Log In Sign Up

Juliet Louise 6-8-10

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2010, 04:39 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,040
On Monday June 7th at 6pm I checked into the hospital to start my induction. Immediately I was taken to my room and the nurse had me put on a gown and pee in a cup. I got in the bed and started getting hooked up to stuff. The nurse tried to start an IV on the back of my hand, but went through the vein so she ended up just taking blood from there and the next nurse did my IV higher up my arm. I was hooked up to baby monitors across my belly, a pulse-ox thing on my hand, and a blood pressure cuff on my arm. Around 7 the doctor came in to insert my cervidil. Not too comfortable getting it inserted, but no cervix exam is exactly comfortable. She also said she didn’t think I was even a fingertip dilated, she said I was at 0. That was supposed to stay in for 12 hours in hopes of dilating and effacing me, or possibly sending me into labor. Around 11 that night I finally got my dinner… a turkey sandwich. It wasn’t too bad though. Because of the IV fluids I had to pee a lot, which was so annoying since I was hooked up to so much stuff. Each time I had to unhook myself then hook myself back up. Later in the night they noticed the baby’s heartbeat wasn’t as variable as they would have liked so they started moving me into different positions. The only one that made the baby happy enough was me laying on my right side. The problem with that for me is laying on one side for too long when that pregnant hurt! But I didn’t have a choice. I had to lay on my right side all night long. They put an oxygen mask on me too to give me extra oxygen to pass along to the baby. Well between the frequent bathroom trips and being super uncomfortable on my side I didn’t get ANY sleep that night. Around 3-4am I started feeling contractions in my lower belly. Not too painful yet, but not comfortable either. In the morning around 7am the nurse took out the cervidil and I got temporarily disconnected from everything, yay! A little later I got some breakfast (tiny bowl of cereal). Then I got hooked back up to stuff and the pitocin was started. The contractions got stronger and stronger and by 11am I was in pretty bad pain. I still had to pee a lot and had to disconnect everything to walk to the bathroom and slide my IV pole along with me. It got to the point where I just let Jarrad do it all and I just sat on the toilet. Standing and pretty much being in any position other than my right side the contractions didn’t feel as bad, but when I was in bed I had to be on my right side. Around 11:30 the doctor came in to check me. I was only 2cm dilated and she broke my water and inserted an internal monitor to monitor the baby’s heartbeat. That was pretty painful, her being up there so long to do all that. She asked me if I wanted any pain medicine, I said yes! I wasn’t sure if they’d give me an epidural at that point since I wasn’t sure if I was far enough along with the dilation, but they said they would. I was third in line of women that wanted the epidural so it didn’t actually get put in until about 1pm. Jarrad got sent out of the room while they put the epidural in. Getting it put in really wasn’t all that bad. I got to move to a different position (not laying on my right side!) and since I told them I was in pretty bad pain they started it with stronger meds so it kicked in almost immediately. After I was settled back on the bed they asked me how bad the contractions were feeling and my response was “what contractions?” I still had to lay on my right side but since I couldn’t feel anything it wasn’t painful. The doctor checked me again and I was around 4cm or so. Then probably around 3pm the doctor came in and said the baby’s heartrate still wasn’t doing what they wanted it to and she was having decelerations when I was having contractions. They couldn’t speed up the pitocin to speed up labor since that may have hurt her. So they said it would be best to do a c-section. I figured going in I probably had a 50% chance of csection anyways so I was ok with it. I asked how soon it would be, and she said as soon as they got the OR prepped and ready. I also asked about the type of incision, since my mom has a vertical incision, and she said they only do horizontal ones, which is good. After she left I got more medicines put in my epidural to diminish feeling more and Jarrad got to put on scrubs. I was then wheeled down to the OR (just a couple doors down) and moved to the operating table. It was organized chaos in there, so many people working on different things. I couldn’t feel my lower body at all and had a sensation like my legs were propped up in the air like 4 feet. I asked the doctor about that and they said it was just an effect of the anesthesia. With everything going on they sounded like they were about to cut me open and I started looking around saying “where’s Jarrad.” He got brought in at the absolute last second and got to sit by me. My arms were strapped down straight out and it was just the weirdest feeling to hear them talking about it and me just laying there. They got the baby pulled out pretty quickly and tried to show her to me over the screen, but all I really saw was a foot or something. I was pretty out of it with all the drugs. We could hear her crying but it didn’t sound right to me at first because of the fluids she still had. Then when they stamped her footprints she really wailed, which made me feel better. Jarrad got to go see her and cut her cord. One of the ladies in the OR took his camera to take lots of pics of him and the baby. Around this time I started feeling like I was choking on my own saliva and mucus in my mouth. I couldn’t get my throat to swallow. I started freaking out and they put a different oxygen mask on me that was more forceful in getting the oxygen to me. They thought I was saying I was nauseous so they added some zofran and other stuff to my meds. I finally got the point across that I was choking and I figured out how to hock up my saliva from my throat so I could spit it up. During this they brought the baby over to me and were telling me to talk to her, that she knew my voice. I was still drugged and freaked out so I just kept saying “what am I supposed to say” and “hi baby.” When they took the baby back to work on her Jarrad got to be the one to hold my little spittoon while I was still clearing my throat. How attractive. We found out later I was numb just a bit too high up because the anesthesiologists thought the c-section was a bit more of an emergency than it was so they gave me stronger meds than really necessary. After I was all sewed up and moved back to my room the doctor came in and told us the baby had a knot in her cord, which may have had to do with her heartrate decels and why I could only lay in one position. But she was out and perfectly healthy! (I also found out later that when the epidural was being put in the dr told Jarrad it would likely end up as a c-section so he shouldn’t wander too far. I wasn’t told this until a couple hours later!) We got to be with her for a little bit, then they took her to the nursery for all the routine newborn stuff. While she was gone our moms showed up and I got transferred to my postpartum room. We didn’t get our baby back until almost 8:30pm, they wanted to monitor her heartrate and make sure everything was ok. Once we got her I was still kinda disconnected from it all but was so happy to hold her and our moms and my sisters were enthralled with her too. And that is the story of our beautiful Juliet Louise.

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0