Log In Sign Up

Hunter Samuels Natural Birth :) Pictures added

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2011, 11:54 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm a husker girl :)
Posts: 16,336
Hunter Samuel Kenkel
May 2, 2011
8lb2oz, 21 inches

Friday, April 29th we had our 40w1d appt with our CNM (Heather). Of course the main topic was if I was having any signs of labor. I was absolutely NOT. Not even a Braxton hick contraction. (I was fine with this, I was blessed with another easy pregnancy) and I was really hoping to go until at least May 4th, because that’s when Heather’s hospital delivery privileges kicked back in. It was a very uneventful appointment and we were happily scheduled to come back May 5th for a 41w appt and NST.
Sam and I went home and had a very normal night…but around 10PM I started feeling very “nesty” so I cleaned the kitchen, washed Brylie’s diapers, and picked up our bedroom and cleaned the bathroom. I went to bed around 1:00AM and woke up at 2:00AM thinking I had a dream that I had a contraction. I got up to pee and noticed I was having some weird pain, and then at 2:05AM I definitely had a contraction…and then at 2:10AM I had another contraction. Hmmm??? This went on like clockwork until 6:00AM. At 6:00AM the contractions were spaced to about 12-15 minutes. I also had my first and only bout of bloody show at 6:00AM.
Sam had left at 5:30AM to go feed cattle, so he could be back when Brylie woke up and help me with her. (I was having to really focus through the contractions. They were lasting anywhere from 40-55 seconds). Sam got home around 7:30 to be up with Brylie, and he made me some scrambled eggs. Sam took Brylie to her grandparents house so I could try to rest/labor .
Sam and Brylie got back home around 12:30PM and I was still contracting about every 8 minutes, so we decided to pack our hospital bags and head toward the city to walk the strip mall or something. We got ready to leave around 2:30PM and I decided to try pumping before we left. I pumped for about 10 minutes and got 3 really strong contractions, so I decided to see if that would continue or what. I figured if those were the only 3, Bebo just wasn’t ready yet and we left for the city.
The ride down was not fun. We live in the country and our gravel road..whoa was that a contraction inducing ¼ mile. The highway wasn’t much better.
So we got to Omaha around 4:00PM (it usually doesn’t take that long, but Sam had to stop on the way down a few times so I could work through a contraction, they were coming every 4-6 minutes at that point and lasting 45 seconds or so. We decided to way out to west Omaha adding about another 40 minutes to the drive. We ate hu hot (where I tried spicy food, but I hate spicy food and just couldn’t handle it) and then went to the mall to walk. I walked nonstop from 6PM-930PM and my contractions almost entirely STOPPED! What the heck?!! Discouraged we headed back home.
The car ride home was not any better than the car ride down. I was really contracting like crazy…roughly every 4 minutes at this point and they were lasting just under 60 seconds. I figured we would be heading down to the city sometime in the night. Around 11PM I took 2 tylenol PM and decided to try to rest and see what happened. I had no problems falling asleep and I slept like a rock until 3AM when I was woken up by a REALLY strong contraction. I had to almost moan through it! Five minutes later, the same thing. I woke Sam up and he stayed up with me until about 5AM and wouldn’t you know it, my contractions spaced out again to about 11-13 minutes apart. Sam and I hung out in bed, trying to sleep but I think we were both pretty anxious about what the day would bring.
Brylie woke up at 7:00AM and we decided to snuggle with her as much as possible because we both believed it would be our last chance to snuggle her as an “only” child. It was a very surreal moment…just laying there with the little family I’d spent the last 20 months with knowing that any day the family (and love) would be growing.
So once again, Sam got up and went to feed cattle and Brylie and I spent the morning watching a movie together…and I was definitely contracting. They were coming about every 6 minutes and lasting 50 seconds – like clock work.
I’ll never forget…during a really intense contraction I was leaning against the wall and rocking my hips and Brylie came over and did the same thing. It was so sweet! (Much sweeter than the contraction where she ran up to me and hit my belly three times saying MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY!!) ☺
Sam got home I think around 11:00AM. We decided to page Heather and just ask her what she thought about the long, slow labor. (We also called our Bradley instructor just to get her opinion, as well as our doula). Heather told me that I needed to have sex with Sam…I told her she was NUTS. There is no way I was having sex when I was contracting every 5 minutes. She suggested nipple stim, rest, and said if I was really desperate I could go in to L&D and get checked and see if AROM would be an option…or if I was REALLY desperate, I could try castor oil. I told her I was definitely not to the point of AROM or Castor oil.
We decided to head down for brunch. I can’t explain to you how delicious brunch was but how absolutely miserable sitting there was. I was contracting like clock work…every 3 minutes and the shortest one was 45 seconds.
So we decided to go to target and walk….my contractions STOPPED! Again! I was so discouraged.
I told Sam there was no way in HELL I was going back home until this baby was born because the car ride was so painful. We decided checking in to the hotel (literally) right across the street from the hospital was going to be our best option. I took 2 more Tylenol PM and Sam and Brylie went to Cabellas (Bry got her first fishing rod!) I slept for about 2 ½ hours and Sam and B got back and we decided to call Kristen (our doula) and figure out what to do. During the time I was sleeping, I was woken up every 10 minutes (like clockwork again) and had to kind of moan through contractions. I was glad I was alone because I felt like I was really getting somewhere.
I decided to try talking to the baby during contractions and telling him it was okay to come out and that he didn’t have to wait until May 4th. If he was ready, we were ready. It seemed to help a LOT. My contractions were the most intense they’d been when I would talk to him. I definitely had to focus but they were still 10 minutes apart.
By now it was probably about 8:00PM on Sunday night. About this time Sam’s mom showed up with a few things we’d forgotten at home and Kristen showed up to discuss the situation. I think Kristen could see I was discouraged. She brought a rebozo with her and showed Sam how to use it on my belly and she showed me some positions to try to encourage things. It was a pretty unanimous decision at this point that Bebo was in a bad position and that’s why labor just wasn’t kicking in. I told Kristen I was going to try pumping again, but she didn’t think it was a good idea. She reminded me that while natural augmentations are better than medical augmentations, and have a time and a place, they still mess with the natural process and there was usually a reason why labor wasn’t kicking in. She told me to drink some wine and try to sleep. We were going to hold of the rebozo until morning as well so I could try to rest. I told Kristen that Sam and I had talked about going in just so I could get checked and see where I was. She said she supported whatever we chose, but since I was already so discouraged she didn't think it was a good idea. Based on how I was handling my contractions we figured I was probably 1-2cm. I also told her I was considering making an appt for in the morning to see if Dr. Finley would put the foley bulb in and that I was possibly going to make an acupuncture appt. She offered me Blue/Black cohosh but I declined because I don't know enough about it and Kristen did caution it could have a "narcotic" like side effect on the baby.
Around 9PM Sam and I decided to get some dinner (bad parenting moment!) and headed to Applebees. During dinner my contractions started coming about every 3 minutes and I think I freaked our waiter out, because he stopped coming to the table and would ask us if we needed anything from quite a ways away! Haha ☺
We left applebees and I told Sam I wanted to get me some earbuds for my iPod and a yoga ball so he went in to wal mart and I stayed in the car thinking my contractions would continue on the 3 minute pattern (walking fizzed them out, car rides and restaurants intensified them). No such luck…they fizzed out to 10 minutes apart again.
I had given up at that point and decided that I was going to make an appt. with Heather in the morning and see where I was and what was going on in there. I had pretty much decided that I was going to ask for the foley bulb if I was less than 4cm (I was pretty sure I was MAYBE 2cm at this point) I was just so mentally exhausted. I wanted either hard labor to kick in, or the prodromal to just go the heck away! I remember I kept telling Sam I never thought “spontaneous” labor would be more challenging than Brylie’s induction.
We got back to the hotel around 11:00PM and Sam got Brylie in her pack and play and I stayed in the car hoping contractions would kick back in…and prayed and talked to the baby and told him it was okay to come out if he was ready, but if he wasn’t could he please give mommy a break so I could rest and be ready to bond with him once he was out here.
My contractions spaced out to about 15 minutes apart at this point.
I went in to the room and got in to bed and just cried to Sam and asked him just to lay with me for awhile (our room had 2 full size beds so we planned on sleeping separately to be more comfortable). I had a contraction while we were laying there that was painful. I hadn’t had many that I would have described as painful so I got annoyed. Prodromal labor and now it was going to be painful??? Sigh.
10 minutes later another painful contraction. This 10 minute pattern kept up all night long and I had to have Sam help me work through the pain for the first time the whole labor. I decided in my head that the baby was going to be born on Wednesday around 2:00AM and I would need Kristen and Sam all day Monday and Tuesday, so we didn’t call Kristen that night so everyone could rest.
Around 5:30AM I had a contraction that started Sam and he woke Brylie up because he was moving around so loudly. Brylie was screaming and I decided to get in the shower to get away from the noise. The shower felt more amazing than I could ever describe…my pain was instantly gone.
I started feeling this weird pressure that came about every 30 seconds (or so it seemed, I wasn’t timing anything at all) so I got excited and thought that Bebo was finally changing positions!
Sometime around 6:00AM I yelled for Sam and said I thought he needed to call Kristen and Heather and get ready to go to the hospital. Heather said she would call the hospital and let them know we were on our way and she would call Dr. Finley. Sam also called Katina (our birth photographer) so everyone would be there A few minutes later I yelled at Sam to come back in and I started crying and I was like WE DON’T HAVE ANYONE TO WATCH BRYLIE!!! And then I kind of looked at him and sobbed and said “I think I’m in transition?!” and he was like “you’re past that, I have to call heather” and took off out of the bathroom. I turned the shower off and realized I needed to push! It took all my effort to get out of the shower and hobble over to Sam. I told him to tell Heather I was having this baby in the hotel and she needed to come there NOW. I heard her tell Sam that he HAD to get me to the hospital no matter what. Sam helped me find a shirt to put on and got me in my pants (Im sure that was cute, walking around the hotel in an almost transparent pink shirt and yoga pants, haha!!) and he ran out of the hotel to pull the suburban around. I somehow managed to hobble out the front door (Sam pulled the suburban around to the SIDE door of the hotel so I was screaming his name and trying to run to the suburban!)
Sam lifted me up (literally) into the hatch of the suburban and we got on our way to the hospital (literally right across the street). I rode on hands and knees and I remember telling Sam I had to push and he was like “try not to get blood on the carpet back there!” and Brylie laughed and clapped with such delight and said “YAY MOMMY!!!”.
We pulled up to the stop light and I had the most intense urge to push and I was begging Sam to run the light but there was morning traffic and it was a busy intersection, so obviously he couldn’t do that.. Finally the light changed and we got to the hospital. Sam parked on the sidewalk (literally) of the ER, grabbed Brylie and opened the hatch so I could get out (that was awful, by the way). I walked in to the ER and the clerk was like “good morning, how may I help you today?” and I was like “Well, I’m going to have a baby” (I was not calm) and he was like “oh, are you here for an induction?” and I was like “No, I’m pushing right now!” and he was like “ohhh” and hit a button and 3 nurses came running around the corner with a wheelchair.
The first nurse was like “Good morning ma’am we’re going to need you to sit down here and we’ll take you upstairs!” . I was dumbfounded. Was this chick serious?? I remember asking her “What kind of freak show is this!? I can’t sit down!” and she was like “you have to” so I sat on my knees and said “GO” they were like “You have to sit on your bottom, Miss” and I was like “IM PUSHING” … boy they took off then!
We got up to the room and the nurses were waiting for me. I immediately said FILL THE TUB!! One nurse said “honey, we can’t deliver in the tub.” I told her Dr. Finley said it was fine and as soon as I said that, another nurse was in the bathroom running the water.
I hobbled over to the bed and said “I’m guna push!” a nurse asked if she could check me and I said “Why? I have to push!” She checked me (and I looked at the clock, it was about 6:45AM) and said “I am pretty sure you’re complete, but I can’t feel much from this angle”
Someone asked me when my water had broken and I said it never did that I was aware of, but apparently it had at some point.
They proceeded to look for fetal heart tones (they found either mine or the baby’s and it was 90, so I assume it was mine) and I told them to get that thing off my belly.
About this time I asked Sam if he had the camera and he said “oh ****! No! DON’T YOU DARE HAVE THAT BABY YET” and took off out the door to go back to the car to get the camera…so there I waited, fighting the urge to push AGAIN!
A nurse told me that Dr. Finley wasn’t there yet and did I care if Pam delivered. I said “Who the hell is Pam?!!” and one of the midwives from the office we previously went to was like “Me Chelsea!” and I was like “Oh I Really don’t care, I just have to push…can I get in the tub yet?!” The nurse yelled it wasn’t full enough yet and I was just done – I climbed on the bed and laid on my side and started pushing…Sam (and my doula) walked in about that time (Heather had been there for awhile, I’m not sure how long, but she was sitting on the couch with Brylie) and then I decided being on my side was awful and got onto my hands and knees. About that time Kristen asked Sam if he wanted to catch the baby (We’d decided if I didn’t do a tub delivery that Sam maybe wanted to catch) and Sam said he did. I pushed once and it felt completely unproductive, which discouraged me. I hung out for a few minutes (it seemed like hours) until I had another urge to push…and I pushed so hard. I felt the baby move down and kind of start to come out, but then the urge was gone again. Another urge came (it seemed like hours again) and I felt his head crown…and I just decided to push with all I had to get it out. (probably wasn’t the best idea, since I tore but I couldn’t wait to have my baby!) So I pushed so hard I screamed and I felt his head pop out and I waited a second and pushed out the rest of his body right into his daddy’s hands! Sam yelled IT’S A BOY and someone handed him to me between my legs. I just sat there and all I said was “I think you’re smaller than your sister was!” I sat there for a good while, trying to figure out how to turn around without falling off the bed.
Dr. Finley came in about that time and told me congratulations and helped me turn around so I could really see my baby. I just held him and kissed him and Dr. Finley told me the cord had stopped pulsating, had me feel it for myself (it didn’t take long at all, maybe 10 minutes at the most?) and then Sam cut the cord.
I told the nurses “Someone weigh this baby, I have to know how much he weighs!” When they told me 8.2# I didn’t believe them at all. He just seemed so tiny! Dr. Finely checked me for tears during this time (I remember asking if I could have the epidural now, because it hurt so badly)..He told me I had one tear that could use 1-2 stitches. I asked if we could wait to see if it stopped bleeding on its own and avoid stitches, and he was fine with it. Heather came over and looked and told me about how big it was and said it was probably fine not to stitch it. During this time I demanded my baby back and Dr. Finley was like “What are you guys doing over there? MOM WANTS BABY” … I had little Boy Kenkel in my hands within seconds. ☺

I held him for hours totally naked. I think he was roughly 6 hours old when we put his first diaper on him and we did the infant breast crawl to initiate nursing (totally cool). We declined all newborn procedures and circumcision and have just been loving on this little man ever since!
Hunter was also born with the cord around his neck and the cord had a true knot in it! There are pictures of it, but I can’t find my USB and I haven’t seen the pictures the other people took yet. I will share them soon!


Brylie and Heather (CNM) watching Hunter enter the world

into dad's hands

I was right! it's a boy! (You can see the knot in the cord, too!)

daddy handing him to me

Brylie meeting her brother

true knot in his cord

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth

Last edited by ChicaChels; May 10th, 2011 at 08:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
May 5th, 2011, 01:28 AM
SuperMommy to 5
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 923
Wow!! That was an awesome natural birth story despite the stops and starts. It brought tears to my eyes about daddy catching his son. Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing.
Me (32) + DH (32) = DD (10), DS (8), DS (6), DD (4) & Tiebreaker... Baby Boy born May 23, 2011 @ 8:03am weight 7lbs 5ozs height 18.5"

Reply With Quote
May 5th, 2011, 05:27 AM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,509
Welcome Hunter!! Now that is an entrance

Reply With Quote
May 5th, 2011, 05:31 AM
LuvMyLwAaMr's Avatar *Heather*
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY (not the city)
Posts: 1,330
Amazing story!! Congrats on your handsome little man!!!

Reply With Quote
May 5th, 2011, 05:44 AM
gypsystar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,466
What an amazing birth story! I'm so glad you were able to get the labor you wanted and that Sam was able to catch Hunter.

Forever Missing Katriel Star (17 weeks) and Sebastian Judah (14 weeks)

Reply With Quote
May 5th, 2011, 06:19 AM
eva_luvs_dave's Avatar team green!
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 5,754
Amazing story Chelsea!!!!!
Reply With Quote
May 5th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Leah W's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 1,700
I've really been looking forward to reading this - great story!

Reply With Quote
May 5th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,490
YOU GO GIRL! Craziness....I had similar but not as long experience with my first non induced baby....you just dont know what to expect.....HUGS!!!! I'm so happy your birth went as great as it did...I had to laugh at the hospital part cause they just have no clue sometimes! LOL....I totally know how you felt with the water thing....I jumped in the tub with my last baby when there was like 6 inches of water cause I couldn't wait any longer....I didn't push until it was full but that was only luck! LOL....

Momma to Emma, Elzie, Gretchen, Olive, and Rogan

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
Reply With Quote
May 5th, 2011, 09:50 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulare, CA
Posts: 13,686
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Amazing birth story! Congrats on your beautiful baby boy and natural birth

Reply With Quote
May 5th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Pinkee~'s Avatar All girl momma!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: UT
Posts: 9,118
Wow, what a story! An amazing story. What did Brylie think of it being in the room with you guys? Congrats on your little man!

Reply With Quote
May 5th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 8,587
Great story, Chelsea!! Congratulations on your little boy!!
DS: 4
DD3: 9/19/14-10/19/14DS: 17months!

Mom to 4 beautiful kids! 3 on Earth and 1 in heaven. Our little girl, Matilda Hope had Down Syndrome. She was born with TMD, a disease that is like leukemia. She fought that and beat it. Then, she had liver failure. She beat that, too. On October 17, 2014 she had NEC, necrotizing enterocolitis. My baby went to Heaven on October 19, 2014. She lived exactly one month.
Reply With Quote
May 5th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Mommy to girls
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,014
Great birth story! I am hoping my hubby will catch this baby too!
Kim- Mommy to 5 girls
Reply With Quote
May 5th, 2011, 09:23 PM
mrsgranchango's Avatar Resident Thread Killer
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: down the road a'piece
Posts: 3,183
Wow! What a story! I have been looking forward to reading this! Congrats again, Chelsea!!

Reply With Quote
May 5th, 2011, 10:15 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm a husker girl :)
Posts: 16,336
thanks ladies....i am so sad its over! i want to birth him again and relive that moment

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
Reply With Quote
May 7th, 2011, 05:15 PM
xmandiex1315x's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 665
Congrats! I'm glad you got your natural birth!

Thank-you GraysMama for my awesome siggy!!
Reply With Quote
May 9th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Showbiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,646
Great story! I am so IMPRESSED that you could move around as well as you did - I also arrived at the hospital in the back of an SUV pushing (had been pushing for nearly 5 hours) and I couldn't walk or anything resembling walking! And I had the same experience with the nurses and the wheel chair What a wonderful story to share with your babies when they get older! Congratulations to you!

Reply With Quote
May 9th, 2011, 11:37 PM
PennyLynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,085
Awesome story - congrats!

Reply With Quote
May 12th, 2011, 10:18 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm a husker girl :)
Posts: 16,336
Originally Posted by Pinkee~ View Post
Wow, what a story! An amazing story. What did Brylie think of it being in the room with you guys? Congrats on your little man!

Brylie was great...she cheered the whole time "YAY MOMMY! BABY BABY BABY"....she was a little freaked by the placenta I guess so my CNM just took her out to get some juice

I'm so glad I spent so much time teaching her about birth, watching birth videos on youtube and vimeo, and I made her a book that I think really helped. She handled it flawlessly and made me so proud!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
Reply With Quote
May 12th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,490
Aww...the pics are amazing....thanks for sharing. The cord knot is very interesting. what a gymnast you had to get that done! lol...
Momma to Emma, Elzie, Gretchen, Olive, and Rogan

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
Reply With Quote
May 12th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Beth04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 4,056
wow, you sure went through a lot to have your baby! Congrats!

thank you gypsystar for my wonderful siggy!
Reply With Quote

may 11 bumblebee births

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0