Log In Sign Up

The arrival of Claire Elise

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 8,587
On Tuesday May 10th, I had what would turn out to be my final OB appointment with this pregnancy. My appointment was uneventful except that my doctor scheduled my induction for May 27th at 4am. So, I still had about 2 weeks left before little girl arrived. I had plenty of time to finish getting ready for her. I still needed to put some of her clothes away, buy newborn diapers, wash the carseats, pack my bag. Plenty of time. DH and I were in disagreement about what to do with Allison because of the time of my induction. Do we stay at his parent's house that night or have her picked up in the morning? Do we leave her with friends? Should we have Grandma stay with us the night before so we don't have to wake up our daughter? That was my preference. We argued and couldn't agree.

Tuesday night, I couldn't sleep. No real reason, I was just restless. Usually by 8, I'm exhausted but at 11 I was still wide awake. Finally, after a snack and a little time on the computer, I headed to bed. I had 2 very unimpressive contractions about an hour apart. Allison woke up at 2am for a bottle and I brought her to bed with us. At 3 I woke up to turn over and felt something warm and wet. I thought, "did I just pee?" I moved again and it happened again. "My water did NOT just break. did it?" I got up, felt my pj's and they were wet. I went to the bathroom to see if I had pee'd because I did not believe that my water had just actually broken. The water was clear, didn't smell and as I sat down on the toilet, it GUSHED out of me. And it kept coming. I was now convinced that it wasn't pee. I sat there and thought, "now what do I do?" I wasn't having any contractions, so what do I do? Obviously, she was coming and I knew that if went right in, they'd start me on pitocin right away, which I did not want. So, I decided to pack my bag, get Allison's diaper bag ready to go, take a shower and hopefully get some contractions going. I made too much noise getting my suitcase out and DH woke up. I told him my water broke but to go back to sleep. (yeah right!) He got up and showered and asked what we were supposed to do. I told him my plan. About an hour later, we headed to the hospital, which is 40 minutes away. We decided to just have dh's mom come to the hospital and pick Allison up. On the ride there, I had several contractions but they stopped about as soon as we got there.

We got to L&D, I told them my water broke. They asked if I was wearing a pad and I said, "yes, and a towel." They took me to a room, had me get changed and give a urine sample. When I came out of the room, the nurse wanted to check the towel for amniotic fluid and I told her it was in the trash along with the pad I had been wearing, too. She came out and said that the towel and the pad weren't wet. Ummmmm......"the towel and pad were soaked. They're in the trash in the bathroom." She said that's what she had just looked at and it wasn't wet. I hoped at this point, that this broad wasn't going to be my nurse. If she couldn't find the soaking wet pad and towel I JUST put in the trash, we were going to have a problem. A new nurse came in and said she wanted to check me with the nitrozine paper. I opened my legs and she said, "oh! you're really, really wet. I don't even have to put the paper in you. It's all right there." Duh. She then checked my cervix and I was 3, 70% and baby was at a -2. Then they got my medical history, which freaked them out, started my IV, drew my blood, etc. I found out that my doctor was not on call. I was so sad but at least it wasn't the doctor that I didn't like so, I was fine with it. I told my nurse that if I could walk around to get things started, I'd like to. She said she'd ask the doctor. That was a big no and they started the pitocin. This is where things got tricky. The doctor on call had a plan to start a medication on me that I wasn't comfortable with, nor did my regular OB and I ever discuss. It's a blood thinner, which I'm normally on EXCEPT for when I'm in labor. There's too much of a risk for hemorraging, and I wanted to talk to the doctor myself on this one. Plus, they wanted to start the pit, do the epidural and then an hour later, start the heparin. With an epidural and being on this blood thinner, there's a risk to bleed into my spine and paralyze me. No thanks. The doctor came in and told me why I should be on heparin during labor. I still had some time before we started it and I wanted to think about it. I had a really great nurse that suggested I call my OB's office and ask to speak to him, even though he wasn't on call. I found out he was there in surgery. My nurse called the OR and left a message for my doctor to call back. He called back right away and told me he was in complete agreement with ME and to NOT let them start heparin on me. Yay! Thanks, doc. I told the nurse I was refusing the heparin. She was happy about it, too. The other doctor...eh, who cares. Anesthesia came in, started my epidural, which was AWESOME. It was such a good experience. I could still move around and he just did a perfect job. I told him he was my favorite doctor of the day. At this point, it was 11am. I could still feel the pressure of the contractions and could tell with my body what was happening. I could feel the baby moving down but I wasn't in pain. Plus, I relaxed a bit more once I had the stress of not getting the heparin on my mind. Now I could just focus on having my baby. DH and I hung out for a while, talking and laughing, playing on the computer. We actually got a little bored at one point. I wasn't having pain and we were just waiting. Then, the baby's heartrate dropped a bit during a contraction. I knew this was normal as baby gets closer to delivery. Still, it's scary. And it kept happening. I called my nurse to make sure she was paying attention to the monitor at the desk and she reassured me that baby was recovering well after the contractions. I asked her to check me again. I was 8. More contractions, more dropping heartrate. A couple minutes went by and she checked me again. I was complete and ready to push. She asked me to give a "practice" push to see how well I pushed. She yelled for the doctor to come in right away. Dh and the nurse held my legs back and I pushed 5 times and at 2:51pm, I delivered my beautiful Claire. They took her to the warmer right away and she cried and cried. So did I. They brought her right back to me after they weighed and measured her. We did skin to skin for 4 hours and I loved every second of it. I nursed her, held her, looked at her and fell in love. DH left to go pick up Allison so I was alone with her for a long time. It was amazing. It really was an effortless labor and delivery. I hope and pray the next one goes as smoothly. It was a wonderful experience. Oh, and I only had a little scratch that didn't need a repair!
DS: 4
DD3: 9/19/14-10/19/14DS: 17months!

Mom to 4 beautiful kids! 3 on Earth and 1 in heaven. Our little girl, Matilda Hope had Down Syndrome. She was born with TMD, a disease that is like leukemia. She fought that and beat it. Then, she had liver failure. She beat that, too. On October 17, 2014 she had NEC, necrotizing enterocolitis. My baby went to Heaven on October 19, 2014. She lived exactly one month.
Reply With Quote
May 15th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Mommy to girls
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,014
Great birth story! I'm glad everything went so smooth for you.
Kim- Mommy to 5 girls
Reply With Quote
May 15th, 2011, 12:53 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm a husker girl :)
Posts: 16,336
sounds like you had a great birth!!!
im sorry about the blood thinner ordeal..im glad you advocated for yourself and YOUR doctor backed you up! that's fantastic!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
Reply With Quote
May 15th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,490
Aw...glad your experience was so great for you! HUGS and good job standing up for what you believe in with your blood thinner! What a great birth!
Momma to Emma, Elzie, Gretchen, Olive, and Rogan

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
Reply With Quote
May 15th, 2011, 11:35 PM
SuperMommy to 5
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 923
Awesome job for standing up for yourself. Great birth story!
Me (32) + DH (32) = DD (10), DS (8), DS (6), DD (4) & Tiebreaker... Baby Boy born May 23, 2011 @ 8:03am weight 7lbs 5ozs height 18.5"

Reply With Quote
May 16th, 2011, 12:45 AM
eva_luvs_dave's Avatar team green!
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 5,754
Congrats!! Great story, tfs!
Reply With Quote
May 16th, 2011, 12:39 PM
mznikkieynkay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fellamere,Fl
Posts: 1,059
Congrats, great story!!

thanks graysMama for my siggy
Reply With Quote
May 16th, 2011, 04:12 PM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,509
How fortunate that your doctor was available to you when you needed him! Glad you had such a great experience

Reply With Quote
May 21st, 2011, 10:03 PM
Pinkee~'s Avatar All girl momma!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: UT
Posts: 9,118
Did anyone ever confirm the towel and pad were soaked?! What was that doc thinking about the blood thinner?! What a nut! Thank God for your doc!! Congrats on everything turning out ok and a great birth!

Reply With Quote

may 11 bumblebee births

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0