Log In Sign Up

Callie's Birth Story ~ May 23, 2011

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2011, 01:16 AM
no.absolutes's Avatar absolutelyNOT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,042
I have been through so much this pregnancy... between it taking 9 months to get pregnant to a little bit a gender disappointment to losing both my parents... it's just been crazy and I've been depressed in so many ways. Needless to say, once I hit 36 weeks, I've been doing "everything" I could think of to naturally have our baby girl.

Chris and I had sex the Friday before Callie was born (5/20) and I had some bleeding during my "clean up" shower. I mentioned it to Chris and I started having a few contractions. I got on my exercise ball and just rolled around. I felt fine, but decided to pack my bag just in case. At one point I told Chris it was time... but then I got in the bed and fell asleep.

Saturday I worked from 9-5 and I did all my normal duties at work. I felt well and energetic. I went to Wal-Mart and got stuff for dinner. Got home, and I made my dinner and then got really mad at Chris because he wanted different dinner than I wanted, so I went for a walk around the block (twice) without him. I think that was about 2 miles.

Sunday morning we woke up and had to do a photoshoot at the covered bridge. We were following around a 3 year old, climbing across a little creek, and "hiking" across wooden bridges. I had a great time with our client and at the location. I asked Chris to take a picture of me, but he said he wasn't really feeling well, and I honestly wasn't feeling that great by then either. Anyways, we went to eat lunch and then went home and put Grayson to bed for a nap and I decided to take a nap too... except I ended up not napping, if you know what I mean I did get in about an hour or so of a nap before I had to leave for work. So I worked from 5-10. For dinner I had some pizza and 2 cans of pineapple juice. When I got off work, I went by Wal-Mart. I contemplated getting some pads, but instead I got some castor oil and some stuff to make smoothies. I was not going to drink the castor oil, I was just going to try rubbing it on my belly.

When I got home from work, I ate some dinner and then Chris and I had sex again (3rd time that weekend!) - During my "clean up" shower, everything was fine. When I got out of the shower, I had to poop, and I did. I then, however, noticed a little blood. A few minutes after that, I started having some mild contractions. I think I had 3 contractions every 3 or 4 minutes. I was talking to a friend on AIM and pretty much using her as a log. I was pacing around the house and she told me to keep calm and breathe. I was probably in pre-labor and needed to hold out rather than go to the hospital and be sent home. Chris agreed and told me I should calm down and do my "ball thing". Anyways, the last thing I said to my friend was "again" to let her know another one had started.

After that I had two intense contractions that were very close together and crippling. I couldn't pace through these; instead, I got on the bed on all fours and rocked and rolled my hips back and forth... all the while screaming at Chris that I couldn't do "this sh--". When the second contraction ended, I felt a huge desire to poop again (which this isn't out of the ordinary for me. I have bad stomach issues sometimes). I went to poop and I felt something coming out. Chris was in the bathroom with me telling me to hurry so we could get dressed and leave. Well, I wasn't pooping... my water was breaking! Both Chris and I heard AND saw my bag pop and fluid gushed into the toilet and onto the floor.

At this point Chris kinda started to freak out, he was telling me to get up and get my clothes on because the hospital was an hour away and it was obviously time. I was still standing over the toilet and told him I couldn't leave, that I thought her head was out. I reached down and felt myself, and I was definitely crowning. Chris didn't really believe me but I sat down on the bathroom floor with my back against the bathtub and assumed "the position"... Chris took one look - "OMG YOU ARE! HER HEAD IS RIGHT THERE - YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE THIS BABY!!!"

I told Chris to get the phone and call 911, but he was more concerned with delivering the baby and he handed me the phone. As I called 911, her head started to come out. I don't really remember pushing, just a lot of breathing and trying to keep calm while telling the dispatcher where we lived. As her head came out, I pooped on Chris. Because I was on the phone, I could not reach her (I couldn't really reach her in the position anyways) but Chris HAD to wash his hands, so we rested her head on my ankle while he washed his hands really quick. When he got back, Chris says he put his hand inside to see if the cord was wrapped and it wasn't. After that, her left arm came out and we heard her cry. Chris was very adamant with me getting the baby out at this point. I feel bad for the dispatcher, I wasn't paying her a lick of attention. And then it happened, she was born and Chris gave her to me. To put everything into perspective, I had 3 contractions about 4 minutes apart, and 2 contractions one after another before my water breaking... so 18-20 minutes, and the dispatcher told me I called at 2:15am and her body was completely born at 2:16am.

Next the dispatcher told us we needed to find a towel to wipe her off with and something to clamp the cord with. Chris went outside to his workvan and got some 550 cord from his hiking trip he went on 2 weeks prior. As he was tying it to the cord, the police showed up. All the cop knew to do was to ask if we had a booger sucker. We did not. Anyways, he had no business really being in the house by this point. No one needed to see me in all my glory... at least not a cop that had no place at a delivery. Anyways, while Chris was getting another piece of 550 cord, the EMS showed up. They brought in a kit with cord clamps and clamped the cord and Chris got to cut it. After that he brought me two receiving blankets to wrap her up with and I asked him to go get the camera for some pictures. I knew no one would believe the story!... Heck, I think I even needed some proof. (And yes, the EMS looked at us like we were crazy, taking pictures and all).

Chris then took Callie and called his mom so she could come get Grayson. I had Chris get me a robe so I didn't have to ride in the ambulance naked. I got up and saw my pool of mess (it was so gross) and got some baby wipes and attempted to wipe off my thighs just a little bit. So I walked and got on the gurney and I was loaded up into the ambulance. Chris brought Callie to me and we explained to the ambulance that we wanted to go to OUR hospital. It was not the closest hospital and the EMS did not want to go all the way there, but we insisted. Chris's mom also got there just before we left, so she got to climb up in the ambulance and check out our beautiful baby. Callie was fine and I felt great, so there was no problem going 20 extra minutes. They kept checking my blood pressure and temperature. They said if anything was fishy they would have to take me to the closer hospital on the way. Whatever. I also had an IV block or whatever on my hand just in case I needed fluids and didn't have much movement (small hands, big needle)... anyways, I asked the EMS chick to help me get Callie to latch on, and we had no problems.

We got to the hospital just after 3am and my doctor got there around 4am to deliver the afterbirth. It was the most painful part of this birth. He had to push really hard on my stomach to get everything out, and I was holding Callie in one arm and trying to get away with my other arm. I felt more fluids coming out of me and I didn't get to keep the placenta like I wanted to. I didn't even ask.

Chris got to the hospital and shortly after they took Callie to the nursery. I had Chris go with them and he got a couple of pictures. Callie weighed in at 6lbs 6oz and was 19inches. While we were at the hospital, we had some mild complications and needed some monitoring. Turns out little miss's white blood cell count was a bit high, but as time went on it stabilized. Most likely it was because she was born at home, which wasn't "sterile" and also because we may have waited "too long" to clamp the cord (which I doubt was the case).

But anyways, she is here and she's perfect. We are all so in love... especially daddy, who gets to be listed on the birth certificate as the birth attendant (where the doctor's name usually goes). He is already wrapped around her little fingers. Welcome to the world, Callie Astrid Brewer!

(ps ~ I just rewrote this with more detail and in the Mane Event subforum for my reference and so it didn't get lost in the main forum)

Reply With Quote
May 28th, 2011, 03:07 AM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,389
I love this story. I think it's nuts the cop came in as well... Like you have beat up criminal knowledge, not birth knowledge. Get out!

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Cael Hollis 5/3/2013

Reply With Quote
May 28th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Savages_Wifey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 6,568
Send a message via AIM to Savages_Wifey Send a message via MSN to Savages_Wifey Send a message via Yahoo to Savages_Wifey
What an amazingly awesome story!!!

Reply With Quote
May 28th, 2011, 12:30 PM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 2,144
I love reading this story! It's like something you would see on tv. Congrats again and happy you and Callie are doing well.
Mom to:Zoey - June 4, 2011
Noah - October 21, 2012
Lexi - September 10, 2013

Reply With Quote
May 28th, 2011, 05:44 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kingston, NY
Posts: 5,057
Love it! I enjoyed reading this again

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

Reply With Quote
May 29th, 2011, 02:49 AM
LuvMyFurbabies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,521
Send a message via Yahoo to LuvMyFurbabies
What an amazing story and a beautiful baby too!! Love your pictures. I would have taken pics to prove what happened too. It is definitely a story that is hard to believe but now you have the proof!!

*Mommy to Brendan with Two Angels Above*
~Momma to 8 Furbabies (4 cats & 4 dogs)~

Reply With Quote
June 4th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Formerly LyndaSLP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 6,379
Wow! Amazing birth story! She is beautiful! Congratulations

Reply With Quote
June 8th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 548
I have now read this story so many times and am still amazed! Especially after having mine... wow are you tough and thank goodness it was quick Congrats on your cutie!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0