressful - but so glad you are all together now at home!

Reply With Quote
April 22nd, 2010, 05:40 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Mountains
Posts: 8,110
He is absolutely gorgeous! I'm sorry that you had such a rough time after delivery, but I'm glad that everything worked out well and that your little boy is healthy!

Reply With Quote
April 22nd, 2010, 08:35 PM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Winston-Salem, NC (Home of the Krispy Kreme!)
Posts: 19

He's beautiful!
Reply With Quote
April 23rd, 2010, 03:39 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ID
Posts: 13,200
Congrats!! That's great that you progressed so quickly and had an easy labor.. Sorry you had to be away from him for awhile though! He is just perfect!

Reply With Quote
April 25th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,389
Congrats on your vbac. Would have been so hard to be away from your little guy overnight - I'm glad he's okay though!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0