Log In Sign Up

Elizabeth Anne's Birth Story (long)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Rabbit8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Georgetown, ON
Posts: 5,235
Elizabeth Anne: born March 18, 2011 at 8:16am, weighing 7 lbs, 14 oz and 20 inches long.

I started feeling real contractions at around 10:30ish Thursday night and when I went to bed I was unable to sleep through them, plus they were time-able. Finally at around 11:30 I went out to the living room to grab my phone to use the contraction timer and gave Dave the heads up. At midnight they were now 4-7 minutes apart lasting a minute and getting stronger, Dave called our neighbor to come over and watch Ayla and we got ready to go. It was pouring rain, but hardly any traffic due to the time of night, I was texting with my friend on the way. We arrived at the hospital around 1am and checked into triage and by then they were 3 minutes apart.

Triage was a loooong wait, around 2 hours long, and contractions coming steady but I was able to complain about our wait through them no problem. When I was checked I was at 4cm and finally brought to a delivery room. The room was AWESOME, very spacious with a tub and my nurse was incredible, she didn’t leave once except to go get something I needed. I spent the next couple of hours walking around and having contractions about two minutes apart, strong enough where I couldn’t talk through them anymore. I used the table thing they work on the baby with to lean on while Dave pressed on my lower back to help with the pain. He was an incredible help during my whole labor, doing exactly what I needed and not bothering me by talking. The nurse was likewise incredible, giving me encouragement in a soft voice, she must have sensed I didn’t really want to be spoken too that much. She kept on saying that I was doing everything exactly the way I should be, walking to encourage progress, getting on my hands and knees, all that stuff.

After a while I decided to give the tub a try for pain relief and as soon as I got in it, it made my contractions come on much, much stronger, but the hot water felt so good. Dave sat in a chair and used some towels to pour/press hot water on my lower back. The contractions got very brutal in the tub though no matter what I did to work through them, I was in full on back labor and all my mental pep talks weren’t working anymore, like telling myself that each contraction brought her closer, so I decided to give nitrous a try.

I got out of the tub and the gas did pretty much nothing for that pain. By now I was at 5cm and getting no breaks between contractions from the pain no matter what I or Dave did. My hips felt like they were falling off, Dave was doing what he could by applying pressure to my lower back and hips but I was in hell. I started bawling from it, by now it was around 5-5:30am and I was definitely losing it. Some resident came in to ask me questions and I was pretty rude but he wouldn’t shut up. I basically told him I didn’t feel like talking right then and to talk to my husband. LOL The nurse got him out of there pretty quick, it really wasn’t a good time for someone to come in to ask me stupid questions about whatever.

My doctor came in to check me per my request and I was dismayed to be at only 7cm. They asked me if I wanted an epi (I think I said something about it first) and I couldn’t decide since I had gone into labor wanting a NCB and already felt like I failed at that by using the gas. But then I was just in so much pain and started bawling again trying to decide and in the end asked for one. I remember my doctor asking me if I was crying because of the pain or for deciding about the epi and I said the epi.

It felt like I had to wait an eon for the anesthesiologist to come in (man was he HOT lol) and it was another eon before he got it all hooked up. But I was contracting like crazy and it got SO much worse when they had me sitting up on the edge of the bed, this is when I started screaming from them. Right in poor Dave’s face, since he was helping me stay propped up. Meanwhile he’s not in the best way either, since it was now around six and he was utterly exhausted. He actually passed out for a few seconds, the epi was in by then I think but the nurse had to support him, his head was on my lap, I’m freaking out, other nurses come in. I said in this pathetic voice “but he’s my support!” and they thought I meant labor coach but I meant it literally as I was going to slide off the bed.

So the epi was in and it took a while to take effect but then relief. Dave got to sleep for a couple of hours and I dozed, it was much needed rest for both of us. The epi numbed me but not completely, I could still feel the contractions and move my legs and stuff, which was nice to still feel those things. My doctor came in to check me at some point and I was at 8cm with my water bulging. She asked me if I wanted her to break my water and I said yes so she did.

Getting on towards 8am I felt a lot of pressure and gave little pushes, I could feel Liz entering the birth canal so I told the nurse. She checked me and I was fully dilated and the baby was right there. We woke Dave up and I asked him to go to the car to get our camera as we only had our phones but the nurse was like “NO! He’ll miss it if he goes anywhere!” Liz’s heart rate did drop a bit, but came right back up. My doctor came in with a resident and student (I consented to both), and the nurse wanted me on my back for pushing but I kept on telling her no, she made me get on my back but I was having none of it and didn’t care what she said, I got into a position to push that felt right for me. Then I looked around and they were all staring at me, so I said too many people were just looking at me and it was making me uncomfortable, so the resident left. I started to push then and ten minutes later Liz was born! It was amazing feeling her come out.

They put her on me right away which is exactly what I wanted. She came out very alert and aware, looking at me and ‘smiling’ (poor girl has had terrible gas pains since birth but it’s gotten better). The placenta took forever though, I guess it was really big and wasn’t detaching. I tore a tiny bit, got one little stitch that at first she wasn’t sure I needed.

The only scary thing was that I was bleeding very heavily and it wasn’t slowing down. So I had to get something through the IV line for that, which did help but I was very sick of that fraking IV by then and wanted it out. They needed to make sure the bleeding was under control though, which it was eventually. Once I was able to walk around on my own I was moved to a room, and thankfully wasn’t there long. My roommate was terrible, there’s rules about visitors and they were breaking all of them, being very loud, too many people when it wasn’t even visiting hours yet and one of the guys must have poured a bottle of cologne on. It was so bad my eyes burned. Thankfully I was moved to a private room later on that day, I’ll say that much!

We’re home now and adjusting very well. Ayla loves being a big sister and is good around the baby and so far I don’t see any jealousy, but we’re making sure that she’s involved with things and taking time to do one on one stuff with her, like playing go fish and whatever.
Steph mom to Ayla and Elizabeth
Reply With Quote
March 20th, 2011, 08:10 PM
wintereast's Avatar Theresa334
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,156

Reply With Quote
March 23rd, 2011, 08:45 PM
aitch's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,547
I'm so happy for you Steph (absolutely NO sarcastic orange here!). Congratulations and I'm so pleased Ayla is enjoying being a big sister.
Reply With Quote
March 24th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Rabbit8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Georgetown, ON
Posts: 5,235
Haha sarcastic orange. We need to make that the thing around here. Thanks Helen, it was really close to the birth I wanted, wished I had been able to do natural but couldn't take it with the back labor I had. I'm not beating myself up over it though.
Steph mom to Ayla and Elizabeth
Reply With Quote

birth story, march 11 birth story

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0