Log In Sign Up

Colton Robert's Birth Story! **LONG**

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2011, 08:00 AM
sblades19's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,930
My pregnancy with Colton was a fairly uneventful and pleasant one. DH and I planned seroiusly for this bundle of joy starting with coming off the IUD in December, then off the BCP in April last year. I started charting/temping and taking vit B complex vitamins. We started TTC ASAP...We had a chemical pregnancy our first cycle of TTC...it was a long cycle too, 40 days long...but we went at it again cycle 2 after BCP. And it was a text book success! One of the most amusing things about the pregnancy is that I concieved Colton's June 7th (this was Ovulation day) and he was due Feb 27th. 7 year before, DH and I got pregnant with Kaden, our oldest, June 7th 2003...due date Feb 27th.
We had a bleed scare around our 20th week. We had been DTD when we realized I was bleeding. ALOT. SO off to the ER we went. Turned out I wasn't bleeding from the uterus, but my cervix had just been irritated. Soon thereafter, I started experiencing some painful BH contractions that I thought were real...so back to the ER we went. Everything turned out just fine. This continued throughout the rest of my pregnancy, and that combined with some white cells, placed us on pelvic rest til 36 weeks.
We were also pretty nervous and anxious about how his eyes would be. We had several family and friends praying for his health and his eyes. DD has a genetic disorder called LCA...a retinal degenerative disease which has caused her to be severely visually impaired. There is a 1/4 or 25% chance of having an infected child with each pregnancy. DS1 is not effected. So, as you can imagine, we were praying hard and very worried!
At 38 weeks, I was 3 cm and 70% effaced. We scheduled his induction date for Feb. 21st, but there was a chance I'd get bumped bc we were last to be added to the schedule.
So Feb. 21 came...I called and they said, yes, come in at 6:30 am...30 minutes later, they called and canceled. I had been contracting all night and hardly slept bc of pain and excitement, so as you can imagine, I was pretty bummed we had gotten bumped for Tuesday, Feb. 22nd.
We thought he might just come on his own. My contractions kept coming in 6-8 minutes patterns throughout the day...some worse than others. I had gone on a 4 mile walk with my parents which was followed by a bloody show. So we were excited. But, nothing happened.
5 am, Tuesday, I called L&D. They told me to come on at 6, they were ready for me! So, we got ready and headed out at 5:45. I was having contractions regularly at 6 minutes apart when we got there and got all hooked up. They started my first bag of fluids. My OB came in a checked me around 7...I was 4-5 cm and 80%. She went ahead and I think stripped my membranes, trying to help my water break. So she said, if my water hadn't broken before she got back, she would be breaking it. So they decided to go ahead and start my pitocin. They set it to a 2...she said normally, they would put it on 20! But since my contractions were coming along nicely, they did minmal amount. So anyway, about 5 minutes later, my water broke. I wasn't sure if it was my water or if I had peed myself bc when it happened, I was laughing. I was sure it was my water bc I didn't have any "relief" when it happened. Then sure enough, I felt alot more gushing. It wasn't long after my water breaking, when I experienced the worst, most earth shattering, and probably the longest contraction ever known to man!!!! I wanted my epidural and I wanted it then and there. So my wonderful nurse, Katie, ran out and grabbed the anesteisiologist (sp?). My contractions went from 6 minutes to 1-1.5 minutes apart...when I sitting up, hunched over, while this man was putting that large needle in my back. They were so awful and having to hold still was nearly impossible. But I did it. I breathed through the first one and decided I had 6 minutes til the next one, so he should be done before the next one kicked in...not so much! So he gave me a super strong dose, along with two other medicines, one being a narcotic. :/ I wasn't a fan...I hate anything that makes me feel woozy or out of it and that is exactly what it did to me. I didn't wanna be all druggy for my birth experience but it was too late! Katie checked me again bc there was a drop in his heart rate. Did you know when that happens, it usually means your transitioning? Anyway, I was a 7 a this point and moving along quickly. My pitocin hadn't even began to work yet either. I went from a 7-9 in about 30 minutes, maybe less. She called my OB to let her know, I was about to be ready to go...as soon as the call was made, there was another drop and she checked me once more and sure enough it was pushin time! I was so nervous...it had all gone so fast, I couldn't believe I was ready to push him out. My wonderful OB came in and it was all very strange...very calm. DH was on my left, Katie, on my right, and my OB of course was in position to catch the baby. In my memory I feel like she was just sitting on the bed, all chill, and normal as they coached me through the each push.
Pushing was really frustrating, even though it only took 13 minutes to push him out. I couldn't feel anything. And I was pissed. With DD, I had an epi but I could feel everything. It just wasn't painful. Finally, when she told me to stop midpush, I could feel some pressure. I heard her suctioning his mouth so I knew then his head was out. His cord was also wrapped around his neck, which she calmly unwrapped then had me push one more time. And at 9:34 am Feb. 22nd, out he came, and he let out the loudest, clearest cry! He sounded fabulous. They laid his bluish whitish gookiness on me and I touched his warm, squirming body and fell in love! I thought, my God, he is fat! HUGE! Long too! I watched them carry my swollen bundle over to get wiped down and newborned up...it is all a little fuzzy...I just watched him. Finally, it was time to weigh him...I heard them announce he was 9 lbs and 3 oz and 21 1/2 inches long! I couldn't believe it! No one could believe it! My stomach wasn't very big. I am not very big! And I didn't even tear and I felt great...well, once the shaking wore off. I shook terrible bad. The nurse had to hold him while I nursed bc the shaking was so bad. She kept telling me it was normal and would ware off soon as the drugs wore off. I was thinking, ***, I didn't not shake with my other two. She then explained to me the what and why of my strong dosage...bc I was moving along so fast. It was a Godsend considering how big he was! Could you imagine pushing out a nine pounder without meds? Ha ha! Ask my mom...she is 4'11 and pushed out my fat ten pound butt without drugs! Ca-razy!
Anyway, Colton and I were doing very well, very quickly. He was circumsized the next morning (didn't even cry) and the pediatrician signed off for us to go home that day (at our request). So just 27 hours after giving birth, we got to come home.

So, Colton was concieved the same day, due the same day, then born the same day as his older brother, Kaden, 7 years apart.

He is now ten days old, and nursing well and doing well. So far, his eyes seem to be working just fine. I haven't said it out loud or written it until now, afraid I might jinx it. So if you could say a little prayer for his eyes that would be wonderful. He does look at me a lot. Something I never expereinced with Ryleigh. :/ It is quite an emotional thing!

Special thank you to Graysmama for my awesome siggy!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0