Log In Sign Up

Samuel's Birth Story!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2011, 08:32 PM
WillfulGirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,015
Ok, so I'm going to try to make this as short as possible, it might be difficult considering I ended up in the hospital for five days!!

My doctor and I decided we were going to start the induction process at 41w2d. At this point, I was still only a fingertip dilated and 70% effaced so we went in Monday evening to start Cervadil. Earlier that day I had been feeling some Braxton Hicks here and there but when I got to the hospital I learned they were real contractions about 5-6 minutes apart! I was so excited that maybe I had gone into labor on my own and I wouldn't need the Cervadil, but when the doctor checked me my cervix was still the same so we went ahead and got things started.

Tuesday morning at about 6 they started the Pitocin. The nurse tried to check my cervix at that time but she couldn't reach it and it hurt like hell. So at that point I said no more vaginal checks until I say so, I wanted to concentrate on my labor and not worry about how I was progressing. I labored all day and the Pit was increased to 16. I spent a lot of time on my birthing ball, walking as much as possible, kneeling with my head on the bed, anything to get my labor to progress. My hospital is terrific, they operate like a birthing center and they were encouraging me every step of the way to stand up and move and use the ball. All of my nurses were absolutely terrific!

By 5 pm, my contractions were coming between 1 and 1 1/2 minutes apart. I still hadn't gotten any pain meds and I told my husband that I was ready to be checked to see how far I had progressed and then I would consider whether or not I wanted any help with the pain. My doctor came about a half hour later and checked and... I was still a fingertip dilated and maybe 80% effaced and the baby was still at -3 station! I couldn't believe that I hadn't made any progress in all that time and with my contractions being so strong and close together. So my doctor and I had a long talk and at the end of it I decided to have a c-section. At this point I was exhausted and almost physically ill from not eating so my doctor agreed to turn off the Pit and disconnect the iv so I could have dinner and do the c-section in the morning. I knew I needed to be stronger and in better spirits before I could go in and have the surgery. Plus the baby had not shown any stress during my labor so we knew he would be okay until morning. After the doctor turned off the Pitocin, my contractions almost completely stopped and I was able to relax and get a good night's sleep.

Wednesday morning, I got prepped for the c-section. Because I hadn't had an epidural the previous day they were able to give me a spinal block, which was totally awesome. The nurses and anesthesiologist were terrific, they held my hands and wiped away my tears until my husband could be in the room. When the surgery began, I realized I could see everything that was happening in the reflection of the surgical lights above, and since I am fascinated by medical procedures decided to watch my own c-section LOL! I watched the doctor pull out my baby's head and before the rest of his body came out he was screaming! Samuel Daniel was born at 8:04 am!

I told my husband to go see the baby because we still hadn't picked out a name yet and he had to tell me what he thought the baby looked like ha ha! He came back and said, "He looks like a Sam!" and so we had a name. His Apgar scores were 9 and 9, and he tried to grab the scissors when my husband was cutting his umbilical cord! We all went back to recovery and started to get to know our new son.

Despite not getting the birth that I wanted, I definitely ended up with the son I wanted. And I have been very lucky with my recovery, it has been very uneventful and quick. I was finally discharged late Friday afternoon, so one of the toughest things about Sam's birth was spending so much time in the hospital! We are absolutely in love with him and can't imagine our lives before we had him.

Samuel Daniel
Born 4/27/11 at 8:04 am
8 lb, 3 oz
22 inches long, 14 inch head


Last edited by WillfulGirl; May 7th, 2011 at 08:34 PM.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0