Log In Sign Up

Logan David's Birthday!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2011, 12:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DC Area
Posts: 4,574
Finally sitting down at a real computer to post Logan's birth story! Love the iPad - but it is not condusive to writing anything lenghty

Our tale starts at a bit before 5 am on 2/13. My eyes shot open to a sensation that I thought was me wetting myself. I ran to the bathroom, and thought I peed. Though, I knew something wasn't right. I put on a pad, and returned to bed, only to have the same sensation about 5 minutes later. At that point, I did the only logical thing and posted on here to figure it out, while Kevin looked it up in What to Expect.... Kevin concluded it was my mucous plug, that I still had a week or two, and told me to go back to bed. I knew something wasn't right though, and called the on call doctor, who told me to come to L&D. Frantically, we packed my bag (something that was on my agenda for the day!), let the dog out, threw some snacks for DH is a lunch bag, and headed out, convinced we'd be home, embarrased to be 'one of those crazy parents-to-be that shows up at L&D with a faulty bladder.'

We check in, and head upstairs. After changing into a hosptial gown, my doctor comes in, takes one look and says, 'her water broke, hook her up and send her to a birthing room'

Shock and denial don't begin to express my feelings at this point! They checked to make sure he was head down (he was) and told me I was 1 cm and 60%. So, they sent me upstairs, and started me on pitocin... something I tried to get out of, but they said I needed it since my water had broken and they needed him out w/i 24 hours. They also started me on an antibiotic since I tested GBS+.

I started having regular contractions pretty quickly, but they weren't terrible. At around 2 I asked for my epidural, but they had to check my blood first since my platelets were low at my last appointment, and they were at 101 when I came in. They had dropped to 93, and they told me they needed to check again in an hour to see if they could give me an epi. At this point, I burst into tears. I was in a lot of pain, and I was barely getting 30 seconds rest between contractions, and I was only 3 cm dialated. I couldn't walk around because of the pit, and I was not a happy camper. They lowered the pit and gave me a narcotic. Felt oh so much better after that! I got a little rest in my doped up state, and after about 90 minutes, and a few blood draws, they told me I could get the epi since all my other numbers were fine. After that, i felt oh so much better, and they started me back up on the pit.

At about 630, they checked me again, and I was up to 5 cm, 100% effaced. So I rested a bit more. At 8:30, they checked again, and to my suprise, I was at 10, and was told to get ready to start pushing! Eek! So, I started... 3 hours, and many pushes later, Logan David made his arrival into the world at 11:32 pm, just shy of Valentine's Day!

We had to wait in L&D for a while to make sure they could remove my Epi because of the platelet issue. They did at some point (not sure of the time at this point - I was tired, and in a blur ).

At around 5, they set up me in a streacher to move me into recovery... and the dang orderly didn't come until almost 630. They wheeled me upstairs and I tried to sleep... but was soon innundated with nurses and doctors. At 9:30 we tried to nurse again... but Logan was too sleepy. They checked his glucose levels, and they had dropped to 32 He was admitted to the NICU at 10:15 and I was exhausted, terrified, and oh so sad. In addition, my platelets continued to drop. I was not in a good place.

We went to visit him in the NICU at about 12:30, and he was all hooked up to an IV of dextrose and an antibiotic since they were concerned about him having an infection.

He was on the glucose drip and the Antibiotic until Wednesday, at which point they took off him off both IV's! Hurrah! Of course, his bilirubin numbers went up, and they started him on the phototherapy blanket. He was maintaining his glucose level, but was still a pokey eater... until his circumcision. Apparently that 'woke him up' and his 'poor' feedings started to be consistently 'fair.'

By Thursday, they started prepping us for a Friday discharge, as long as his feedings kept up, his bilirubin stayed down, and he passed his carseat test.

On Friday, I had a follow-up with the hematologist, who cleared me since my platelets were back up to normal! We went out to one last 'baby free' lunch and headed over to the hospital. Logan's doctor wanted us to try one bottle with him (entirely of breast milk - my vigalent pumping helped my milk come in pretty quickly - though the bottle feeding had left him with some difficulty latching properly).

Anyways, he had a successful bottle feed, and then passed his car seat test! My baby boy was coming home! YAY!!!

It's been a joy having him home! He's a good little guy, and his feeds are getting better every day. Loving my life as a Mommy so far - though I'm still in a bit of a daze that he arrived 4 weeks early!

Reply With Quote
February 23rd, 2011, 04:41 PM
pinkalicious75's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 3,581
wow! Crazy story! Never saw that coming huh?

labor is a funny thing, a truly random occurrence for some people.

So glad to hear that all is well now , he's such a cutie Deb!
url=http://lilypie.com]Thank you HeatherW for updating my siggie![/url]
Reply With Quote
February 23rd, 2011, 05:35 PM
aitch's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,547
I couldn't believe he came so early but so pleased both you and him made it home with only a short stay. Must have been so scary though!

Did you deliver at Fairfax?
Reply With Quote
February 23rd, 2011, 05:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DC Area
Posts: 4,574
Yeah, we delivered at Fairfax. All the nurses - L&D, recovery and especially NICU were amazing.

Is that where you're delivering?

Reply With Quote
February 26th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Stacey's Avatar Super Star...mom to 6 ♥
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 21,411
Wow, what a birth story...I cant believe he came so early but am glad that he didnt have to spend weeks in the NICU and was able to come home

Reply With Quote
February 28th, 2011, 10:42 AM
GinaS.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,097
Congrats on your little guy. He is adorable!!
Reply With Quote

birth story, march 11 birth story

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0