Log In Sign Up

Madison's birth story...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2011, 09:49 AM
jenna83's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 574
Send a message via Yahoo to jenna83
Alrighty... from the beginning... I had a doctor's appointment on the 12th which would have been my last one before the scheduled induction date (I was due on the 9th). At 3am, I woke up feeling crampy and went to the restroom and found that I was bleeding slightly. I didn't want to rush since I had an appointment so went back to sleep. Again, I woke up at 6am cramping again and bleeding more. I still wanted to wait, since I had appt anyways but decided to at least call my Mom/MIL/Dad to let them know it might be time to come over (they live about an hour away).

When I got to my appt at 10:45am, I was 1cm dialated and 100% effaced but there wasn't any concern with going to the hospital immediately but the Dr confirmed that I was in early labor (Yay!) So, we came home and took it easy all day... took a nap... and the contractions were becoming more intense and closer together. After dinner, we decided to all play some Wii bowling through the contractions (LOL!) and then went to bed around midnight. I woke up at 4am in extreme discomfort and pain. I had the chills and was gritting my teeth through each contraction. I decided to take a hot bath- I wanted my DH and family to get rest before we spent the day at the hospital. The bath didn't help at all. Once everyone started waking up I said we needed to go. We got to the hospital around 8:30am and I was 5cm dialated and admitted.

The contractions were intense and wrapping through my lower back, but nothing I couldn't breathe through knowing it would be over in a few minutes. Finally the epidural came and then with it came complication #1: my BP plummeted (55/17!) and with it went Madison's HB and stats... I don't remember much but my DH and Mom said it was very scary... I woke up with an oxygen mask on and feeling MUCH better with being numb from the waist down.

Hours went by and we weren't making great progress- I reached 7cm and stayed there for awhile so they administered the Pitocin. The contractions became more intense (yes, I could feel them... whatever happened to the epidural?) and I reached 8cm. I got TWO Bolus' (sp?) and still could feel the intense pain of contraction after contraction after contraction back to back lasting almost 5mins! They said that the baby was "flying down the birth canal" and at 0 station- and then comes complication #2: they broke my water and it had meconium in it... very thick meconium.

At this point, the doctor said that the baby was too big to fit through my pelvis and was "yo-yoing" (0 station back to -1 station and over and over), I wasn't dialating the way I should and that the meconium posed some problems so we needed to do a c-section. I cried. I felt like I was failing and got scared. So, very quickly, I was being prepped to go into the OR and DH was suiting up. I was given a spinal block since the epidural wasn't working for me and had given us some problems.

I remember being strapped down and looking into DH's eyes and then hearing in the middle of surgery that (here comes complication #3) the cord was wrapped around her neck TWICE... and then a couple of seconds later we heard her first cry. The nurses immediately rushed her over to their station to get her color better- she was blue. Once she was stabilized- we saw her for the first time! She was handed to DH and as I was finishing up surgery family all got to meet her (I wish I could have been a part of this... it makes me sad I missed it and was the LAST ONE to hold my daughter.)

So, all in all, it was a 36hr labor and I didn't even get to attempt pushing one time. She was born on the 13th (Thursday) at 5:41pm weighing 8lbs and being 20 1/2inches long... We were all healthy and happy. The first night in the hospital was unreal. I was alone and couldn't get out of the bed... but the nurses were outstanding! All of the love and support was overflowing from family and my DH and now life is definetly different... it's still unreal to me and I have to pinch myself that I have this precious little bundle that is from me and my husband!
Reply With Quote
January 23rd, 2011, 03:25 PM
kdmommie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,285
Sorry things didn't work out how you wanted them too. I'm glad you have your precious healthy little girl with you now though.

Reply With Quote
January 23rd, 2011, 09:11 PM
MomtoParker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,484
It sounds like you are super happy and that everything ended up being safe for you and baby. It stinks that you had to go through so many ups and downs throughout labor. I hope that all is well with you and your bundle of joy!

Reply With Quote
January 24th, 2011, 01:03 PM
tricialeesb's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 900
What a roller coaster! Good thing is now you have your little girl and she is healthy as can be.

Reply With Quote
March 19th, 2011, 05:32 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,923
I'm sorry it was such a tough road, but what a sweet and beautiful baby you received as a reward for your trial.

I caught my breath when I read about her being blue. Emily had her cord wrapped around her neck as well, but I couldn't see her until they brought her over. I can't imagine how scary it would be to hear that the cord was wrapped around her neck, see her bluish color and know that you're strapped down and helpless.
Wife to sweet husband Jeff and mother to 2 beautiful girls: Emily (2) and Jocelyn (1).

Reply With Quote
March 25th, 2011, 10:27 PM
MommyMelissa's Avatar *Melissa*
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ft Lauderdale FL
Posts: 1,676
im sorry about your complications but am happy you and baby ended up perfectly fine! some labors arent a walk in the park ;( my dd1, my epi failed on me... twice!! i felt everything!! booooooo! well madison is beautiful xoxo
Thank You elleword for my beautiful siggy!!!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0