Log In Sign Up

Mackenzie's Early Arrival!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2011, 08:29 AM
JessMitch's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,342
Hi everyone! I am getting up my birth story and a bunch of pics! I tried to keep track of everything so here goes... and yes, it will be long if i can remember everything that happened!

Okay so to start, I went to hand in a 24 hour urine catch on Monday and do some blood work. My mom came with me and then took me to my non stress test. My BP kept getting higher even though i was laying down so they made me stay from 9:30 until 1:30 after they had my urine results. Turned out I had a mild case of pre eclampsia. As of right then they started me on a BP med and told me to continue on as normal, two NST's a week, a weekly appt and now a weekly u/s (had another one that day, she was measuring at about 5 1/2 lbs).

Tuesday I was home alone, laying on the couch watching tv when i checked my BP with my automated BP cuff. It was 200/115!! I called the MAT ward to tell them and since i was home alone they wanted me to come in. I called a friend and got a ride, my dad met me there since Ben was working and so was my mom. My BP came down a bit but was still high. So the doc came in and told me that they were going to induce me! Yikes! 5 weeks early! But, i was still excited to meet my little princess.

So i was admitted to L and D at 1:30 on Tuesday 1/4/11. I got checked out by the doctor and was less than 1 CM dilated, 80% effaced and at -1 station. Around 3pm they put in the cervadil... oh what fun that was! Actually it wasn't as bad as things to come! Ben and I just hung around the rest of the day, my parents were there for a bit. At first i was an idiot and under the impression i would be having a baby that day... HAH! Nice thinking. So around 11 they gave me an ambien and I slept until they took the cervadil out at 2:45 am. THey checked me and I was about 1 CM dilated and my cervix had ripened/softened. I went back to bed until the doctor woke me up around 7:30 and got me ready to put in the balloon (not sure of its technical name... but it helps dilate you)... the balloon went in around 8:30am. It was god awful I must say! It was just so uncomfortable while getting it put in and then of course there are like these 2 tubes dangling out of you! anyway, I was getting crampy and then they started pitocin at about 11:20/. Now this is the BS part... turns out my monitor wasn't working and wasn't recording my contractions. So while i thought i was just having really bad cramps, they were really contractions. Finally my mom and i timed them at 4 minutes apart, lasting about 1 minute each. The doc felt my tummy while i was having one and was like, yep! those are contractions! We swithced monitors and bam! Contractions were monitored. Now because of my high BP they didn't want me in a lot of pain so i got my epidural at 12:45 (not as bad as i thought thank god!). I wasn't feeling much after that. I got checked around 3 and was 3 CM and then they put in my catheter. The doctor then went back in to check again for whatever reason and that's when sh*t hit the fan. When they leaned me back on the bed Mackenzie's heart rate dropped. After rolling me over it went back up but it was still scary. (oh and did i mention i was given magnesum sulfate at some point because of the high BP... no idea when in all this lol). Then apparently they needed to give me another IV because of another drug they needed to give me and i started to panic a little because i'm a serious baby and i had already been through a lot without freaking out so the thought of another needle stick was too much. Well while poking my hand (of course i let them... what else could i do? lol) I started to get really hot and light headed, and the babys heart rate began to drop again. THe next thing i know i've got a face mask on, the doc is giving orders to call the OR and we are getting ready for a c section. I wasn't upset by that, i just wanted to get her out safe. It was really scary when her heart rate was dropping. *Turns out the little stinker kept grabbing her cord and wouldn't let go!*

So they wheel me into the OR... Ben met me there a few minutes later and I don't want to scare people but that sucked! Sure, I couldn't feel pain but I could feel tugging and pulling and even the slicing! EWwwwww. I was really squirmy until Ben got there. And it didn't help that the clock was right behind him so i just kept staring at the time But as awful as I thought it was at the time, it was less than an hour and they got my baby out safe which is all I can ask for.

Now as far as Mackenzie goes, she made a small cry or 2 after being born. And I already knew ahead of time that it was a good possibility that she would be moved to a hospital with a NICU. They cleaned her up a bit and brought her over to me so i could see her and give her a bunch of kisses. (when i get the charger for the camera i'll post those pics) She was born at 3:39pm on 1/5/11 weighing 4lbs 13oz and 17 1/2 inches long.

After being sewn up and brought back to my room Ben came in with the ped doc and told me that she would be going to Uconn. Her breathing wasn't great at first but she was already doing much better. The UCONN team came to get her and met with me before they left explaining everything. Finally at this point i got to see her again. She was sooo tiny! But i had seen pics that Ben had taken. I said goodbye and Ben followed her down there shortly after. And we chose her name right before she left... Mackenzie Jane. The plan was for me to join them the next day... which i did. I'm got here around 2pm today... longest hours of my life. It was surreal to know i had given birth during emergency surgery yet i had no baby in my arms. But i was just glad that she was with her dad. Ben sent me a pic of him holding her which made me feel good because he wouldn't be holding her if she wasn't doing well.

Although, once i got here i found out that after her first feeding she stopped breathing for a second or so and they had to give her some meds and stimulate her to get her breathing again. Her 3pm feeding was good and I gave her the 6 and 9 feeding and things were fine. They say she could be here 2-3 weeks but she seems to be doing very well and I think they always overshoot so you don't get disappointed... at least that's what I'm hoping. So basically that was the story of Mackenzie's birth plus a little extra! ENjoy the pics!

One of Mackenzie's first pictures

Ben holding Mackenzie for the first time

My first time holding my daughter... don't mind my swollen face! hehe


Reply With Quote
January 13th, 2011, 08:49 AM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,683
She is beautiful! I'm so glad she got here safely.
Reply With Quote
January 14th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Erikajo's Avatar Mommy to 4 Blessings
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 3,155
She is so cute! Sorry things were a little rough & scary there for awhile, but I'm glad it all worked out & your little girl arrived safely. Congratulations!

Erika, mommy to 4 blessings -
Nathan (8), Emily (4), Joshua (22 months) and Luke (1.9.11)

My Blog - Musings From a SAHM

Reply With Quote
January 15th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,298
Congratulations, she is adorable! I am glad everything turned out ok and she is here safely. I had magnesium sulfate during and after delivery of my first daughter, and it was horrible! i hope your baby girl is home soon!
Reply With Quote
March 19th, 2011, 05:43 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,923
Wow. What a scary series of events that must have been. I'm so glad she got here safe and she was so tiny. As I scrolled down, I was able to compare her to the new picture in your signature. What a happy, healthy baby she is. To think it all started so unconventionally!
Wife to sweet husband Jeff and mother to 2 beautiful girls: Emily (2) and Jocelyn (1).

Reply With Quote
March 23rd, 2011, 09:42 PM
MommyMelissa's Avatar *Melissa*
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ft Lauderdale FL
Posts: 1,676
Sorry it was scary for you but I am happy she is healthy and happy ;D What a cutie pie!!
Thank You elleword for my beautiful siggy!!!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0