Log In Sign Up

Tessa Mar's Birth Story ***extremely long! You have been warned:)***

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Mrs.Ajalele's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,043
Send a message via MSN to Mrs.Ajalele
Tessa Mar’s Birth Story
I woke up at about 3:25am on Thursday the 10th of February with an odd feeling. I felt like something had happened and slowly got out of bed. As soon as I stood up I felt a huge gush of water come out. I walked to the toilet and it continued to come out. I was in a little bit of shock but new it had to have been my water b/c I couldn’t control it and it was nonstop. I grabbed a towel and went to go get a depends to put on. As I was coming out of the bathroom my husband woke up and asked if everything was ok. I just smiled nervously and said my water broke we better get up and get things ready to go to the birth center. For some reason he got up and decided to make eggs lol.. I called the midwives and could hear a woman screaming in the background (not the most encouraging sound when your water has just broke). They told me to put a pad on and see if it saturated over 30 min. Well it definitely did and my mucous plug was starting to come out.
At this point I was not having contractions. They did not start till a little after 4:00am and were just mild cramping but were already 6 minutes apart. When I called my midwives back they told me to come on in cause it was the real deal. So my husband and I went up stairs and packed our bags. While driving to the birth center which is only about 15 minutes away I continued to time my contractions. I was sure I wasn’t doing it right cause they were coming every 2-3 minutes and lasting a little over 30 seconds.
When we got to the birth center at about 5:20am we were informed there were three other women in labor! They only have two birthing rooms and hadn’t had this happen in over a year. They got me in a room and hooked up to the monitors and I was right my contractions were coming quickly but were not super strong yet. She checked me and I was only dilated 2.5cm. I was also informed I was GBS + which they had forgotten to inform me of so I would need the IV antibiotics. That was discouraging. She told me that they were going to get the therapist room cleaned up for my husband and I to wait in till one of the birthing rooms was ready. It had a pull out couch and was also used as a waiting room. She said that in the mean time my husband and I should go get some breakfast. We went across the street to McDonalds but I had not appetite and the contractions were starting to get stronger and stronger. My husband ate some food and then we went back over to the birth center.
When we got back my contractions were pretty strong and we were still waiting on the room so I walked around breathing through them. I could not believe how close together they were. They just kept coming and getting stronger and stronger. I had expected for more of a break between contractions but b/c my water had already broken there was no real break. Finally they had they therapist room ready and we went in there about 7:00am. I was breathing and swaying through the contractions and felt very nauseated so they got me a throw up bowl just in case. After a little while of that I felt so I exhausted I did not want to stand anymore. I had gone to bed at a little after 1:00am that morning and had gotten very little sleep the night before. I was so tired and nauseated all I wanted to do was lay down. The midwife asked me if I wanted nubain to help me get some rest. I told her no and that I was not that exhausted (total lie). So I laid in bed for a while switching sides back and forth. I was also having really bad hot and cold flashes during the contractions. I found just saying “oh my gosh” over and over again through the contractions helped a lot.. I also wanted to throw my husband’s phone and my phone across the room anytime I heard them vibrating. However I was trying to remain reasonable lol.
At some point a new midwife was switching on and was in the hall talking to my current midwife. She was giving report to her about all of us. I could hear them talking and she brought me up and was talking about what little sleep I was going off of and how she was worried my body wouldn’t progress b/c I was so tired and couldn’t get any rest in between my contractions. She said that she wouldn’t have been so worried except the fact my water had already broken so I was on a time limit unlike the other ladies there. She was worried they would have to send me to the hospital. That really bummed me out and at that point I was willing to admit how exhausted I was. I told my husband to go get the midwife and I would take the nubain so I could just get some rest before I had to deal with transition contractions.
He went and got her (the oncoming new midwife) and I talked to her about it. She told me it would not slow my labor down but just help take the edge off. I agreed and she checked me first to make sure I wasn’t super far along. I was at 4cm so she gave me the shot. At first I didn’t think it was going to do anything cause the contractions were still strong but eventually I must have fallen asleep. I want to say it was 9:00 or 9:30am when I got the shot and I woke up a little after 11:00am to the same contractions I had fallen asleep to. I felt more energized though and was ready to get up and start walking and get ready to move to one of the birthing rooms and hopefully get in the tub. I felt more prepared to deal with just off of that little bit of sleep and the medicine did not do anything else to me and had wore off.
The midwife and nurse were in the room talking with me about switching rooms cause they were getting one of them cleaned up from a birth. At that point I realized my contractions had changed. I started feeling a ton of pressure and a major urge to push through each one. I asked the midwife if it was normal for me to already have the urge to push. She asked me to describe what I was feeling and I did. She then decided to check me. I thought maybe I was at 6 or 7cm at the most cuase it had only been an hour and half since I had last been checked. Well she checked me and said “We don’t have time to move you. You are going to have the baby in here. You are 9 cm dilated” She then started telling the nurses to get everything they would need in there. This was sometime after 10:30am. She told me when it was really time to push I would know and to tell her. Until then they were getting everything ready for me to give birth. It felt crazy I couldn’t quite wrap my head around it all happening so fast.
Pretty close to 11am I told her that I really needed to push. I was on the pull out couch which thankfully was very comfy. We all got in place and I ended up on my back which I did not think I would want at all but I did not want to move. I started pushing with each contraction and would get so discouraged when I had to stop b/c I could feel my baby slide back a little. They coached me through it and got me a mirror to show me I was making progress. At one point that told me to reach down and feel her head. That was an amazing moment. Both of those things really helped me through b/c I felt like I just could not push her out! Every time I would say “I can’t!” my midwife would say we don’t use that phrase in here. Her and my nurse were amazing and truly helped me through. My husband was standing that the end of the bed as well and would tell me what he saw and how he could see our little girl. The midwife kept pouring some type of oil down there to help with stretching me out. I was so bummed b/c one of my friends had told me how great pushing was cause it was such a relief. I did not feel that way at all! It hurt and I felt like nothing was going to come of it. Finally I got her far enough out that she wasn’t going to slide back in and my only option was to get her out! So I pushed really hard through my last contractions and the best part was when her head came out! The rest came out with one more contraction and me pushing but was not as bad as that “ring of fire” as they call it.
Rita (my midwife) immediately took her out suctioning her and placing her on my stomach. Then there she was my beautiful little blue alien baby. I was just in awe staring at her. I double checked it was a girl and just held her there on my chest. She was covered in the vernix and very cheezy. The nurse and midwife said they hadn’t even seen a preemie so cheezy but that it would be great for her skin. Which they let just naturally absorb and by the way her skin still looks amazingJ About 10 minutes later I got another urge to push and the placenta came out. Then my DH cut the chord once it had finished pulsating. As I was being checked we just stared at our beautiful baby girl.. I pushed for 28 minutes and gave birth at 12:23pm to a 7lb 10 oz 20 ¼ inches baby girl.
I had no tears. Just Some bruising and “skidmarks”. I had a lot of bleeding though. My baby girl was perfect. Had an apgar score of 9 immediately and looked absolutely great. I was the only one with any complications and it was from blood loss/low blood sugar. It was awful but only when I was up from laying down. As long as I was laying down I was fine. There was an instant where I passed out and a few times where I had to be held up. My pulse also got really high which has never happened to me before. Now they have me taking iron 3 times a day. I had never had problems with this throughout the whole pregnancy so it was different to actually have complications. Everything was manageable though.
We got to leave the birth center 9 hours after labor. We were glad to go home and be a family so quickly. Oh and Tessa was the first baby ever born in that roomJ We love that part of it and the nurses and midwife even joked the room could be named after her. It was an amazing experience. Not at all what I expected but I wouldn’t change a thing!

*Always loving and missing my best friend the mother of my beautiful Goddaughter **Marissa Sue** you are always in my heart Mar Mar!* Left this earth to go to Heaven June 22nd 2008*

Reply With Quote
February 15th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10,040
Congrats again! What a great story!! I really enjoyed reading it and it makes me look forward to my own birth center experience!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11), Caleb (8/6/12) and Carson (10/14/14)Expecting #4 February 2017!!!
Life As We Know It
Reply With Quote
February 16th, 2011, 04:03 AM
OOCMarie314's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buffalo,NY
Posts: 657
Good for you! What a great story. Tough girl holding out on the nubain! LOL

***Thanks GRAYSMAMA for the Siggy*****

Reply With Quote
February 16th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,091
Amazing story. You sound like such a strong person! I loved how detailed and concise you were. Thanks for sharing and God bless you and your little family!

Photo Tinks by WiddlyTinks.com

Reply With Quote
February 16th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Purple654's Avatar Rhett's Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,961
Great birth story! Awesome work girl! Best wishes to you 3!

Reply With Quote
February 16th, 2011, 01:42 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,122
What a great birth story! Congratulations!
~Kasi~ Mommy to Sean Elliot and Taylor Joelle!

Reply With Quote
February 17th, 2011, 08:33 AM
AmieK623's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 1,321
Congrats! Great story, thanks for sharing!
Amie & Eric ~ Emily, 8 and Katelyn, 4

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0