Log In Sign Up

Caleb Vincent - July 24th (Home Birth Transfer)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2010, 10:38 AM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,250
Caleb Vincent
July 24th - 2:00 pm
8 lb 12 oz - 20.5"

I spent the morning of Thursday the 22nd walking the zoo with my grandparents and Brayden. It really wore me out and I swore I was done moving till I had a baby. Then the base DH works on had a picnic for all the families on Friday the 23rd so somehow I ended up out there in the sun again for 2 more hours. I left there at 1pm and was not feeling too great. I was drinking a lot of water though so I didn't think much of it.

Around 3:30-4 I noticed my contractions were become longer and I was starting to feel ill - like I had the flu, with body aches and some nausea. I kind of suspected I could be moving toward labor because I was very nauseous and vomited a lot when I had Brayden. We had dinner at 5:30 (pizza, not a good choice in retrospect) and I was feeling pretty bad by then - more nauseous with stomach cramps and contractions about 5-8 minutes apart. This is also the point where I started having a lot of diarrhea. I tried calling my midwife but got her voice mail so I decided to jump in the shower for 15 minutes and see if I felt better.

I didn't feel any better after my shower so I finally talked to my midwife and we decided she'd come over to check me out. This was around 6:15ish or so. I called my doula and let her know to be on alert and let DH know he should start setting up the pool. From here on out things just started to go downhill. I took a Zofran pill for the nausea. My contractions picked up and were coming at least every 5 minutes so I called my doula back and asked her to come over. My midwife arrived soon after and checked me, finding that I was 5.5cm, 100% and -1 station but my cervix would go to 6cm with a contraction. So everyone was confident and telling me I'd have a baby in a couple of hours.

Right after she finished the check I had to throw up (there went the Zofran since it hadn't had a chance to be absorbed) and use the bathroom again. I took another Zofran, this time a sublingual tablet. I laid down on my left side in bed and labored there a while since the tub wasn't filled yet. The contractions were pretty easy to breathe through and I credit my Hypnobabies studies for that, I was listening to the tracks the whole time and they really helped! My doula was rubbing my back. When the pool was ready I hopped in. Immediately I felt like something was wrong, I was burning up and sweating but my team kept telling me the water temp was perfect. I had a really hard time getting comfortable in there. Soon my pulse was racing and I could feel my heart pounding in my ears. My midwife checked my vitals and my BP was low and my pulse was high so she had me sit up and hang over the side of the pool. I threw up again because at this point I couldn't handle being in any upright position without intense nausea. They put ice on me to try and cool me off and get my vitals looking better, but that didn't work and soon I was back on my left side in bed.

Time really kind of blurs together after this. My midwife checked me once I was in bed and there was no change at all, it was around 10 pm then. I started wondering if I really would have my baby that night or not because I felt so horrible. I had diarrhea pretty frequently, but every time I would get up to go to the bathroom, it would set off another bout of vomiting. And - probably TMI - every time I would throw up I'd lose control of my bladder or bowels, so I ended up wearing Depends. If there's anything I'd like to forget about the experience, it's that!

My BP and pulse were still not too good after getting back in bed so they started looking for ways to hydrate me. I couldn't keep any water down so I was given the choice of an enema (still don't know how that was supposed to help) or an IV. I chose IV so my midwife had to call someone to come put it in (because my midwife is apparently not trained or licensed to do that). The other midwife with the IV arrived sometime between midnight 12:30am and got that started. They said I'd know right away if it was working or not - after half a bag of fluid I didn't feel any better, in fact I felt even worse if possible, and the decision was made at that point to transfer me to the military hospital because my midwife felt that the situation was getting outside of what she was comfortable with. The midwife who started the IV checked me just to verify what my midwife suspected and they both found I'd actually regressed to 5cm, likely in response to the stress and dehydration.

We (me, DH, doula, midwife) headed out to the hospital at 1:45 am and got there a little after 2. I was checked in and still at 5cm/100%/-1. At that point my midwife left to go home. My doula stayed with me but decided to tell me then that she was not going to be able to stay either because she had some massage clients scheduled for the morning (I won't even get started on that). She was going to call her backup, who I'd never met, to stay with me instead. So essentially I was transferred to the hospital and both my midwife *and* my doula left me. Thankfully the doula who replaced her was really nice and did a lot to help.

I'm still not quite ready to rehash every detail of the hospital experience so I'll make it quick from here.

From 2am - 7am I labored at the hospital, connected to an IV and monitors so I was basically swaying next to the bed and leaning over it when I needed to. I still had my Hypnobabies tracks but I was losing my focus quickly. I finally got IV medication for the nausea and diarrhea around 4 am. By 7am I was exhausted. I hadn't slept in over 24 hours. Although the vomiting and diarrhea had stopped I was still feeling sick as a dog. I asked to be checked because the contractions were 3 minutes apart and hurting so much, mostly in my back, that I thought I had to be near the end. The resident did the check and I was truly shocked to hear her say 5.5-6cm and -1 station - exactly where I had started out over 12 hours earlier.

At that point I kind of threw in the towel mentally. I had been through so much physically and was hurting so badly that I couldn't imagine going on like that any more. I had already lost my home birth because of things I couldn't control, the hospital experience was turning out to be as crappy as I had anticipated, my entire birth team deserted me (and DH had been sleeping since arriving to the room), and so I thought screw it, I'm getting the epidural. The new doula and I talked about it and she thought that under the circumstances it may actually help me relax enough to progress and have our baby.

I got the epi and around 10:15am the OB came in and checked me - 8cm but still -1 station. I consented to AROM in the hopes that it would bring the baby down. Around 12:30pm I started feeling some pressure in my hips and rear, they checked me and found I was complete with baby at +1 station. They left me a while longer to bring the baby down more. A little before 2pm I knew it was time so the room flooded with people, I got a mirror put up and started pushing. I was really surprised when he started coming out so easily! I pushed through 2 contractions, DH said it was 5 pushes total, and Caleb Vincent was born at exactly 2pm.

I've talked to my midwife since then and she thinks it was a combination of factors that led to the transfer - dehydration, hyperemesis (that part was a repeat of my birth with Brayden but since I was already in the hospital with him it was easier to manage), and probably a stomach virus since everyone around me has had some sort of stomach problem since then. My midwife said she spent the next evening in the ER with symptoms similar to what Id had.

Thanks for reading and making it this far! It was a long and difficult experience but we're so happy to have this little guy!

Last edited by oriel13; July 29th, 2010 at 12:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
July 29th, 2010, 10:46 AM
i:heart:you's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 17,033
Congratulations on your little boy! I'm sorry you didn't get the birth you were hoping for. I'm glad everyone is doing well.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
Reply With Quote
July 29th, 2010, 10:47 AM
~Devon~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 13,041
Send a message via AIM to ~Devon~
Wow!! Sorry to hear you didn't get your homebirth, but considering the circumstances I think it was pretty much out of your control. Congrats on the birth of your little guy!! What were his stats?
Reply With Quote
July 29th, 2010, 11:52 AM
ardisbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Folly Beach, SC
Posts: 1,882
Checking in from NCB board even though you warned I read...
Glad to hear you and Caleb are well, hopefully the memories of the tough times will fade!

Reply With Quote
July 29th, 2010, 12:03 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 16,734
I am glad you and Caleb are good. I'm sorry you didn't get your home birth but I am still proud of you. You fought like a trooper with all you went through. I do wish things could have been easier on you and your body *hugs*
Marisa (29) married to J (35), mama to G (10), D (7), B (5) and K (1).
Little Miss joined our family Dec 4th, 2015 at 35 weeks.
Reply With Quote
July 29th, 2010, 12:06 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 10,350
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I'm sorry it was such a rough time but I'm glad everyone is okay and you're feeling better! I would have done exactly what you did. I can't imagine 12 hours of what you went through! You are a very strong woman! I can't wait to see some pics of your new LO!
Sara, 27, married to Shane, 31, mom to Gemma, 6, and Ashlyn, born 8/7/10

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
Reply With Quote
July 29th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 581
first of all, congrats!!! you are such a trooper. i'm glad you and caleb are both healthy now.

i'm sorry you didn't get your homebirth, but it sounds like the hospital was a good choice.
Reply With Quote
July 29th, 2010, 03:47 PM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 14,098
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
Congratulations on your little guy!!! I'm so sorry the experience turned out the way it did though. I think you did a wonderful job!

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
Reply With Quote
July 29th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Magicaledelishus's Avatar Mommy to Orion
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,932
Wow, you are a champ! Congrats!
Reply With Quote
July 29th, 2010, 04:53 PM
mshah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,255
I'm so glad you and Caleb are okay! I'm also doing NCB (water birth), and I don't blame you one teeny bit for taking the epi! I totally would have done the same at that point! I'm pretty ticked that your doula left you for massage clients. Please, gimmee a break that's ridiculous! It sounds like Hypnobabies really helped you alot. I kinda wish I'd gotten more on the ball with it. I've got the kit, but only got through cd1. I'm so lazy. Anyway, everything ended up ok and I'm so proud of you for hangin' in there like that! Good job!!!
Reply With Quote
July 29th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,003
I'm sorry your homebirth didn't work out and you had a rough time...you are one strong mama though! Congrats on your new baby boy!
Mama to Jackson (23 months)
Fiance to Matthew
Reply With Quote
July 29th, 2010, 05:25 PM
momma2princesses's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,604
Wow...what a labor! Good for you for just going with the flow... I am sorry things werent ideal but so happy that your little man is here and healthy!
Michelle Mom To:
Avis (6)
Violette (4)
Suzannah (2.5)

Reply With Quote
July 29th, 2010, 09:25 PM
MariyaEvans's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,136
Reply With Quote
July 30th, 2010, 10:00 AM
knightsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,672
Congratulations on your new little boy!!!

Sorry you didn't have the birth experience you wanted, but I'm glad that you and Caleb are doing well! All that matters is that you're both happy and healthy now! =D

Thank you so much to Typical Vampire for my awesome siggie!!

Reply With Quote
July 30th, 2010, 11:38 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 6,194
What an event-filled story! I cant believe your midwife AND doula (of all people) left! I couldnt imagine booking clients for something else while on call for a birth! It sounds like you made the best of your situation and made a lot of great choices. You were dealt a doozy! I had the stomach bug a few weeks before I went into labor and knew I would just die if I went into labor feeling like that. You are a strong mommy!
Previously known as ~~Que~~

Student Midwife, Doula, Placenta Specialist, and Lactation Counselor
Reply With Quote
July 30th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,606
Oh my goodness!! What an exhausting experience. I thought my labor was hard. There is no way I would have lasted as long as you did. Good Job momma!!!!! I'm sorry you didn't get your home birth, but I'm so happy that baby Caleb arrived safely and you guys are both doing fine now! CONGRATS!!!!!!

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

Reply With Quote
July 30th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Buttercups's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Away down South in Dixie
Posts: 1,279
Originally Posted by mshah View Post
I'm pretty ticked that your doula left you for massage clients. Please, gimmee a break that's ridiculous!
Originally Posted by ~~Que~~ View Post
I cant believe your midwife AND doula (of all people) left! I couldnt imagine booking clients for something else while on call for a birth!

Congrats on your LO and for making the best of the hand you were dealt. Kudos to you!

Reply With Quote
July 31st, 2010, 05:05 AM
Lv2Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 7,091
Congrats on Caleb. Sorry you didn't get the birth experience you were wanting, but I'm glad things were okay in the end.
Reply With Quote
July 31st, 2010, 12:05 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm a husker girl :)
Posts: 16,336
Congrats on your birth!!! You did amazingly well!

I can't believe your midwife left! That's crazy to me!! Same with your doula. I would be absolutely furious.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
Reply With Quote
July 31st, 2010, 06:25 PM
New Mom
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 299
Congratulations on your new little boy! I'm so sorry to hear that you had such a difficult experience, you must have been so frustrated. You did a great job despite that, and I'm so glad that Caleb is here!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0