Log In Sign Up

Kerrigan Elizabeth's Hypnobabies NCB VBA2C on her duedate :)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2011, 01:47 PM
blessedx7's Avatar I <3 my big family!
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,865
I had been experiencing prodromal labor for 3-4weeks which was just taunting me because my OB had told me I wasn't allowed to go past 40 weeks if I wanted a VBAC. I had done everything known to man to naturally speed things along to no avail...spicy foods, dtd, sitting on the birth ball for hours on end, walking, doing hundreds of stairs, red raspberry leaf tea (blah), Evening primrose oil, pineapple, prenatal massage, acupuncture, Baby Come Out track from Hypnobabies, etc. She was also posterior so I knew I was trying to encourage her to turn as well as get my body into labor. Wednesday, 2 days before my duedate and that all important 40 week appt, I had nothing all day to indicate labor for the first time in weeks. No contractions, nothing. My sister,who was due 2 weeks after me, had come home from the hospital that day with her new baby who was born early at 37 weeks. I braved very icy conditions to meet her at my parents house to get to hold my sweet nephew. I held him for at least 2hrs and I fell deeper and deeper in love with him. My milk even let down while I was holding him! I truly feel, now, that this was jump starting my system.

Went to bed about 11 that night and slept well all night, but woke up to contractions at 6am and pink watery (not mucusy as in the plug was coming out) "show". I hadn't had an exam in a week (and don't normally have spotting with exams anyway), so this was quite the red flag for me. They weren't terribly strong and only every 18-20min apart but they were different somehow. I had painful contractions with prodromal labor but these gave me the perfect feeling/mental image of a bearing down pressure with no real pain. I asked dh to stick around (my other two VBACs were fast) and just work from home for a while just to see which way they went. By lunchtime, they really hadn't gotten much stronger although they were a bit closer and not letting up for anything. Dh really needed to go to work just for a bit so I told him to go on. While he was getting ready to leave though, they suddenly jumped to about 10-12min apart and increased in intensity. In the past few weeks of prodromal labor, I would be sure it was baby day but the minute dh left for work, everything would stop. I was sure it was from my body being "afraid" to labor with him gone, so I begged him on Thursday just to stay home this time so my contractions didn't stop again (LOL this sounds silly looking back but I was a woman on the edge at that point lol). By 4pm I was certain it was baby time but it was going so slow. They were still about 10-12min apart but nothing was stopping them.

At 5pm I started feeling some really strange sensations around my c-section scar. It felt like her head was popping back up out of the pelvis during each contraction and I got afraid. As much as I wanted a vbac, keeping my baby alive and safe was #1 and I knew the ruptures had to happen to SOMEBODY and didn't want that somebody to be me. I was 45 min from the hospital and didn't want to risk it, so I called my ob. I knew I was probably sabotaging my vbac if I went in to the hospital too early. As I predicted, she brought me in to L&D. The second we parked in the parking lot about 6pm, my contractions picked up to about 6-8min apart or so after hours of being stuck at a 10-12min apart phase. Got inside and was hooked up to the monitors just to make sure the baby was fine and there was no rupture. Everything looked GREAT! YEAAAA!!! Now to decide what to do from there. I was still dilated to 2cm which is what I was the week prior at my 39 week appt, so no one believed I was truly in labor. I was also still perfectly fine with a bit of focusing through my contractions. We agreed that going home would be a waste of time because my goal was to head into L&D at 6min apart anyway. Since she didn't think I was in labor and is just a totally laid back OB anyway, she told me just to stay overnight on 24hr observation. We got a nice quiet room away from everyone else who was laboring because I'm sure they didn't want to be bothered by us on a busy night just as much as we didn't want to be bothered by them. They took me off the monitors and encouraged me to do whatever I wanted to encourage labor or just rest. We got to a room about 7 and I sat on the birthing ball quite a bit listening to hypnobabies and just walked and drank and ate...I had no restrictions at all (because I wasn't "in labor" lol). The contractions quickly got more and more intense and were already about 4min apart. From 7-11:30 no one came in our room at all and I didn't have to deal with any monitoring. The contractions were just intense pressure and not painful at all. There were a few times I felt kinda "hot flash-y" and had some nausea which made me wonder if I was dilating fast.

When she came in at 11:30 just to hook me up for 15 min of monitoring, she noticed I seemed to have to focus more through the contractions than I had been before (and I had my hypnobabies playing on my ipod to help me focus more at that point) and asked if she could check me. I was 7cm and she nearly fell through the floor. They kept saying they couldn't believe I wasn't in pain. This was totally a God thing that they thought all that time I wasn't in labor because I was able to just be left alone with no restrictions just like I had prayed for. She called the doctor and started trying to get me admitted as a "labor patient". I was ready! I felt such a HUGE exhilarating rush of energy and determination at that point. Almost instantly (almost creepy like) the anesthesiologist showed up. She looked like the mean principal from the movie Matilda and even though we were trying to joke with her she had no smiles. Looking back, I think that was another way God was helping me get the natural childbirth I had prayed for. She terrified me and I just wanted her out of the room because I sensed such bad vibes from her. I hadn't felt any pain yet, just intense pressure. About 1am they checked me again and I was only to an 8. I lost a lot of wind in my sails because I thought for sure she would be there by then (I went from 7-delivery in 45 min with my other two VBACs but they were induced).

By 1:45ish I was just a 9 and baby was still high (and possibly still posterior). She said I was EXTREMELY stretchy and if I wanted to start pushing while she held the cervix back I could but I declined. At that point my hypnobabies went out the window and I felt pain for the first time in the whole process. I couldn't focus, I felt tremendous pain, and I couldn't figure out how to get back to where I was before. I just wanted it all over at that point. I felt like I was quickly loosing control at that point. That's also when I started begging for an epidural. Luckily my husband and amazing nurse both knew that's not really what I wanted and knew I was SO close even though I couldn't realize that. I knew by the time they got my epidural to me and in me it would all be over, but I needed something right THEN and didn't care what it was. lol Up until that point standing and swaying or bending over the bed was the most comfortable position, but not anymore. I just wanted in the bed on my side holding onto the bed rails. My nurse was trying to encourage me to change positions and I refused to listen to anyone. Dh put my "Pushing Baby Out" Hypnobabies track on my ipod and put my ear buds in but I was too unfocused to listen. At that point my body was already bearing down and pushing on it's own and I hated that. I had always heard that the pushing made the pain feel much better in a relief sort of way but it didn't so much for me. It reminded me of that uncontrollable feeling you get when you are throwing up. You know it's going to hurt and feel miserable but your body does it anyway. lol I didn't like not being in control of that knowing I wasn't complete and not wanting to tear my cervix. I kept apologizing for being "out of control" and they kept saying, "Are you kidding? You are more in control than most women with epidurals!" I didn't feel it though at ALL! I felt like I was a raving lunatic.

At 2:15am my ob was finally there, checked me, and said I was complete but baby's head was still at a -1. As soon as she walked in I said, "I'm SO SORRY I got you out of bed in the middle of the night!" LOL I was SO apologetic to everyone for some reason. My water hadn't broken yet, so she asked if she could break it. I said absolutely NOT because I knew it would make the pain worse. She said that it very well could make it worse for a little bit but it would go faster. I said I didn't care, I knew I couldn't handle any more pain than what I already had and with her head still being so high I knew it could be a long pushing phase. Maybe 10 seconds later I asked her if she promised it would make the baby come faster (LOL) and she said yes. I said ok. They waited until between a contraction and broke my water at 2:23am. Fluid shot out everywhere soaking my ob and everyone laughed. She went to get booties on her shoes while the nurses were to break the bed down and get me ready to deliver. With the next contraction, they said I could push. With that first contraction I pushed like my life was ending if I didn't get that baby out (and part of me truly felt this was a true LOL). I felt the head come out and them telling me to stop pushing and lots of commotion trying to hurry and get the doctor back in there but I didn't listen. She was born in that one push (with one loud scream from me that dh now says wasn't loud at all I just thought it was lol) at 2:25am, 2 minutes after the ob broke my water. She was partially caught by nurses and partially caught by the bed that hadn't gotten broken down yet. My ob walked in just as this happened and just got to see her plopping out onto the bed. LOL The first thing she said (as the nurse was yelling out the time of birth) was "I told you it would be faster!" LOLOL They immediately put the baby in my gown to warm her up and let me nurse while they did all they needed to do as far as exams through the collar of my gown. lol Never had this with my other babies so it was AMAZING! She stayed there nursing for over an hour. They did her exam and bath right beside my bed about 5am then gave her back to me. It was simply an amazing experience (although it would have been better had the pain free part continued just a few more minutes until she was born LOL).

She was born at 2:25am weighing 6lb13oz on 1.14.11 just about 8 hours before the appointment where I was going to have to discuss c-section or other interventions to get her here. Just in the nick of time, whew! I have felt AMAZING other than overdoing it because I do feel so good. Also, I had episiotomies with my other two VBACs and they were very painful and took a while to heal. With my tear (at least these last 6 days) has had NO pain at all! I am having more trouble with the lovely hemorrhoids from my one big massive beastmaster push. LOL

Oh and p.s. when my ob came back in to see me the next evening she said as she was leaving, "Aren't you glad you didn't just go with the repeat c-section?" She also reitterated once again not to think for a second I was ever out of control, that I had no idea what out of control was.

Many blessings,
Mama to 7 amazing blessings
ages 15, 13, 11, 8, 8, 4 & Kerrigan born 1-14-11
Our Family Blog: www.thecashcrew.blogspot.com

Kerrigan Elizabeth born on her duedate- 100% natural, hypnobabies, VBA2C

Last edited by blessedx7; January 20th, 2011 at 04:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
January 20th, 2011, 02:36 PM
kdmommie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,285
Oh she is beautiful!!!!! I'm so glad you got your natural vbac.

Reply With Quote
January 20th, 2011, 04:03 PM
tricialeesb's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 900
Beautiful Kelly! You are such a strong woman!

Reply With Quote
January 21st, 2011, 12:46 AM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey Girl trapped in the midwest
Posts: 11,042
yes!!!! i have been impatiently waiting to hear your birth story!!! i am so happy you got your all natural VBAC! Kerrigan is a doll! congrats Kelly!!!
Jacqueline, mommy to Sarah Leveda (12/27/07)and Vincent Bradley (1/23/11)

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
Reply With Quote
January 21st, 2011, 11:20 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 661
What an awesome birth story! You did amazing! God is so good! She is so beautiful! (after seeing your pictures DH went out and bought us a really nice camera! lol)
Mommy to four wonderful boy ages 7, 5, and twins 3

Reply With Quote
January 23rd, 2011, 09:41 AM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 2,058
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
Great story kelly, congrats again. i melted those last few minutes also and i also kept pushing even though they said stop, it was like do or die at that point lol.

after talking and imagining our births for months i am sooooo happy we both ended up with our ideal births. god is good
Heather, Mom to: Devon 17, Trevor 12, Bobby 10, Ryan 9, Breanna 8, Oliver 2
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0