Log In Sign Up

Caleb Miles' birth story- 3/31/11

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2011, 12:55 PM
mrsfitz31b's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,164
I guess I'd have to say I noticed something was different the two days before I had him. I had a lot more BH contractions that were a lot more intense, and I was having a crazy amount of BM's, but I just attributed that to the end of pregnancy.

On 3/30/11, about 2 in the afternoon, I went for another one of my many bathroom breaks and noticed that I was having what I was sure was "blood show"... pink/red/brown tinged mucus. I didn't get too excited, though- I'd had a cervical check two days prior so I figured I was either dilating or she had just messed around in there too rough. I of course posted saying I thought I was having bloody show but it could still be a few days... and I went back to watching Law & Order SVU on netflix, and I made myself a tombstone pizza haha!

About 3 I started having contractions. They weren't too bad, nothing to even really pay attention to, I figured it was BH time again and continued on with my SVU and pizza. After about an hour, I was having them every ten minutes, and I found that I couldn't sit and enjoy my show through them- I had to get up and circle my kitchen because it felt better than sitting.

I texted my mom, who was 30 minutes away, to tell her what was going on and to tell her to keep her phone ready- I texted my Grandmother and my Aunt, too, since they were my people, and they all happened to be 30-60 minutes away at the time, and it was a bad snow storm starting up outside.

By 5 I was having contractions every 5-8 minutes, and I was still watching SVU and eating pizza and Mrs. Field's mini cookies, walking through my kitchen and breathing. It wasn't horrible so I thought it couldn't be real labor. I spent the next 2-3 hours talking to my friend on FB chat and we laughed and timed my contractions to see if maybe they'd get closer.

At 9 I called my mom and told her to come over, I was having them every 5 minutes, and if they picked up in the night I needed her there to drive me 40 minutes away to my hospital. She said ok- this better be it she joked- and 45 minutes later she was over. I was still having them every 5 minutes, it was about 10, and she had brought her stupid dog over too. She said we should go to the hospital because she could tell that I was in actual labor even though I wasn't really sure. We got in the car with all the bags and the dog and we took the dog to her friend's house and got gas before we got on the highway.

While getting gas I finally hit active labor. Needless to say, a 40 minute drive in a snow storm to your hospital while having contractions every 2 minutes was so frustrating. I was climbing all over the passenger seat, breathing through them "like a champion baby birther" as my mom said, and I was telling her to go faster because I needed to walk.

By the time we got to the hospital at about 10:45, I was having them every minute for a minute. I adamently refused to get into the wheelchair and instead put all the bags in it and told the nurses that there was no way they were making me sit down right now. I did take a ride in the stupid chair after being told I had to, but when I got into my Pretty Pusher gown and hooked up to the monitors I again refused to get into the bed and told them that I was only keeping the monitor on for a short while because I needed to walk.

It was about 11, I was having them every minute for 50 seconds, I was breathing through them and vocalizing now kind of a soft hum. It wasn't unbearable but I didn't want to be touched which made my people rather anxious since they wanted to help me- I wanted to do everything alone, I was just fine, stop touching me, NO I don't want the epidural stop asking. My water broke at this point during the cervial check- nice and clear.

I was 7 cm when I got check at 11:15 ish. I continued standing and swaying and vocalizing for the next few hours, the contractions never eased up. By 1 I was at 8 cm. I asked for some Nubain to relax and finally got into the bed. The nubain took the edge off- I was pretty much high as a kite... it was nice. I was already completely effaced.

The nubain wore off in an hour. I got a little bit more, I told them don't give me the whole dose, I felt too high on it. Between contractions I kept falling asleep for a few seconds and it made my O2 stats go down to 85-90% so this stupid thing kept beeping at me to wake up and breathe. Close to 3 I finally agreed to the epidural even though I didn't want it because no one would shut up about it and I just wanted them to leave me alone.

I got the epidural but it took them three different pumps to get it working since the pumps were all malfunctioning. They got it working a little bit, enough to take the edge off like the nubain but not make me sleepy, I still had complete control over my whole lower half which was perfect to me. Mom kept asking if I wanted to push my button for more but I told her no, I wanted to feel the urge to push, because I could feel the pressure and I could feel him coming down. I told her get the nurse to check me.

Sure enough, it was about 4:30 now, I was complete, but oddly enough there was ANOTHER bag of water. She broke it- this one unfortunately had merconium in it-and he came right down into my pelvis and I told her I had to push he nurses all came in, I told him to take my epidural and turn it off, they said it was already wearing off according to the pump and I was surprised... I was expecting labor to be crazy intense and painful but it was just a lotttt of pressure. They massaged with oil and manipulated everything down there and stretched me out which was wonderful because it kept me intact.

I pushed until about 5 and watched the whole thing in a full length mirror. It was amazing. I reached down and felt his head, pulled my own legs back, kept vocalizing, told them to quit counting haha... they called the DR in at 5 when I was fully crowning (which burned like crazyyyy)... He had me push one more time when I felt the need to push and the head came right out- then he checked, no cord around the neck, and I pushed a little more and reach down to pull him and out he came, screaming bloody murder from the first second.

I got to hold him for about a minute before they took him over to suction him and have respiratory check him out. Luckily he didn't aspirate any of his stool on the way out- but I didn't get him back for about 30 minutes which was really upsetting. I kept begging to get up and go get him haha. Finally they brought him to me, it was amazing because he had been screaming the whole time over on the table but the second I said hello to him and cuddled him he stopped crying. I breast fed him and he watched me with those perfect little eyes and just took in the world. He was perfection <3

Caleb was born at 5:06- 7 lbs 15 oz, 20.5 inches long... I didn't rip or tear or get hemmoroids thank the lord. I was up and out of the bed in two hours after my blood pressure started to come back up (it wouldn't come up from 100/40 for a whiiiile). He stayed awake until about 8:30 just quietly watching everything and cuddling with me.

If I could have his labor and delivery every time I would have tons of kids... it was wonderful. Everything went so quickly and I was perfectly fine with no after birth complications or pains, with an easy going little guy that seems so curious about everything.

Welcome to the world, Bubby <3 Mommy loves you so much.


Thank you .:Shortcake:. for my awesome siggy!

Reply With Quote
April 4th, 2011, 06:36 PM
WillfulGirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,015
What an amazing story, I hope things go like that for me (except for the 45 minute drive in a snowstorm!!). Congrats!

Reply With Quote
April 4th, 2011, 07:09 PM
aprilmommy's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 302
Wow! Girlfriend, you are a rockstar! Huge congrats and props for being in charge or your birth experience! I hope mine is the same!

Reply With Quote
April 4th, 2011, 08:22 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,881
You sound like you were a champ!! Darn nurses and their epidural peddling! lol I think you did an awesome job and you did really take charge. Enjoy your little one!

One angel baby lost at 8 weeks in June 2016
Reply With Quote
April 5th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,230
What a great story! I love hearing how you pretty much did it natural. Congrats on your lil one.

Reply With Quote
April 6th, 2011, 06:49 AM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,881
Also- I meant to tell you that I LOVE SVU. I'm mostly obsessed. I watch the re-runs and watch on Tuesdays when they have it on all day, etc. It's sort of my comfort tv, lol. So I would love to go into labor while watching it!

One angel baby lost at 8 weeks in June 2016
Reply With Quote
April 6th, 2011, 09:46 AM
mrsfitz31b's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,164
Thanks ladies! Yeah, I was so freakin' blessed with my labor and delivery of Bubby... and with him. I was sure he'd be a nightmare baby because of how horrible pregnancy was for me, but he is the baby you dream of

I still wish I would have done it completely natural but it was such a great experience that I don't regret getting the epidural at the end. It let me relax a little bit but still feel everything since I wouldn't push the button.

Thank you .:Shortcake:. for my awesome siggy!

Reply With Quote
April 8th, 2011, 05:41 AM
wintereast's Avatar Theresa334
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,156
Congrats! Sounds like a great birth! I like how your epidural went minus the three attempts to get it in lol.

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0