Log In Sign Up

Evan's arrival!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2011, 09:45 AM
lauraleaf's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,200
I've had such a time being able to read/respond in here or even write something down myself with two kiddos to take care of now! I hope I can type a few things out while I have a moment, and I'll try to finish catching up on your stories soon!

The night of the 11th after watching V while eating the first brownies I had made in almost a year (which I was glad later that I got one last yummy snack in!), I decided I was tired and to head to bed a little earlier than normal. As I was getting ready to turn in for the night, I asked DH again if he thought I would make it to my requested c-section date of January 24th. I was getting a bit worried about it and wondered if I had made the right decision. He said he wasn't so sure because of all the pain I had been having, and I responded, well as long as he isn't born tomorrow- that's all I care about. Of all the things to say! I looked up a bunch of famous January birthdays for the 2-3 week range my doctor wanted to do the c-section in, and I had noticed January 12th was both Howard Stern and Rush Limbaugh's birthday and I told him that I didn't want to have a loud mouthed radio jock! So I totally jinxed myself. I vaguely remember waking up sometime around 4 or 5 am and using the bathroom, but I didn't turn the light on because my insomnia had been so bad that it would have woken me up even more. When DH woke up around 6 to get ready for work, he woke me up in a panic and wanted to know what had happened, because there were blood splatters near the toilet. I got up and checked and yup, I was bleeding just as my doctor had warned might happen, but luckily it wasn't too heavy yet. So we grabbed my bags and DD in her pajamas and jumped in the car. We just had one of the worst snow/ice events I've seen since we moved into to this house, so DH had to thaw the car out to see out and open the doors, and I had to balance down the icy stairs to get to it! Of all the mornings, right?!

We got to L&D and I got put in triage for a few hours to be monitored since the bleeding wasn't gushing. It made me feel a lot better to know that no one was panicking and rushing me off to an OR, so I relaxed a bit, and DH was able to leave for an hour or so to get his mom and set her up watching DD at our home. Unfortunately, while he tried to bring them back to our house, he couldn't get back up the hill in our driveway because of the ice, had to find and use the neighbor's, and wound up falling on the ice and hurting his shoulder! He put off getting it looked at, because we knew he could wind up sitting at the ER for hours since it wasn't a real emergency and I could be going off to surgery any minute. My doctor finally got there a couple of hours into my triage stay, and he looked hilarious because he had obviously just thrown a white lab coat over his street clothes. He decided to go up and talk to the high risk department and call me from there with his advice. When he called he said they recommended either an immediate c-section, or if I was worried about Evan's lungs, I could have an amnio first. If the lungs weren't mature though, I would have to be admitted and rechecked until they were. That sounded like a nightmare! My doctor tried to assure me that while he couldn't guarantee it, that he was pretty sure the lungs were fine by that point and that going ahead and doing the surgery was the safest idea possible, especially since he had done an internal and said the bleeding probably wasn't going to stop. I agreed and we went ahead and started the paperwork to get officially admitted and start the surgery process.

With DD, I had an emergency c-section after 17 hours of labor including 2 painful exhausting hours of pushing. I was sick, upset, and drugged up, and barely remember anything. This time was like night and day compared to that! I was not in labor at all and able to calmly walk into the OR myself. I got a spinal this time, which was more painful to me than the epidural, but so worth it. I felt so sick and felt so much tugging and pressure with DD that I was upset and moaning during her birth, but the spinal block made everything completely numb and wonderful this time. I was alert for the entire birth, and while I did feel a bit dizzy and got a tiny bit sick for about 2 minutes, it was corrected quickly (this time my anesthesiologist rocked and was so attentive!) and I got back to enjoying things. Everyone in the room was so talkative and nice too! With DD, the doctor who did the surgery was really rude to me and made snarky comments. The only thing that went wrong was that I warned everyone in the room that my DH is super queasy about blood and to please make sure that he didn't see me cut open or anything. They didn't think that applied to blood on the baby, just me, so they held Evan up over the curtain right away and he started fainting. So they made him leave the OR and sit down in the hallway outside, boo! Other than that slight hiccup and missing out on him taking pictures for me in the OR, it was so amazing this time. I got Evan brought right over to me and laid on my chest and I got to say hello and kiss him right away! (I didn't get to touch DD for hours) I heard him cry and was happy to hear that his lungs seemed okay and his APGAR score was an 8 or 9. I was taken to recovery and DH finally rejoined me and Evan was brought in too! Last time with DD I was so sick that I was in recovery by myself for 2 hours without seeing her or anybody. I got to hold him and sit up and take pictures. The nurses were a little concerned about Evan for a little while because he was quietly grunting instead of crying so they thought he might have fluid in his lungs, but after they checked his blood sugar (because he was 8 lbs at 37 weeks- it turned out normal)- the crying he did then cleared them out.

After DD's birth I wasn't sure I could deal with that again or have more children, so it was so wonderful this time to have a good experience! As soon as they laid him on my chest I thought "I could do this 10 more times!!"

Reply With Quote
January 28th, 2011, 11:17 AM
NiKA's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,253
Great birth story.

I must say Kolton shares a birthday now too - (Jan 12th)
And that was the only day in jan I didn't want because I personally knew 4 people with the same birthday and wanted something unique for baby - guess he had other ideas
Thank you to Kiliki for my Siggy
Reply With Quote
March 21st, 2011, 08:03 AM
CartersMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,931
Welcome baby boy!!!

What a wonderful birth I can just picture him being layed on your chest
Reply With Quote
March 23rd, 2011, 09:33 PM
MommyMelissa's Avatar *Melissa*
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ft Lauderdale FL
Posts: 1,676
Happy this one went easy for you!

Bella was born on 01/12 too!!
Thank You elleword for my beautiful siggy!!!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0