Log In Sign Up

Nicholas Logan

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 5th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Posts: n/a
I went to bed Thursday at about midnight. I was tempted to take a sleep aid since I'd had a horrible night's sleep the previous night (and the sleep aid had helped me get really good sleep through some BH contractions a few times). I didn't-only because once I was in the bed, I couldn't talk myself into getting back up.

I woke up at about 3:30 with a contraction. It was a pretty strong one, but it wasn't unusual-the past 10 nights or so had been that way. I got up to get a drink and saw my husband was awake watching television. Weird. He asked if I was okay, and I said I was fine. I got my drink and headed back to bed. Just as I was about to doze again, I got another good, strong contraction. I got back up knowing that I wasn't going to go to sleep, and I was disturbing my 2 year old's sleep. I went back to the living room with my husband, and I sat down. He asked if I was in labor, and I said I wasn't sure. The baby was still bouncing all over, so I wasn't convinced yet-even though the contractions definitely felt more real than the BH I'd been getting every night. I told him that if I was, it was very early labor because I had never even lost my mucous plug...

I turned on the computer and timed the contractions for about half an hour while my husband took a shower. He got out, and I said, "don't freak out. They sound like... worse than they are. They're every 3 to 5 minutes, but only every other one is like an intense peak, so the good ones are like closer to 6 to 10 minutes apart." I decided to go ahead and shower also-knowing that if I was in labor and had to go to the hospital, I wanted to be freshly showered. lol While showering, the contractions did get a little farther apart, but each one had the same intensity as the others now, and it was increasing. We got up one daughter at about 5 to get in the shower... then the other got up just a little while later. We got clothes for the babies, and we were just hanging out in wait. I called my folks (so that my dad could come to the hospital to help with the little two) and told them that I thought it was baby day. That was 5:20. We called my dad at 6:15 to tell him we were headed out and would need him to head there to meet us after two back to back contractions had me on my hands and knees rocking through them.

We arrived at the hospital at about 10 after 7 after very intense contractions on the way over-becoming one on top of the other by the time we got there. Meanwhile, baby was still highly active! Part of me thought it was false labor. I told my husband I couldn't walk in, so he parked at the ER and ran to get a wheelchair. He came out, brought me in, and they showed us over to admitting. I had my ID in my hand, and the lady says, "how far apart are they?" I said, "close." She asked, "and this is your what? Second?" I said, "fifth." The other lady present says, "I'll tell you what [while grabbing my ID] you do this [handing said ID to my husband] and she's going upstairs NOW." He then had to go out and park and get the other kids...

We got upstairs, and the MW and nurses were readying a room. I got to the room and said, "I need to pee bad it was a long ride over..." and went straight to the potty. I sat down, and "POP!" Water broke. OK. So it wasn't false labor. At least I can avoid that embarrassment. Still no mucous lost at this point. That huge glob I'm used to seeing while in active labor: M-I-A! I'm still thinking I'm not near as far along as the contractions are faking me into thinking. So I get my gown on through some more intense contractions and get on the bed. The MW checks me and says, "uh... you're dilated to 9 and almost ready to push." She then turned to the nurses and said, "get a tray and a warmer in here now!" One nurse starts to try to get an IV going, and the MW said, "there's no need for that. Get an injection of pit [and something else I later learned would have been for clotting if bleeding had been a problem] ready just in case. This cervix will deliver." The nurse tried to argue, but she said again, "this cervix is delivering. You didn't feel it. I did. This cervix is birthing this baby. There's no need..." They asked my blood type and my test results from the BC... there was also other talk about how the cardiologist shouldn't have approved their hospital because they only do adult echos, but it was too late to transfer me!

I let my immediate wishes known: delayed cord clamping, no hepatitis B, no Vitamin K, and nobody touching my son's foreskin. They were AOK with those things. My husband and the other kids (my second oldest was with me the whole time) got there, and a few minutes later came pushing-with all four kids watching from the couch just a couple feet away because my dad didn't make it on time. Baby was born at 7:35 after only a few pushes and about 4 hours of labor. She tried to get me to push (because I was complete) a couple minutes earlier, but my contractions and body had not yet told me to push, so I said, "I'm not ready yet. I will when I feel it..." She didn't say much about that. When the urge came a couple minutes later, I pushed twice and his head was almost through (it burned like hell this time... I panted and said, "hot, hot, hot, hot" a few times ). One more good push and his head was out... and then the shoulders... to which I said, "holy crap; this is usually the easy part." He got out with a few wriggles of assistance from the MW during the push, and she said, "we'll have to test his sugars; it's routine for all babies that are over 8 and a half pounds." I was like, "he's not that big, is he?" And she said, "I'd be surprised if he's not 9 pounds. He's a big boy." He promptly pooped (better after he's out than when he's in) and peed and started crying before his shoulders were even all the way out-he was very mad to be out of me. lol

His cord had a knot, but thankfully it was a really long cord and the knot still allowed the pulsating to continue for him to get the blood he was intended to have. My second oldest daughter (10 YO) cut the cord.

The MW was almost right: 8 lb. 14 oz. 21 1/4 inches. Which explained the big shoulders. Yowza. His shoulders hurt me. They have previously always felt like a relief. No tears. One minor "gash" that she said was much better to just leave alone.

He's nursing like a little champ and is cute as a button. Oh-and his blood sugar was fine-he's just a little chunky monkey.

*the hospital was also really cool as far as the potential problems go. They did do a chest x-ray on him and that was fine. And they called to arrange for us to get him into the hospital where our cardiologists are this afternoon, so they released us after only 24 hours (it's always 48 here) so we could get to that for our echo. woohoo! I don't have to stay another night! Add that to the good news that his echo looked great combined with having a MW at the hospital that actually was a homebirth midwife before joining her current practice, and it turned out to be a pretty decent overall experience. And I'm glad we didn't wait another 10 minutes to leave for the hospital. LOL

Last edited by frugality=reality; June 5th, 2010 at 12:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
June 5th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Rammas08's Avatar Samantha =)
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 0
Sounds like a quick birth! I'm glad his echo came back good and you had a quick and complication free delivery! Congrats on your big little man!!!!
Reply With Quote
June 7th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 17
Wow 7:35 that was quick!! I can't believe you think the shoulders are the easy part...I think that's when I thought I was dead and in shock from the pain!!!!
Reply With Quote
June 7th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Posts: n/a
It wasn't this time. My little guy is a big brute!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0