Log In Sign Up

Keith Elliott arrived February 9th

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2011, 07:02 PM
~*Seldom.Seen*~'s Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 919
I never posted a birth story for #2 so I don't think any of you know that I ended up getting induced after nearly two weeks of having days with contractions four to five minutes apart for hours on end but when I'd go in to the office to be checked they would stop, but start again as soon as I'd get home. I just generally felt yucky and the baby wasn't moving nearly as much but when I'd get a NST he would start moving again so they would send me home again. I was about 1cm dilated for those two weeks too.
I went in to be induced on the 8th of February at 6am. The midwife put cervidil in at around 8am. By 12:30pm I was having contractions pretty regular and intense, that continued all afternoon and at 6:30 when the midwife checked me she said I was at about a 4 and would got to a 5 with the contractions so she decided to take the cervidil out and break my water because she thought it would help me progress faster. After that I lost track of time but at some point a little later the contractions were getting so close and intense that I told them that I HAD to have something to help with the pain. I didn't want an epi because I had complications one other time with one, so they gave me nubain to help with the pain... I can't say that I really noticed a difference. Sometime later the midwife said that she really thought they should start pitocin to see if that would make the contractions more intense and closer together. The baby would come down with each contraction but wouldn't stay down, so she thought if we used the pitocin that would help get him out. I was already so exhausted that I knew I wouldn't be able to stand the pitocin without an epi and since there was a team coming in to do a C-section she recommended that I get an epi since they were already there. I did finally give in and agree to the epi. At this point my contractions were like 1 to 2 minutes apart if that and REALLY intense. (Seriously I don't think my contractions were that intense with #1 even right before he was born... he was a completely natural birth). As soon as I got the epi things really changed.... I of course couldn't feel anything from about my armpits down and I was so tired. The midwife told me she wanted me to sleep for a couple of hours before she started the pitocin that way I'd have enough energy to push, I was still not fully dilated so she thought we had time that I could rest. Well as soon as I'd start to drift off to sleep the midwife and nurse would wake me to have me change position because the baby "doesn't like you lying like that". Then I remember hearing the nurse say the monitor kept shutting down and she wasn't getting an accurate reading. About that time I reached over an got ahold of Troy's arm, he said "they want you to sleep,, just rest" I started to tell him I didn't dare, and they had me turn over again. The reason I was telling him I didn't dare go to sleep was because every time I would feel relaxed enough to sleep I realized I wasn't breathing. About that same time they realized that the machine WAS getting accurate readings and my BP would drop to 76/45 and the baby's heart rate was 40 bpm during every contraction. After that everything gets confusing, because I was just concentrating on breathing and listening to baby's heartbeat. They called in the OB on call and I was told later that they did end up giving me pitocin because we (baby and I) had stabilized a little and they thought if I could push a few times baby would come out. They had me push a couple times but my BP and Baby's HB dropped back to nothing. Finally they decided that there was no other option but a C-section. There were a couple times that the midwife actually had to reach in and rub the baby's head to stimulate him because they had lost his heartbeat.... really scary stuff going on. I was given a shot to stop my contractions because that seemed to be the only time we would bottom out. I totally lost it and was freaking out on the way across the hall to the operating room. But by the time they got me prepped (which was only a couple minutes) baby's HB was normal and my BP was okay. Baby came out pink and crying at 12:37 a.m. Wednesday, February 9thÖ so all was fine in my world.
After surgery I was taken to my room for recovery, they brought me Keith about 3:30 a.m. to feed him then they took him back to the nursery because I could not get him in and out of his bassinet by myself. I thought things were going to be okay at that point and I just needed some sleep. Within an hour of me sending Keith to the nursery I was in SO much pain I couldnít stand it. I called the nurse in and she gave me a shot of morphine and said that would help within a few minutes. Well it didnít, the pain only got worse. By 6 a.m. was in tears and couldnít believe I was in so much pain. I remember the anesthesiologist telling the recovery nurse to leave my epi line running until the next morning, so how could I be in pain? I started checking all tubes that were hooked to me, when I checked the epi line that was taped to my right shoulder and ran to the pole it was broken off about a 12 inches out from my shoulder. No wonder I was in so much pain. When I called the nurse back in to tell her she acted like I had done something to break it. And that was just about shift change so that nurse was leaving and another one coming in. The new nurse gave me something in my IV for pain and also discovered that the other nurses had left the binder on too tight and as soon as she undid it that helped with a lot of the pain.
After that first few hour following surgery things seemed to go well, for a while. By the next day I had so much swelling from my waist down it was ridiculous. I kept asking if this was normal and everyone said yes. Between the extra fluids from pregnancy, the five liters of fluids the pumped into me to try to regulate my BP, and being in bed for a whole day that was probably why I was so swelled. On top of that my whole abdomen was one big huge purple bruise, really gross. All the nurses had to come in and look at it, the doctors all said it was probably like that because I bruise easily and they were not to gentle getting baby out, since it was an emergency. By the end of my hospital stay the swelling still hadnít started going down but the bruise seemed to be dissipating some. The last day I noticed that there was a small amount of blood oozing from between my steri strips on the incision, but the nurses didnít seem alarmed. Troy picked Keith and up from the hospital about 1 p.m. on Saturday, February 12th, we went straight to my parentsí house (right across the road from our house) because Dad is not able to get out so he had not seen Keith yet. We were there a few hours and came home. Tried to get settled in and Troy got some baby things around that we hadnít gotten to yet. At bed time Zac was a wreck, he was scared mommy was not going to be here when he got up so he didnít want to go to sleep. I had never spent a night away until I went into the hospital. I finally got him settled and went to bed. Troy slept on the couch because he was afraid that heíd bump me and hurt me in his sleep. Sometime in the middle of the night I got up to feed Keith and when I was getting ready to go back to bed I remember thinking it was really cold in the house so I bundled Keith and I up and tried to go back to sleep but I couldnít because I was in pain again and I felt all shaky. Around 4:30 a.m. Zac came into my room fussing, so we were cuddling I had to get up to use the bathroom around 5:30 a.m. And when I was getting back in bed I felt something wet on my pjís so I went back to the bathroom to see what was going on, Zac followed me in there. As soon as I turned the light on all I could see was blood on the front of my pajamasÖ the whole front of them. I was trying not to panic but at the same time trying to figure out where it was coming from, the incision or vaginally and soaking up the front. I yelled at Troy to wake him up and told him I was bleeding and needed help. It was my incision that was gushing. He panicked, I was trying not to, there was blood all over the floor by this point and Zac is running around trying to get someone to pick him up. Iím thinking - Iím going to bleed to death and that is the last thing Zac is going to remember about his mom. I grabbed a couple of towels, and the phone, and went to lie down on the bed. I put the towels on the incision, called mom to have her come stay with Zac and Troy called the midwife to tell her we were on our way to the ER she told us to take the baby with us. When he got off the phone he asked if we should take the truck or the van. I said ďneither. You are calling 911Ē. That is when he really got scared, because we both volunteer with our Ambulance and local Fire Depts. and I am always saying ďIíll have to be dying before Iíll call you guys to take me anywhereĒ (jokingly of course). By the time the Ambulance got to the house a few minutes later the bleeding has slowed down so I wasnít quite as scared. But after being in the ambulance for a few minutes there was so much pressure on my bladder that I thought I was going to wet myself. We are about 20 miles from the hospital and the roads were really crappy with snow and ice. So by the time we got to the hospital I was in a lot of pain from the pressure in my bladder. The ER nurse put a catheter in as soon as we got there and the 2 liter bag was filled about ĺ way in just a couple minutes. She stood there shaking her head saying ďthis has got to be some kind of recordĒ. She emptied a liter out; they sent me for a CT scan and then another one when I got back from the scan. So the fluid was finally coming out but my bladder decided it didnít know how to empty itself any longer.
At the hospital that day they determined that the blood was actually pooled in a pocket under the incision and had just finally worked its way out. It wasnít actively bleeding, fresh blood. So they packed it and re-bandaged it and sent me home after several hours. While there the one nurse noticed that Keith was having issues latching on while I was breastfeeding him so she helped us and let us stay until he wanted to eat again so she could help us again and give us some more pointers.
So I went home with the catheter still in, a bag strapped to my leg, and instructions given to Troy and a friend of mine on how to re pack the incision every day.
I really donít remember the next two weeks after that (from Feb. 13th till about the 1st of March). I was so not feeling good, between getting someone to empty my catheter bag, to having someone re pack my dressing, and trying to feed Keith every hour or two and him not getting enough, I wasnít eating or drinking enough, a touch of PPD where Iíd cry for no reason at all and it may last a minute to an hour, going back to the drís to have everything rechecked every two days. I really wish they would have just kept me in the hospital that next week, I would have done better. I had to wear the Catheter about days before it could be removed, and about two weeks after the surgery the swelling finally went away completely.
So, really I am much better now, the PPD seems to have worked itself out, the bladder knows what itís supposed to do, and my incision is finally almost completely healed. Iím still adjusting to having two kiddos, who are on totally different schedules, getting housework done, and remembering that I have to think of dinner at some point before Troy gets home from work, which Iíve been really slacking on.

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0