Log In Sign Up

Vaughn Joshua Nathan - my Cinco de Mayo baby! (5/5/10)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2010, 03:26 AM
PurpleStar's Avatar March 2015 DDC Co-Host
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sunny CA
Posts: 3,122
OMG...I can't believe its taken me so long to put up Vaughn's birth story!! Its been 3 months today, but seems like I was just checking into the hospital for my induction - my whole view of time has completely changed since Vaughn's arrival! LOL =) So without much further ado...

Monday May 3, 2010 11:45pm
Because it was the middle of the night we had to go through the ER entrance and I just remember thinking that the next time I walked the hallways of the hospital I would be a new mom...it was such a surreal time for me. But Josh and I checked in promptly, got me situated in bed with the baby monitor and did all the routine paperwork and such. It was IV time and I was dreading it! I had been traumatized as a kid when a nurse stabbed me repeatedly with the IV while alternatively wiggling the IV needle in hopes of hitting a vein. After relaying the story to my nurse, she said she would be right back, and when she did she had another nurse with her who she claimed would get me in one shot...THANK THE JUJU GODS for reasonable nurses because she was right and I was so so so so thankful and it barely even hurt! Anyways, going in I was a fingertip dilated but totally thinned out.

Tues May 4th 1:30am
Next I received the run down about Cytotec and I got my first dose, along with the "pain scale" explanation. This kinda annoyed me because I wasn't playing the "pain" card with myself and also my "pain" tolerance is really high, so it was truly an arbitrary thing for me. Anyways, I was good to go for 2 hours until I could move again. I had set up my CD player with my most meditative music and just began resting and relaxing in between all the checks. Holy crap those are annoying!

After the 2nd dose of Cytotec and the 4 hours had passed, my "pain" scale was still at 0, contrx were 1-2 min apart but super mild in intensity and further dilation was nil...so they started me on pitocin. Fast forward through the remaining 2 doses and still ZERO change and my OB comes for a check up.

Still Tuesday...because I've gone through all the doses of Cytotec with the pitocin and I've had no change, my OB decided to administer a foley ballon (I think that's what they're called). Geez, that wasn't fun...it wasn't horrible but the instantaneous cramping that occurred once inserted sucked. Once my body adjusted to the balloon and me to the cramping, I was fine. I was hopeful this would do the trick since she said I should 3-4cm once it fell out and that I would be looking at delivering my baby in about 12 hours...I mean my doc was so sure I would have Vaughn in my arms by morning. Yea, not so much =(

Wed May 5th 1230am
The balloon fell out!! I had to go the bathroom and when I sat on the toilet it just slipped right out. This might sound gross, but I totally checked it out...I was so curious about all gadgets the docs/nurses were using =) Anyways, totally got the bloody show and it was so weird to see blood again after no AF for so long! After the nurse helped clean me up, I got back in bed, got checked again and finally the nurse said I was a 3!! I was so excited...I just kept thinking this was it...I just had finish riding out this roller coaster. They said they were going to leave me be and check on me later to see how I was progressing.

At my next cervical check I was a 4 and I was so super pumped! The nurse said she was going to break my water in hopes of intensifying my contrx to get my dilation going. Up til this point, my contrx were steady at 1-2 minutes apart, but not "painful" according their scale. This seemed to stump them for some reason or other. In any case, she popped my water and boy did it come gushing and gushing and gushing...it didn't stop! Any which way I moved for several hours afterwards, water would gush out...That has to be the weirdest feeling ever...I totally tripped out on it. HOWEVER, the moment my water broke, my contrx did ramp up and I put my game face on!

This is where things start to get sketchy with me. In the beginning, when the pitocin was first being administered, the nurse had explained that they began at 2 and up'd the dose by 2 units, with 20 being the maximum. At 730 I was at dosage 16, and HELLO contrx! At my cervical check I was at 7cm, contrx were about 1 minute apart, although it really felt like 30 secs and there was NO rest in between...it was like peak, after peak, after peak and the urge to push was definitely there. While I didn't push per se, I breathed down through the contrx and it felt so much better. Sitting on the toilet through the contrx felt better too, but they wouldn't let me sit on mine. My oxygen intake was decreasing as well so they had to put the oxy mask on me. But again, I thought, this was it...I for sure had to be going through transition and soon Vaughn would be here! I sat, squatted, leaned, breathed, meditated through it all but with no change and no end in the immediate present, finally at 9am, I made the choice to get an epidural.

Oh, and through all of of this, Vaughn is doing amazing...no distress or anything...he was happy as a clam =) Although, he was a little stinker, he kept moving from the FHM and finally at some point early on Wed morning, they put an internal monitor on him. LOL.

930 am
I love how the anesthesiologist kept telling me to relax while in the throws of contrx that didn't seem to end EVER. Eventually, he gave me a shot of something and he got the job done really quick. That was also a weird felling...didn't hurt really, but it is definitely not a sensation I'll ever forget. Well, whatever they gave me, in addition to the lack of sleep for the last 24 hours and I was knocked out. At my first check after the epi, which I think was around 12pm, I made it to 8cm. From there I was in and out of sleep...

My OB came by, she knew how much I didn't want a CS and checked me one last time. No change, still an 8. That, combined with the fact my waters had been broken for over 12 hours, I was SUPER swollen from all the handling down below which would make pushing down even harder for him, and that I was starting to feel fever warm down south too, finally the hammer got thrown down on me and I was hit with the news that I was going to be headed for surgery.

In addition to the above, her most adamant reasoning for it was that she believed that during my contrx Vaughn would get down real low and so during checks the nurses could feel him but then he would go back up afterwards. He just wasn't engaging and believed it was because of his size and that more than likely his clavicle would have broken, in additional use of the vaccum and forceps on him. I just couldn't put him through that. So I said "OK" and off we went.

It went by in a blur from the time i said OK to getting into the OR. But there I lay with Josh by my side awaiting for our little guy...we all we talking and laughing and while I definitely couldn't feel anything (the anesthesiologist did do a great job), I sensed an intense tug and I asked my doc if that was Vaughn coming and not a moment later, out came our baby boy over the blue curtain sheet and both Josh and I totally started laughing and crying. It was the most amazing feeling seeing our baby just inches from us.

Vaughn Joshua Nathan Trainor was born May 5, 2010 at 547 pm weighing 10.8 pounds and 21 1/4 inches in length.

I honestly can say my hospital was great (despite the pain scale thing and not letting me sit on the toilet for contrx). The nurses, OMG, I so lucked out...they were all amazing...I had my favs, but all were very warm, friendly and compassionate. I am so happy for decision I made in hospitals.

Josh was there by side, through it all. I thought a few times he was going to be queasy (he doesn't do blood and guts well) but he stuck it out and never left me. He is my rock.

Although I didn't get to see Vaughn until 330 in the morning, I "raced" as soon as I could to the NICU to see my baby boy and it was such love

And of course, here are some pics...

Night we left for the hospital; 38w5d

Happy Birthday

My first kiss to Vaughn

Smiling out the womb

Momma Love

Thanks for reading!!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0