Log In Sign Up

Rachel Elizabeth's birth story (long with pictures)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,976
On Monday night, I had a little bit of a hard time falling asleep, I just felt sore and achy, but fell asleep around 10 pm. At 1:24, I was woken up by a contraction and I laid in bed for a moment while I woke up fully. I woke DH up and told him to get a towel. He jumped out of bed and grabbed one for me and as soon as I stood up, my water broke. He didn't realize what was going on, he thought I had just peed myself.

We made the decision to call his parents to come over; they live 45 minutes away. While we were waiting for them, I jumped in the shower. At this point contractions weren't too bad, I was still able to talk and move during them. We grabbed a few last minute items and DH got the car packed with our bags. His parents showed up in record time; my FIL said he drove 85 mph down the interstate and had his story ready for the police if he got stopped!!

We left for the hospital right around 3 am. I had wanted to labor as much as I could at home, but expected the labor to go quickly and the contractions were coming about every 2-2 1/2 minutes apart and I was no longer able to talk through them.

The ride to the hospital was uneventful and we got checked in to the hospital right around 3:20 am. I showed the nurses my birth plan which included no IV (which they were a little baffled, but then were okay with it when they talked to my dr.) When they checked me at around 4 am, I was 4 cm. For the next few hours I breathed through the contractions, progressing about 1 cm/hour and by about 7 am, I was 7 cm dilated. I was happy with how it was progressing and figured that I would be hitting transition any time. Around 8 am though, I was still at 7 cm. I was upset because the contractions were getting harder to breath through and there was no progress. I changed positions, tried standing/swaying through the contractions which made them infinitely more painful and then tried sitting in a rocking chair, which was also much more painful. At 9 am they checked me again and I was STILL at 7 cm. At this point my dr suggested pitocin to get things moving and I knew that if I did that, I would want the epidural as well. Since things were getting REALLY painful and I was not making any progress, I said that I would go ahead with the epi. So they hooked me up to the IV and got things set up for that. Around 10 am they checked me one more time before giving me the epi and I was still at 7 cm.

So I got the epi around 10:15 am and they started the pitocin as soon as that kicked in. I got checked again at 11 am and I was at 10 cm and ready to push. They had me give a "practice push" and I pushed once and everyone yelled STOP!!! I guess she was right there and they still had to break down the bed and get everything ready. At about 11:10 am they had me begin pushing. I pushed 4 times with the first contraction and once more with the next contraction and she was out!

So Rachel Elizabeth was born at 11:16 am on Tuesday, July 6th. She weighed in at exactly 7 lbs and 20 inches long. Her apgars were 9 and 9.

DH was able to cut the cord and I got to hold her right away. I ended up tearing along my old episiostomy cut and needed some stitches, but since it was along scar tissue, it hasn't bothered me very much at all.

After they bathed her and warmed her up, I got to nurse her and she did very well with it.

She ended up being jaundiced, but they discharged us on Thursday because her level was only at a 12. We ended up being re-admitted through the ER the following Monday because her level was up to 20. We were discharged for good on Wednesday 7/14.

So we're finally home and I'm loving my new little girl. Her big sister Kyla loves to give her hugs and kisses and is adjusting pretty well, though we've had our bouts of temper tantrums for attention. But overall, everything is going great.

Reply With Quote
March 13th, 2012, 12:08 PM
sportyboymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,233
Congrats! She is beautiful...thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote
March 13th, 2012, 12:08 PM
waterlilly's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 420
She is adorable!! Congratulations!! Sounds like a good birth experience
Reply With Quote
March 13th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,629
She is so lovely!! Congrats!!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0