Log In Sign Up

Jacob's birth (very long)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Tobi Bateman's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,403
Everything is kind of turning into a blur now, but I'll try to remember as much as I can.

First of all, I work night shift at a factory and have a very physical job. I had already figured that I wouldn't be able to keep it up until 2 weeks before my due date like we were planning but I had no idea I was going to go this early. I ended up taking vacation the week before Christmas then went back to work for 3 1/2 days before getting off for New Years. Medically, I'd had a very uneventful/boring pregnancy (only "complication" was I failed my 1hr glucose, but passed the 3hr), but that first night back after Christmas, I just knew something was going to be happening soon.

I started getting bad menstrual cramps that wrapped around my back, across my hips, and down my legs. They would come every 7 - 10 min for about an hour, but then would ease up and I'd only have a couple over the next hour, then they'd go back to being 7 - 10 min apart, then they'd ease up, and they just flip flopped like that all night. I was really debating about calling just to check in with my midwife, but after getting home, drinking a bunch of water, and laying down, they had almost completely went away. Then when I went back to work Mon night, they did the same flip flopping between 7 - 10 min apart and easing up to only a couple/hr. And again, I was debating calling, but didn't because after being home, they went away.

Tues and Wed night were pretty uneventful and I didn't really have too many more cramps so I just waited until my regular appt on Thurs to talk to the midwife about it. She lectured me about not calling but because they had eased up the past couple days, she decided to wait until the following week to check me.

That Friday (New Year's Eve) we were having a bunch of family over so I spent the morning cleaning up the house. I was getting really exhausted and had a lot of pain across my hips but I have hip pain anyway so I figured I was just overdoing it a little and called it quits on the cleaning.

That night while everyone was over (DH's parents, my parents, DH's oldest brother, his wife & 2 kids and DH's youngest brother, his wife, and 5 kids) I went to the bathroom at one point and after I was done peeing, I leaked a little more fluid. Deep down, I kind of knew it was probably amniotic fluid, but I was also thinking it could just be urine because the baby was starting to drop and pressing on my bladder. I really should have called the doctor that night, but I was so afraid of making a big deal with everyone there and then finding out that I was just peeing myself so I didn't call.

I woke up 7am on Sat still leaking a little and when pee. When I wiped, I got my entire mucus plug. I hadn't told DH about any of the leaking (which he's mad about, but I didn't want to worry him) but when I got out of the bathroom I told him I'd lost my plug and needed to call the hospital. The lady there basically said that if it was just my mucus plug, they wouldn't have me come in, but because I could be ruptured, they wanted to see me so off to the hospital we went.

DH totally expected that we'd just be sent home maybe with me on bed rest and even the nurses didn't expect my swab to come back as being amniotic fluid. But it did come back positive and when my midwife went to insert the speculum to do a check, she didn't even get it 1/2 way when I ruptured completely.

At that point it got really scary because we started talking about all the potential problems with him being a 34 weeker and how he'd likely have to get sent to a NICU hospital up in the city which would be a good hour drive and they couldn't give me a steroid shot for his lungs because I was past 34 weeks.

They admitted me and started me on Pitocin around 10am and I made it until 10pm before begging for an epidural. Unfortunately, my anesthesiologist wasn't very good and apparently lidocane doesn't work very well on me because she numbed it once, but it didn't take and she kept missing/hitting nerves/something that was incredibly painful and had to go back and re-numb it and try again.

Once I had the epidural, labor was a lot easier, but after about 3 more hours I was having problems with low blood pressure and Jacob's heartbeat kept dropping with each contraction. And since after all that time, I was still only 4cm, 75% effaced, and -1 station, they decided that I wasn't progressing fast enough to be able to get him born before the stress started causing damage so I had to have a c-section (which scared the crap out of me because if he did have to go up to KC to a NICU, I'd be stuck here for 3 days).

The entire day went by really quick but after I found out I had to have a c-section, it started going in slow motion. It seemed like the ride down to the OR took forever and I'm sure it was only a few minutes from when they started the surgery to when he was born, but it felt like an hour at least. But I'll never forget the feeling of him coming out and the sound of his first cry (and the utter relief that came with it knowing that his lungs were good & strong). I remember DH going over see him and hearing him say he had to take pictures or I'd kill him (LOL). I remember seeing him for the first time and crying (and really wanting to hold him, but I couldn't because my hands were strapped down). And I remember DH at some point (can't remember if it was before or after Jacob was born) peeking over the sheet, asking the Dr "What's that?" and the doctor saying it was my uterus and DH ducking back down again really quickly. LOL.

Then they whisked Jacob away and started putting me back together and while they were pushing on my belly, the epidural started wearing off and the pain was horrific! It was worse than labor. They tried giving something in my IV, but it didn't work and they tried lidocane, but it didn't work either. The pain was so intense I was crying and throwing up and I remember the Dr saying I needed to quit arching my back because it was making my intestines get in the way, but I couldn't. Finally someone said something about giving me a general and I practically begged them to do it.

The next thing I remember is waking up in recovery hearing a Dr freaking out because my blood pressure was only 60/40 but one of the nurses said I was okay because I was awake and talking. And I remember them telling me to move my legs and I was trying as hard as I could, but didn't think I was doing it, but the nurses said that they were moving.

Then by about 4:30 (more than 3 hrs after he was born), I finally was moved back to my room and although I was still really sleepy, I was finally able to hold my son for the first time and it was wonderful!

Reply With Quote
January 7th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 726
I love your happy ending with Jacob but I do have to say even though it was horrible I am kind of glad you're experience with the c section was bad like mine. I begged to be put out too and they wouldn't do it. Everyone else I knew had said they didn't feel anything or rememer much of the surgery. I remember all of it and how painful it was. I could move my toes and everything. At one point I even asked if it was ok if I arched my back bc the pressure was so bad. I wonder if we both didnt get enough meds or if we both had a bad reaction or something. Sorry to be negative Im just happy I found someone with a similar event I thought I was crazy. Im so happy he is doing well.

Reply With Quote
January 8th, 2011, 09:41 AM
SouleBaby's Avatar Lovin My Boyz!
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,496
That sounds pretty scary I'm glad everything was okay in the end. You have a cute baby boy
I'm Kristi

Thank you GreysMom for my awesome siggy!!!!

Reply With Quote
January 8th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Tobi Bateman's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,403
Erin - I read your story and thought "Wow. That's almost exactly like mine". It really was more painful than the labor. I kept asking my anesthesiologist if they were almost done and she kept saying yes, but I think she was lying.

I know next time around I would like to try a VBAC, but if I do have to have a repeat c-section, I'm going to tell them right off the bat that I need a stronger epidural.

Oh and in addition to all that, apparently I'm allergic to the medical tape they used so all around my incision I now have a nasty, itchy, blistery rash. I was having a hard time seeing my incision because of my deflating belly, so I had DH buy me a little hand mirror and got my first good look at it yesterday and freaked out a little and called the OB clinic, but they said it's just an allergic reaction (I had kind of the same thing, but not as bad on my back where the epidural was).

Reply With Quote
January 8th, 2011, 12:25 PM
provosto's Avatar Mommy to Arden!
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,484
Oh wow, what an eventful birth! I'm glad everything turned out happy but you certainly went through an ordeal!

ETA: I forgot to say congratulations again too!! Congratulations!!
Reply With Quote
January 8th, 2011, 02:06 PM
sblades19's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,930
Wow! Scary! My girlfriend had a scary c-section experience where she had a reaction to the anestesia (sp). **shudder** Anyway, I am sooo happy everything is ok and he is now home with you. Yeah! Thanks for sharing!

Again, congratulations!

Special thank you to Graysmama for my awesome siggy!

Reply With Quote
January 8th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,170
Wow, what a story! So glad that he is so strong and all turned out okay for you all! Congratulations!

The way your water leaked so slowly scares me though. Yikes!
Reply With Quote
January 8th, 2011, 10:23 PM
mmten7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,327
I'm glad everything turned out okay in the end. Jacob is a doll! Congratulations!

Thank you so much mylene169 for my awesome siggy!

Reply With Quote
January 9th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 43
Congrats! I am happy it all worked out in the end!
Reply With Quote
February 21st, 2011, 04:45 PM
JessMitch's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,342
Sorry I'm just getting around to reading this now! But congratulations!!


Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0